Vilnius is the capital and largest city of Lithuania. It lies in the valley of the confluence of Neris and Vilnia rivers and has 527,930 inhabitants (2013 statistics). Along with Linz, Austria, Vilnius was the European Capital of Culture in 2009.
Gate of Dawn from the outside
The word Vilnius is a masculine form of a Vilnia river's name (which is feminine) and refers to the river surge. Therefore a variety of spelling in other languages (Vilna, Wilna, Vilno, Wilno) is in fact the same word adapted to the corresponding grammar. The area was inhabited since the Mesolithic era, however it became a capital city only since 1323 when Grand Duke Gediminas transferred the Seat from Trakai to Vilnius. A monument to Gediminas (author of the concept is a Lithuanian-American sculptor Vytautas Kašuba) stands in Cathedral Square near the site of the former pagan temple. The Grand Duke is depicted at the moment when he made a final decision, dismounted from his horse and blessed the land which will become the capital; its glory shall echo like an iron-wolf-like sound throughout the world. The howling Iron Wolf from the Grand Duke's prophetic dream is depicted below. These two key names, Gediminas and the Iron Wolf (Geležinis vilkas), along with the motif of the howling iron wolf you can find quite a few everywhere in Vilnius, they are branched into the forms of daily life so naturally that are almost imperceptible, unless you're purposely looking for them.
History and people
You just entered the Old Town through the Gate of Dawn early in the morning
As a capital Vilnius has always been a multinational city populated by Lithuanians, Germans, Slavs and Jews from time immemorial. It may be useful to know that the original city location is lost due to erosion, the present days Old Town appeared in the Middle Ages when the inhabitants were forced to settle there from the heights of a Vilnia river bank which became impossible to live. Prior to that the area was not a wasteland, the colonies of German and Ruthenian merchants and missionaries existed there, they evolved into German Town and Ruthenian Town respectively, which eventually turned into suburbs and finally fully integrated into the city. Now they can be identified by a cute Lutheran Kirche hidden in a one of numerous courtyards of the Old Town, and a complex of the Orthodox Monastery and Church of the Holy Spirit. Since 1652 Vilnius formally became one of the principal cities for Lithuanian Jews and became a symbolic capital of Jewish culture in 1661. Since 19th century the Jews of Vilnius became constantly increasing economical factor, it remained so until 22 Jun 1941. According to the data of Jewish Community of Lithuania, among the 100,000 victims murdered by the Nazis and their Lithuanian collaborators at the forest of Paneriai, some 70,000 Jews were from Vilnius and surrounding regions. After the war, most of the urban Polish population moved to Poland, the newcomers (mostly workers and military) arrived from Russian SFSR. During extensive urbanization in 1950-1970 more people from other parts of Lithuania, neighbouring parts of Belarus, as well as Russia, Ukraine and other Soviet republics arrived and became an integral part of the city population. According to the census of 2012, Vilnius' population includes 63.2% Lithuanians, 16.5% Poles, 12% Russians, 3.5% Belarusians and 4.8% others. For comparison to 2001: 57.8% Lithuanians, 18.7% Poles, 14% Russians, 4.0% Belarusians, 1.3% Ukrainians, 0.5% Jews and 5.5% others.
Vilnius Tourist Information Centre (Vilniaus turizmo informacijos centras) has 3 offices in the city and one office at the air port - in a lobby of the arrival terminal near the main exit. Three other offices are located in relevant spots of the Old Town: within premises of Town Hall (Didžioji St 31), near the Royal Palace (Šventaragis St 2) and near the centre between Hotel Novotel and the Museum Of Radziwiłł Palace (Vilnius St 22). ☎ At the air port +370 5 230-6841; at the Town Hall +370 5 262-6470; at Vilnius St 22 +370 5 262-9660 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 262-8169). Working hours slightly vary, roughly 09:00-18:00, longer at the air port. Provides various information (free of charge), organize tours (tour price varies), offer various publications and maps for regular price; some leaflets and maps with a very basic info may be offered (if available) for free or a symbolic price.
