Oroville (Washington)|Oroville]] |+|
Revision as of 08:22, 18 March 2013
An overhead shot of the Wenatchee area.
Wenatchee  is a mid-size metropolitan area located within the North Cascades region of Washington State. The greater area also incorporates East Wenatchee.
The Sellar Bridge, which connects East and West Wenatchee.
Wenatchee is located at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia Rivers and is within the rain shadow of the Cascade Range, which means that unlike cities in western Washington, Wenatchee sees nearly 300 days of sunshine per year. It’s climate is very similar to that of other eastern Washington cities, yet it still retains the picturesque views of the Cascade mountains.
It is believe by archeologists that an ancient people had migrated to the Wenatchee area during the last ice, some 12,000 years ago. This belief is based on many Clovis artifacts that have been found in or around the greater Wenatchee. These ancient people are thought to be the descendants of whom would later become known as the Yakima Indians. White settlers began to move into the area during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s and colonization began.
The Wenatchee Valley provides an ideal climate for agricultural, and therefore, the area has become widely known for its produce. There are a plethora of orchards in the valley, especially Apple orchards, from which Wenatchee has earned the slogan “Apple Capital of the World.”
In recent years, the city has seen substantial growth within its communities. The greater Wenatchee area incorporates East Wenatchee, which lies on the opposite side of the Columbia River, as well as Rock Island and Malaga. The greater area has a population estimated at over 100,000 residents. It is a popular destination for outdoor adventurers and enthusiasts looking to find a refreshing getaway from their every day surroundings.
- Pangborn Memorial Airport (IATA: EAT) is the closest airport to Wenatchee (15 minutes away). The airport has three Horizon Airlines flights a day to Seattle/Tacoma.
- Greyhound, the bus terminal is located at 300 S. Columbia Street, Wenatchee, WA 98801.
- Amtrak, Kittitas & S Columbia St. Wenatchee is served by Amtrak's Empire Builder line.
- Antique Shop District
- Chateau Faire La Pont Winery
- Childrens Discovery Museum, Riverside Playhouse, and Music Theatre
- Ohme Gardens
- Stemilt Growers
- Wenatchee Confluence State Park
- Wenatchee Confrence Center, Stanley Civic Center, and B of A Performing Arts Center
- Wenatchee Valley Museum
- Walk the Apple Capital Loop Trail  along the Columbia River waterfront of Wenatchee and East Wenatchee
- Best Western Chieftain Inn, 1017 N Wenatchee Avenue, ☎ +1 509 665-8585 (toll free: +1 877 203-8585, fax: +1 509 665-9745), .
- Holiday Inn Express, 1921 N.Wenatchee Ave., ☎ +1 509 663-6355, .
- Central Washington Hospital, 1201 South Miller Street, Wenatchee, WA 98801. phone="+1 509 662-1511"
- Wenatchee Valley Medical Center, 820 N. Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee, WA 98801. phone="+1 509 663-8711"
- Chelan County Historical Museum
- Earthquake Point
- Echo Valley - ski resort
- Golden West Visitors Center
- Lake Chelan - ride the boat to Stehekin
- Lake Chelan State Park
- Lake Wenatchee State Park
- Leavenworth - ski resort
- Lincoln Rock State Park
- Mission Ridge - ski resort
- Peshastin Pinnacles State Park
- Squilchuck State Park
- Twenty Five Mile Creek State Park