West Palm Beach is in South Florida.
West Palm Beach is served by Palm Beach International Airport (PBI), a small, yet highly adequate airport. While both the Miami and the Ft. Lauderdale airports are busy, PBI is easy to get in and out of, and is about 5 minutes from downtown West Palm Beach. Travelers flying into South Florida or the Bahamas should strongly consider PBI.
West Palm Beach is easily accessible by Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike.
There are entire guidebooks dedicated to covering Palm Beach County. Here is just a short list:
- Flagler Museum, on the island of Palm Beach, features the restored home of Henry Flagler, co-founder of Standard Oil, and the man who conceived of Florida as a tourist destination. Tour his ($10 per person) home and have high tea ($28 per person).
There are over 40 miles of beautiful beaches in Palm Beach County. The proximity of the gulf stream keeps the waters warm year-round.
Shopping is a popular activity in West Palm, particularly considering the weather is so mild year-round. There are a number of places to shop, including:
- CityPlace, 2 recently-renovated blocks in downtown West Palm that now features dozens of high-end shops, including Brookstone; Pottery Barn; White House, Black Market; Macy's; and more.
- Clematis Street, runs perpindicular to CityPlace, and is the older, trendy shopping district, featuring Ann Taylor and several unique, eclectic shops.
- South Dixie Road provides several blocks of second-hand shops, from thrift stores to high-end antiques.
- Pizza Girls -- gourmet pies or pizza by the slice
- Rhythm Cafe -- American food, eclectic design, menu changes regularly
- ER Bradley's Saloon -- bar food in sight of the Intracoastal
- India Palace -- great Indian food
- Legal Seafoods -- excellent seafood and service
- Blue Martini -- well-made drinks and live music on the weekends
- Bacio is a gelateria in CityPlace that boasts some of the best sweets in West Palm. Moreover, it's lower in fat than traditional ice cream.
- Clematis by Night, sponsored by the City of West Palm, is a lively event each Thursday on Clematis Street. There's live music, and the audience can purchase beer and wine -- poured by a (rotating) area non-profit, who gets to keep the profits. Imagine: drinking and doing good!
- O'Shea's Pub is a traditional Irish pub with a great beer garden on Clematis.
- The Blue Martini, an upscale martini bar (martinis run about $15 apiece), featuring al fresco and a weekend jazz band, dining in CityPlace.
- Paradise Bar and Grill, on Clematis, features cheap pitchers and live bands on weekends.
Hotel Biba is a funky, sea-foam-colored hotel with colorful, ultra-modern decor. Located about 3 miles south of Clematis Street, Hotel Biba bills itself as "a 43-room historic landmark boutique hotel." The hotel features Biba Bar, a hip nightclub featuring live music on the weekends. For more information, contact: 561.832.0094 or email@example.com.
There are a lot of interesting cities surrounding West Palm, including Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens to the north, and Delray Beach, Boca Raton, and Boynton Beach all to the south.