Jewish Culture and Information Center Mėsinių St 3A/5, (Old Town, behind the Town Hall and Contemporary Art Centre), ☎ +370 5 261-6422 (email@example.com). M-F 12:00-18:00, Sa 12:00-16:00. Provides all information related to Jewish heritage in Vilnius, provides assistance and organizes tours. Up to date information (also in English language) is provided at the social website of the Centre.
Vilnius International Airport (VNO)
Vilnius International Airport (IATA: VNO), Rodūnios kelias 10a, +370 5 230-6666, is the largest civil airport in Lithuania and is located 6 km south of city center.
The following airlines operate to and from Vilnius International Airport:
Aerosvit Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil),
airBaltic (Copenhagen, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Riga, Rome-Fiumicino, Tallinn, London-Gatwick (seasonal)),
Austrian Airlines (Vienna),
Brussels Airlines (Brussels),
Czech Airlines (Prague),
Estonian Air (Amsterdam, Tallinn),
LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw),
Norwegian Air Shuttle (Oslo-Gardermoen),
Ryanair (London-Stansted, Milan-Bergamo, Rome, Dublin...)
Scandinavian Airlines (Copenhagen),
UTair Aviation (Moscow-Vnukovo),
Wizzair (London-Luton, Dortmund, Barcelona, Milan-Bergamo, Doncaster-Sheffield, Liverpool, Eindhoven...).
Transfers from Vilnius airport to Vilnius centre
Vilnius airport railway stop (no other trains stop there)
- By bus: The bus ride to the center takes 15 minutes and buses depart from the airport every 10–15 minutes. Tickets can be purchased from the driver for 3.50LTL or from a kiosk for 2.20LTL. Only one piece of hand luggage the size of single seat is allowed. For larger luggage, extra tickets should be bought.
- Bus #1 goes from the airport (lithuanian: Oro uostas) to the central bus/train station ("Stotis").
- Bus #2 goes from the airport to the bus/train station , passing the football stadium at Liepkalnis street.
- Bus #88 goes from the airport to the City Business Centre (Konstitucijos avenue, Europa square), riding through the Old Town first.
- Bus #3G goes to the north through the centre (Lukiškės square), business centre (Konstitucijos avenue), continuing on to Fabijoniškės sleeping district in the north, near beginning of the A2 highway towards Riga (within city limits the highway is called Ukmergė street). The bus number's trailing letter "G" on a green background stands for "Greitasis" which means "Express bus". It stops at all relevant stops in the centre, while skipping some regular stops before and after the centre.
- By train: Lietuvos Geležinkeliai operates trains from the airport to the main train station for 2.50LTL. The train ride takes 7 minutes, but trains depart every ~45 minutes.
- By taxi: It is recommended that you follow the local practice and book the taxi online before arrival or by phone. There also are taxis waiting at the airport in front of the arrivals terminal. In order to avoid misunderstandings, know your destination because all average prices are for the distance from the airport to the bus station (~30 LTL) or the centre (~50 LTL), but if your hotel is somewhere further then the price can be double or triple. Prices per km are not fixed for ever, they are highly dependent on fuel prices therefore all figures above should be interpreted as approximate. Specific info on taxi prices at the air port can be found at Vilnius air port website "Transportation" section.
Kaunas International Airport (KUN)
Kaunas International Airport (IATA: KUN), is the second busiest civil airport in Lithuania located ~100km west of Vilnius in a small town Karmėlava NE of Kaunas.
Transfers from Kaunas airport to Vilnius
- There are direct scheduled minibus rides from Kaunas Airport to Vilnius railway station after each arriving flight. The same buses go to Kaunas Airport from Panorama Hotel before each outgoing flight.
- Kaunas city bus #29 goes regularly from the airport to Kaunas railway station in the centre where you can transfer to a train or intercity bus to Vilnius.
Vilnius train station in winter: double-decker EMU EJ575 Vilnius-Kaunas. Note that the deep snow never causes any inconveniences to the railway traffic in Lithuania.
