The following pages were nominated for Wikitravel:Collaboration of the month, but the consensus was generally against them. If you think it worthwhile to re-nominate one of these articles, be sure to draw up new tasks, and to address the arguments made against the nomination.
Edmonton is a ravishing city that most people don't think of and never look beyond the first glance. Anyways, I think it would be successful because it has definitely caught the attention of the website and I can tell I have changed many people's opinion of the city. They could help so much & I have asked numourous people if they would like to help, tons said yes, others still have no reply, but still. Because of that, I think it could be successful because tons of people will be working and people seeing the work will get involved. Personally, it's biggest fault right now is the grammar and style, I still screw that up sometimes leaving typos all over the place. Not to mention, I think it has been a while since a Canadian place got as much coverage as Edmonton is getting - if at all. I really hope to make this a viable DotM and leave the tracks to what could be some stars (Namely South Central, Central, and Main article pages). I am not asking for actual stars, but begin the path. From that, I believe personally that Edmonton needs:
- A well written Eat section in the main article - I don't know it just seems blah
- Make sure everything's mos
- MAPS MAPS MAPS - we've got a few down/under construction, but we need: LRT Map, South Central Map, East Central Map, North End Map. Each person has to be willing to update it.
- Create an article for Edmonton International Airport. That means research information and create maps and all that stuff into a new article just on it. We can make it like O Hare or Heathrow, even though Edmonton is smaller. This will solve the Edmonton-Leduc fu ss in every way.
- Get basic details to empty listings
- Research info on things and fill in listings (Wikitravel:listings )
- If anyone has good photos - upload them
- Fill in the Edmonton capital region page because its kinda bony
- Complete coverage for Sherwood Park, Saint Albert, Leduc, Nisku, Spruce Grove, and Morinville
Ultimately, I think we can do this. Most of it is just researching and grammar. For the maps, I can give all the information as to what to do first so it's not like you won't know. I hope this is the proper format and that people vote for it. Lets do this - a successful COTM! I would like to make it for January. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 12:59, 21 December 2008 (EST).
Ultimately, I think we can do this. Most of it is just Listingify and grammar. For the maps, I can give all the information as to what to do first so it's not like you won't know, but again, nobody needs to do a map. I hope this is the proper format and that people vote for it. Lets do this - a successful COTM! I would like to make it for January. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 12:59, 21 December 2008 (EST).
- A whole bunch of problems with this nomination. First, several of the tasks are meaningless: "get basic details" (does that mean contact info?), "research info on things," "Fill in the ECR page," "A well written eat section" (what does that mean, what are you looking for, and how can non-Edmontonians help with this?). Several of the tasks also are simply bad tasks for a nomination, as called out above. Asking CotM participants to do original research and writing is rarely productive. That's a big task, and a labor of love—if people don't have an especial interest in the destination, they're not likely to do this work. Ditto maps. Asking participants to "create and article" is a bad idea for the same reason. In this case, creating an article for Edmonton International would be inappropriate, because as a rule we do not create articles for airports unless they are city-sized—only for the largest airports in the world.
- As for why we should CotM Edmonton? The fact that it has been getting so much work done and so much attention does incline me to feature it. But it's already up to DotM status (IMO), so we don't need to work on it for that. We could conceivably work on this as a CotM to get it ready for a star nomination, but the articles are still too far from that goal. Once the districts are at guide status, this might be a good article to feature for that purpose. The useful tasks then, I would think, would be updating listings on maps and copyediting. I'm inclined to hold on to this nomination, but hold off on scheduling it. --Peter Talk 04:18, 23 December 2008 (EST)
- Thank you Peter, I thought I was doing it okay. I will re work the tasks. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 12:28, 23 December 2008 (EST).
- Make sure everything's properly mos
- Grammar - for the most part, I have terrible grammar and I would like that fixed
- Put listings in order
- Make sure everything is in proper district
- MAPS MAPS MAPS - I understand this is a big task so if people don't want to do any then that is fine. If anyone is interested, they can get a hold of me.
- Make sure all lisitngs have addresses, websites, etc.
- If anyone has good photos - upload them
- Fill in the Edmonton capital region if you know any information on it.
- coverage for Sherwood Park, Saint Albert, Leduc, Nisku, Spruce Grove, and Morinville. I mean they are quite off the radar, so maybe people could see if they know something or if a listing doesn't have address or, if they feel like it, they can research - but I won't make anyone.
- I redid it, I hope it is ok now. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 12:40, 23 December 2008 (EST).
- Oppose. This has been up for several months now, and I think it's time to slush it. Edmonton is a fine set of articles, and a lot of the issues stated here seem to have already been managed since this was written. Not to mention that I think Edmontonenthusiast was the only one really dedicated to working on Edmonton, so this might not stir very many contributions if made a CotM. PerryPlanet Talk 21:35, 20 September 2009 (EDT)
This is the second most visited theme park resort in the world, after Walt Disney World.
Jonathan 784 21:34, 6 February 2009 (EST)
- Don't support. These tasks do not meet the criteria for a successful cotm—maps are generally out of the scope of small scale contributions (although that might not quite be the case for this article), requests for "more information" usually go unheeded by contributors with little familiarity with the destination. Adding more pictures is a fine task, but this is definitely not enough to last us a month. All that said, districting Walt Disney World, and generally pushing it for a successful dotm nomination or star status could be a very good cotm. The tasks are already lined out on its talk page pretty well. --Peter Talk 01:00, 21 March 2009 (EDT)