Using abbreviations for commonly known titles is encouraged. The abbreviations used should be uniform.
Some country abbreviations include periods while others do not.
- United States of America - should be abbreviated as U.S. with periods, not U.S.A. or US.
- United Kingdom - should be abbreviated as UK without periods, not U.K. or GB.
Streets and roads
- Street is St
- Avenue is Ave
- Drive is Dr
- Court is Ct
- Road is Rd
- Boulevard is Blvd
- Freeway is Fwy
- Highway is Hwy
- Expressway is Expwy
- Lane is Ln
- Jalan is Jl (Road in Indonesia)
- Building is Bldg
- 1F is "1st floor", 2F is "2nd floor", etc.
Date and time
In listings, the days of the week should be abbreviated:
- Days should be M Tu W Th F Sa Su
Times should be either 12-hour time (e.g. 9AM, 5PM, noon or midnight) or 24-hour time (e.g. 17:00).
- kilometre or kilometres is km
- metre or metres is m
- centimetre or centimetres is cm
- mile or miles is mi
- inch is in
- Celsius is °C
- Fahrenheit is °F
- Wi-Fi is used for wireless internet using access points (hotspots)