Lietuvos Geležinkeliai operates trains from major destinations. There are daily train connections with Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad and Minsk. One train per day used to go to Warsaw, it's now temporarily canceled due to railway reconstruction between the border and Kazlų Rūda town. The train station in Vilnius is located just south of downtown.
Motorways serve Vilnius from Kaunas and Panevėžys. The modern four-lane motorways and main roads are in a very good state, however, in the winter smaller roads are not cleared. The speed-limit is 130kph on the motorways (110 kph in winter), but 100 kph on the Vilnius-Kaunas sector, 90 kph outside towns and 50kph in town.
The bus station is located across the street from the main train station. A schedule of all regional buses is posted near the ticket window.
Eurolines and Ecolines operate service between Vilnius and Kaunas, Kaliningrad, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and Warsaw, with further connections all over Europe.
You can find schedules for both domestic and international intercity buses at Bus Tickets site; alternative Transport schedules website gives both bus and train schedules, but requires the correct typing of lithuanian letters in the search line.
. Same type of tickets is used for both bus or trolleybus, however bus and trolleybus route networks are separate, as well as schedules and route (line) numbering.
Inside the bus from left to right: you can see two red mechanical punches, yellow electronic punch for electronic tickets, and yellow electromechanical punch for paper tickets, partially hidden by a former punch.
Although the Old Town is one of the largest in Europe, it can easily be explored on foot.
By bus or trolleybus
Vilnius Transport operates buses and trolleybuses in Vilnius. A single ticket for either bus or trolleybus use costs 3.50LTL, purchased from the driver (cash only) or 2.20LTL if a Vilniečio kortelė (Vilnius Citizen Card) is purchased from a kiosk or Maxima supermarket for 4LTL. When changing buses, you need a new paper ticket. Paper tickets need to be stamped/validated by using one of two ticket punches: mechanical (the tiny red machine near the driver - put a ticket in and pull the rear part towards you to punch it) or electromechanical (yellow or brown punch with a slot - insert your ticket and it will be stampped) or by swiping the Vilnius Citizen debit card at the yellow electronic readers. Validate your ticket immediatelly after boarding the vehicle. Controls are regular, especially during the first days of each month and hefty fines are issued to those without validated tickets. There is a 50% discount for students and elderly people, both in public and private buses. The Vilnius City Card includes unlimited use of public transportation.
See official public transport route map.
Beware that trolleybuses and other buses use the same numbering system but the routes are completely different.
There are several routes of the fast buses (not trolleybuses) called "Greitasis" (Express) which stop only at major stops and connect important parts of the city (residential districts - centre - air port and such), they have the route number with a trailing letter "G" on a green background, the schedules and routes are marked in green. Routes and numbers of the regular buses are marked in blue, those of the trolleybuses are marked in red.
A regular cab may cost about 15-20LTL if you need to get from periphery of the city to the centre. You should always call a taxi by phone, even if you see a taxi on the street nearby. Street taxis charge as much as twice the price as taxis called by phone. Good practice is to dial the number written on the vehicle you see, tell dispatcher the address you're at, and you will most likely get the same vehicle for a fair price.
Traveling by car is not advised during rush hour (16:30-18:30) due to traffic jams.
There are several well known foreign car rental companies as well as several domestic companies in Vilnius.
It is advised to book online from an English language website such as Car Rental or Neo Rent.
City-Bee operates a car sharing network where you can rent a car by the hour. There is no contract nor monthly fee, you pay only for the service when you use the car, no parking expenses when you are not using it. There are 13 pick-up points throughout the city, mostly in the centre and some relevant points in northern districts.
In the city centre you often find bike lanes; however, that doesn't mean they are well respected. The only "real" bicycle path leads along the river Neris North to Verkiai Nature park and the "Green lakes".
