Using abbreviations is encouraged.
These abbreviations should be uniform and consistent.
Note: The abbreviations below are emboldened for clarity of exposition but, of course, we don't use bold face for abbreviations in Wikitravel articles just because its an abbreviation!
- Building: Bldg
- 1st floor: 1F, 2nd floor: 2F, etc
- Wi-Fi is used for wireless internet using access points (hotspots)
In line with our Brevity is Best philosophy, most country abbreviations do not include full stops or periods:
- United States of America should be abbreviated as US without periods, not U.S.A. or U.S.
- United Kingdom should be abbreviated as UK without periods, not U.K. or GB.
Dates and times
See: Wikitravel:Time and date formats
Streets and roads
- Street: St
- Avenue: Ave
- Drive: Dr
- Court: Ct
- Road; Rd
- Boulevard: Blvd
- Freeway: Fwy
- Highway: Hwy
- Expressway: Expwy
- Lane: Ln
- Jalan: Jl (Road in Indonesia and Malaysia)
- kilometre or kilometres: km
- metre or metres: m
- centimetre or centimetres: cm
- mile or miles: mi
- inch or inches: in
- Celsius: °C
- Fahrenheit: °F
- year or years: yr
- hour or hours: hr
- minutes: min