: East Africa
: Volcanoes National Park
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 08:45, 7 July 2011
Volcanoes National Park is an extraordinary park in Rwanda, full of impressive tropical rainforest and volcanic scenery, trekking, and is perhaps the best place in the world to see the rare mountain gorillas.
In the heart of Central Africa, so high up that you shiver more than you sweat," wrote the eminent primatologist Dian Fossey, "are great, old volcanoes towering up almost 15,000 feet, and nearly covered with rich, green rainforest - the Virungas". Situated in the far northwest of Rwanda, the Parc des Volcans protects the steep slopes of this magnificent mountain range - home of the rare mountain gorilla - and the rich mosaic of montane ecosystems, which embrace evergreen and bamboo forest, open grassland, swamp and heath.
Flora and fauna
Prices to obtain permit for Volcanoes National Park to view Mountain Gorillas (April 2010):
- Foreign Visitor $500
- Foreign Resident $250
- Rwandan Citizen 20,000 Rwandan Francs= roughly $33-$35
- East African Community Citizen $200
- East African Community Foreign Resident $300
- Rwandan Student 2,000 Rwandese Francs = roughly $3.5-$4
- East African Community Student = $150
- Foreign Resident Student in Rwanda = $150
Luxury Safari Lodges
- Virunga Safari Lodge, ☎ +44 (0)870 870 8480 (email@example.com, fax: +44 (0)870 870 8481), . The Virunga Safari Lodge is located in a spectacular location overlooking the Virunga volcanoes and shimmering lakes Ruhondo and Bulera. It was named the 'finest safari lodge in Africa' by American Senator, Bill Frist.