Five reasonable bicycle routes within city limits and Green Lakes area are presented in bilingual leaflet Bicycle Routes in the City of Vilnius. Development of bicycle path connections and improvement of the existing network is scheduled to complete until 2020. New paths to the most remote districts and recreation areas as well as densification of the network in the centre is scheduled to complete in c. 2027. So far development is fragmentary and carried out in relevant spots "step by step".
- Cyclocity Vilnius is a self-service bike rental system that features 36 stations in central locations operating annually during May-September. Every station has at least 9 bike stands. The stations require a "Cyclocity Vilnius" Card (obtained at Tourist Information Centers), Vilnius Citizen Card (the Vilniečio kortelė - public transport card) or a 3 Day Ticket card. Costs: Seasonal subscription: 69LTL, 30-day subscription: 14LTL, 3-day Ticket: 10LTL. Service: 1st 30 minutes: free, second 30 minutes: 1.5LTL, 3rd 30 minutes: 5LTL, fourth 30 minutes and over: 12LTL.
- Vilnius Bike Tours Aušros Vartų St 7 (at the National Philharmony), ☎ +370 674 12123. Daily, beginning at 11:00, lasts 4-6 hr. Information on cycling in English, some other languages by request. €10-30. (54.673419,25.277329)
- Velo-City Vilnius Aušros Vartų St 7 & Kauno St 5 (Two different locations: one near the Town Hall, another one east of bus station), ☎ +370 674 12123 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Aušros Vartų St 7: daily from 09:00-21:00 / Kauno St 5: weekdays 14:00-18:00 (from April to October). Used bikes sales and rentals and self-repair workshop, including helmets, locks and lights. Bike rental 10LTL/€3; First hour, each following: 5LTL. (54.673419,25.277329)
- Velotakas Gediminas Av 26 (Centre, in the middle of Gediminas Av), ☎ +370 618 45727 (email@example.com). Free delivery of a bicycle to all hotels in Vilnius city, free helmets and locks. No deposit needed. Bike rent in Vilnius city for €8/4 hr... €12/24 hr for 1 person.
Vilnius in winter: "VCUP"
shopping mall by the right hand side, planetarium
dome in the centre.
means "The Other Side Of The River" - this bridge takes you there.
Constitution in English.
Bell Tower and Cathedral in the evening
St. Anne's Church to the left, Church of St. Bernard to the right.
Detail of St. Peter and St. Paul's Church interior.
Town Hall Square in a rainy evening.
Old town (Senamiestis)
It is a city area which began to develop extensively since the Middle Ages and eventually has been surrounded by a defensive wall. The wall determined a firm area and its shape for a long period of time, this area now is called Old Town and has a separate status in Vilnius administrative division. While the urban structure reflects the earliest development from c. 14th century, the architecture of the buildings is mostly from Baroque and Classicism periods with some examples of Renaissance and Gothic, to a lesser extent. One should keep in mind that medieval Vilnius was a wooden city. The huge fires ravaged Vilnius several times since 1513 to 1749. Therefore many buildings of 19th and 20th centuries (still considered new) have Gothic and Renaissance cellars, many of which now are occupied with restaurants, bars or shops.
One particular and one of the nicest areas, a block of artisan guilds, is notorious because of its evil fate: 6 Sep 1941 the two Jewish ghetto, commonly known as Vilnius Ghetto, were established. The ghetto operated until 24 Sept 1943.
In 1994, the Old Town was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Cultural Reserve of Vilnius Castles (Vilniaus pilių rezervatas), HQ: Šiltadaržio St 2, (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-2662 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 212-2499). The heart of Vilnius. Reserve established in 1997 to preserve historical, spiritual and cultural centre of the state. Covers an area of 57.5 ha and comprise both Upper and Lower Castles, Cathedral with surrounding lowland called Šventaragio slėnis (Holy Horn Valley), the western part of Kalnų parkas (Hill Park) along Vilnia river. The latter now features several hills and multiple gullies that prior to erosion was a steep solid and fortified bank of Vilnia river, the first original location of Vilnius.
- Upper Castle aka Gediminas Castle Arsenalo St 5 (Climb up to it from the Cathedral Square or take the funicular on the other side of the hill, facing the river), ☎ +370 5 261-7453 (email@example.com). Warm season 10:00-19:00, cold season 10:00-17:00. Erected on a top of a large hill-fort in the 9th–14th centuries by Dukes of Lithuania. Approximately in the very end of 13th century the Seat due to strategic reasons was transferred from Trakai to Vilnius and the castle was substantially reconstructed. The first castles were wooden, and only in the beginning of 15th century everything was rebuilt in brick and stone. The preserved ruins of Gothic Ducal Palace and surrounding fortifications remain to date. The top of the largest and the only survived tower of the defensive wall offer the best view of Vilnius.
- Tower of Gediminas Castle (Gedimino pilies bokštas). The red-brick tower, a part of the Upper Castle fortifications. Houses an exposition of archaeological findings and other exhibits. National flag was first raised on its top in 1919 when the country regained independence from Russia. Since then the tower is an important state and historic symbol of Vilnius and of Lithuania itself. Adult: 5 LTL; Child: 2 LTL.
- Royal Palace aka Lower Castle (Valdovų rūmai), Katedra Sq 4 (Very centre, next to Cathedral), ☎ +370 5 212-7476, guided tour pre-booking +370 5 262-0007 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 212-7470). Tu-F 11:00-18:00, lunch time 12:00-12:45; last visitors admitted 1 hr before museum closing. Reconstructed early Baroque style Royal Residence has 2 exhibition tour routes related to the historical functions of this palace: the 1st one shows its historical and architectural development, the 2nd route brings you into the ceremonial halls and the special Treasury Hall. Adult 10 LTL, students, seniors 5 LTL, families: 1 adult and 1-3 children 15 LTL, 2 adults and 1-3 children 25 LTL, free: children under 7, foster-home children, disabled persons, members of the International Council of Museums (ICOM), teachers in attendance of a group of more than 10 people. Guided tour in a foreign language 70 LTL (can be booked for a group of not more than 25 persons).
- Vilnius Cathedral (Vilniaus arkikatedra bazilika), Katedra Sq 2 (Very centre), ☎ +370 5 261-1127 (email@example.com). Visiting allowed not during the Mass, daily 07:30-18:30. Operating catholic cathedral. An original wooden cathedral was built here in 1251 on a site of the pagan temple. Later, in 1387, a Gothic style cathedral was built. Now it is a Classical style cathedral built in 1783-1801 to the project of architect Laurynas Gucevičius. He combined various forms of previous centuries chapels into a coherent whole, so that the most beautiful Baroque chapel of Saint Casimir (originally built in 1623–1636) remained untouched. There were 27 crypts of different depth and size under the Cathedral floor. Often overflowed during the spring floods, many times devastated by soldiers looking for treasures during the wars and upheavals, 1968-1989 the crypts were put in order, permanent exposition was arranged. Visiting crypts is permitted only accompanied by a guide.
- Cathedral Square and the Bell Tower, Katedra Sq 1 (Very centre). May-Sept: M-F 10:00–19:00, Oct-Apr: Tu-Sa 10:00–18:00. 57 m high belfry was erected in 16th century on a base of the Gothic tower of the Lower Castle defensive wall. The tower base is round, while the Baroque belfry features octagonal plan. Approximately between the Bell Tower and Cathedral, in the square, look for a particular tile with a word "Stebuklas" (Lithuanian for "miracle") written on it. Stand on it, make a wish and turn around three times. Your wish should come true. This tile also marks the southern end of the Vilnius-Tallinn human chain in the 1989 protest of the Soviet Union. Bell Tower 15 LTL, Cathedral Square free.
- Crooked Castle (Curvum castrum), Hill Park (the hill with a Three Crosses monument). The castle name, usually translated as "Crooked" or "Curved", refers to its irregular plan. A remaining archaeological site locates on a Bleak Hill, also known as Three Crosses Hill. This and few other nearby hills mark the site of the original irregular "Y" shape citadel with perimeter defense fortification. River Vilnia below in the west was an additional natural obstacle. Dwellers lived further east. Deep ravines between the hills reflect the position of the former unpaved streets which was the cause of ensuing massive erosion. The Crooked Castle was besieged in 4-16 Sept 1390, broken in using Welsh Cat technique and burned down by Prussian-Livonian army, with the help of French and English mercenaries. It was a conflict between two Lithuanian monarchs: Grand Duke Vytautas allied with the Teutonic Knights against his cousin Jagiełło, who by that time became the King of Poland.
- Literatų gatvė (Street Of Writers), (Stretches eastwards from Pilies street near the house No 32). 24/7. Small artworks, dedications mounted on the walls. Dedications to the literature workers: writers, translators, everyone who has link with Lithuania and is important for Lithuanian or world literature. Artworks crafted in various outdoor-proof techniques: ceramics, sculpture, glass, wallpainting.
- Presidential Palace (Prezidentūra), Simono Daukanto Sq 3 (Old Town near University), ☎ +370 706 64073 (firstname.lastname@example.org). F 14:30, Sa-Su 09:00-14:30. This large palace dates back to the sixteenth century, when it was used as the Bishop's Palace. In the eighteenth century the building was enlarged and became the Governor-General's residence. It was visited by Tsar Alexander I of Russia, King Louis XVIII of France and Napoleon. Since Lithuania's independence in 1991, the palace has served as the official residence of the President of Lithuania. If the Standard (a dark red flag with the country's coat of arms) is flying over the palace, the President is at home. The Changing of the Guard takes place daily at 18:00. However, if you want to see traditional pageantry, then go to the palace on Sundays at noon and watch the soldiers take part in a flag-raising ceremony, wearing ceremonial uniforms and medieval armoury. Tours of the palace are by appointment only.
- Town Hall (Vilniaus rotušė), Didžioji St 31 (Central part of Old Town), ☎ +370 5 261-8007 (email@example.com). M-F 08:00-18:00. Central building of the Old Town. The first Gothic style Town Hall was built in 1432 in the very same place as it is today. It was reconstructed several times until the city clock tower collapsed and damaged the significant part of the main building. The new Classical style building to the design of architect Laurynas Gucevičius was completed in 1799 and so remains till date. Since 2001 it operates as a public institution, organizes representative and protocol events, various ceremonies, celebrations of public holidays, overall about 300 cultural and educational events are held every year.
- Užupis district, a part of Old Town, a largely unrestored area primarily occupied by artists, dreamers, squatters, and drunks. In 1998, the residents unofficially declared the area to be an independent republic, with its own president, anthem, flag, and constitution. Great to visit on April Fools day, when mock border guards stamp passports and the entire area erupts into a party.
- St. Anne's Church (Šv. Onos bažnyčia), Maironio St 8, LT-01124 Vilnius (Old Town near Užupis), ☎ +370 698 17731. One of the most beautiful churches in Vilnius and in Lithuania. Very small in size, but a very beautiful example of gothic architecture. There is a legend that when during his conquests Napoleon came to Vilnius and saw this church he said he would like to take it on his palm and bring to France.
- Church of St. Francis and St. Bernard Maironio St 10 (Old Town near Užupis, just behind the St. Anne's Church), ☎ +370 616 01159 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 260-9392). M-Th 09:00-17:00, F 09:00-12:00. Construction completed in 1564. Together with St. Ann's Church compiles a one of the most important ensembles of Gothic architecture in the country.
- St. Peter and St. Paul's Church (Šv. apaštalų Petro ir Povilo bažnyčia), Antakalnio St 1/1 (In front of UK embassy and near Danish Embassy), ☎ +370 5 234-0229 (email@example.com). Another shockingly beautiful church, which is considered a Lithuanian Baroque masterpiece. The church is a basilica built on a traditional cross plan with a lantern dome allowing extra light into its white interior. Not so special from the outside, but extremely beautiful inside, with all the interior overcrowded with baroque sculptural works. (54°41′38.60″N,25°18′22.30″E)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church (Vilniaus evangelikų liuteronų bažnyčia), Vokiečių St 20, LT-01130 Vilnius, ☎ +370 5 212-3792 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Operates since 1555. Located in the area of the former medieval German Town, hence the German street, or Vokiečių gatvė in Lithuanian.
- St. Casimir's Church (Šv. Kazimiero bažnyčia), Didžioji St 34, LT-01128 Vilnius (In Old Town central square, near the Town Hall), ☎ +370 5 212-1715 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 212-1876). Another attractive Baroque church in the city centre, and named after Saint Casimir, the only Lithuanian monarch to be canonised and the country's patron saint. On the roof is a crown representing the saint's royal lineage.
- Orthodox Monastery and Church of the Holy Spirit (Vilniaus stačiatikių vienuolynas ir Šv. Dvasios cerkvė), Aušros Vartų St 10, ☎ +370 5 212-7765. Mo-Su 10:00–17:00. Operates since 1567, after the reconstruction (1749-1753, architect January Kristof Glaubic) the church became the only baroque Orthodox sanctuary in Lithuania; the male and female monasteries next to the church are the only working Orthodox monasteries in Lithuania.
- St. Catherine's Church (Šv. Kotrynos bažnyčia), Vilniaus St 30, LT-01119 Vilnius (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-2913. An attractive baroque church in the western side of the Old Town. It is no longer consecrated, but used as a concert hall. The acoustics are excellent.
- Church Heritage Museum (Bažnytinio paveldo muziejus), Šv. Mykolo St 9 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 269-7800 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Tu-Sa 11:00-18:00. Established in 2009 at Saint Michael the Archangel Church. Museum presents and exhibits the oldest sacral valuables. 10 LTL; guided tour in foreign language 60 LTL, audio guide 1 LTL. Discounts apply to full-time students of Lithuanian education institutions, members of International Student Organization (ISIC), residents of children care homes, the handicapped, clergyman. Free of charge for members of International Council of Museums (ICOM), members of International Association of Art Critics, journalists, guides who have the accreditation of Church Heritage Museum, pre-school children, groups of students accompanying teachers, visitors with Vilnius City Card.
- Contemporary Art Centre Vokiečių St 2 (Old Town near Town Hall), ☎ Ticket office +370 5 212-1945 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 262-3954). Tu-Su 12:00-20:00. There are always many extremely interesting modern art exhibitions. 8LTL.
- Customs Museum (Muitinės muziejus), Jeruzalė St 25 (Jeruzalė district), ☎ +370 5 279-6346 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 269-7263). M-Th 08:30−16:00, F 08:30-15:00. Established in 1994. Everything about customs and smuggling since the times of Grand Duchy till now.
- Energetics and Technology Museum (Energetikos ir technikos muziejus), Rinktinės St 2 (Centre, on the bank of Neris river near Mindaugas Bridge), ☎ Excursion booking +370 5 278-2085 (email@example.com). Th-W, F-Sa 10:00-17:00, Th 10:00-19:0. Established in 2003 celebrating 100th anniversary of Vilnius Central Power Plant in the premises of the original building. Cash only. Adult 10 LTL, school kid 5 LTL, tour in a foreign language 60 LTL. (54.69036N,25.28808E)
- Lithuanian Picture Gallery (Lietuvos paveikslų galerija), Didžioji St 4 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-4258 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Tu-Sa 11:00-18:00; Su 12:00-17:00. The Chodkiewicz Palace was built in the 16th century for the wealthy Chodkiewicz family, although the current building was completed in about 1830. Today it houses the Lithuanian Picture Gallery, with pictures by artists from all over Lithuania, dating from the sixteenth to the early twentieth centuries Adult: 6LTL.
- Literary museum of Alexander Pushkin (Puškino muziejus), Subačius St 124 (Markučiai district), ☎ Excursion booking +370 5 260-0415 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 260-0080). W-Su 10:00-17:00. Located in a mansion of Pushkin family: in 1883 Grigory and Varvara Pushkins married in Vilnius and soon settled in Markuchiai estate. Varvara Pushkina died in 1935, leaving the estate in debts. In the testament, she demised everything to a trusteeship of the Vilnius Russian society and charged the Society to establish and run Alexander Pushkin’s museum at the homestead. After the WWII it belonged the Ministry of Culture of the Lithuanian SSR, and since 1990 it is an independent culture institution of Vilnius Municipality. Has a 25 seat room equipped for conferences. 4 LTL.
- Money Museum of Lithuanian Bank (Pinigų muziejus), (Centre), ☎ +370 5 268-0077 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 1 Apr to 31 Oct: Th-F 10:00-19:00, Sa 11:00-18:00; 1 Nov to 31 Mar Th-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-17:00. Established in 1999. Everything about money.
Statue "First Swallows" ("Pirmosios kregždės")
in the National Gallery of Art square, sculptor Juozas Mikėnas
. Originally made of gypsum in 1964, enlarged brass replica erected in 1987. First swallows in Lithuanian culture symbolize the renewal of life.
- National Gallery of Art (Nacionalinė dailės galerija), Konstitucijos Av 22 (Business Centre, between Europa and Forum Palace), ☎ +370 5 212-2997, reception +370 5 219-5960 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 212-2888). Tu-W 11:00-19:00, Th 12:00-20:00, F-Sa 11:00-19:00, Su and before national holidays 11:00-17:00. Contemporary, multifunctional centre of art and culture, permanent and temporary exhibitions. 20-21st century Lithuanian art collections. The 150 seat auditorium equipped for conferences and cultural events. Fitted for disabled people and families with carriages for children. EN Audioguide. Out of curiosity, the building was designed in 1968 in High-tech architecture style (architects Gediminas Baravykas and Vytautas Vielius), built in 1980 and operated as a Museum Of Revolution until 1991; reconstructed in 2005-2009. €2; info desk, book store and café can be visited without entrance fee.
- National Museum of Lithuania Arsenalo St 1, ☎ +370 5 262-9426. Tu-Sa 10:00-17:00, Su 10:00-15:00. Biggest and oldest source of national cultural heritage in the country, which systematically collects, stores, displays, and popularizes the history of the state. Adult: 5LTL; Child: 2 LTL.
- Holocaust exhibition (Green House), Pamėnkalnio St 12 (Centre), (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Th 09:00-17:00, F 09:16:00, Su 10:0-16:00. Tours in foreign language available. Adult 7 LTL, child 4 LTL.
- Memorial Museum of Paneriai (Panerių memorialinis muziejus), Agrastų St 17, Paneriai suburb (Westernmost end of Agrastų St - the street that stretches from the train stop along the raiway), ☎ Excursion booking +370 662 89575 (email@example.com). Th-Su 09:00-17:00.
- Tolerance Centre (Tolerancijos centras), Naugarduko St 10/2, ☎ +370 5 231-2358 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 231-2358). M-Th 10:00-18:00, F, Su 10:00-16:00. Exhibition topics: Rescued Lithuanian Jewish Child Tells about Shoah, Signs of Ruined Litvaks World, The Lost World, Jewish Life in Lithuania.
- War Machinery and Transport Museum (Karo technikos ir transporto muziejus), Olandų St 21A (From Olandų roundabout walk away from the bridge for ~400 m up to the fenced up territory by the right hand side), ☎ Tour booking +370 5 261-9606 (fax: +370 5 269-7697). Tu-Sa 10:00-17:00, ticket office until 16:30. A modest museum set in the territory used for military purposes since the end of 18th century: at first it was a depot for gunpowder and weapons, then under Russian Empire the premises were handed over to the Vilnius Fortress, during the interwar until 1939 it belonged to the Depot Service of Poland, after WWII the Soviet Army administered the area until the country regained independence, then it belonged to the National Defense Volunteer Force's 8th Territorial Unit. Museum was opened 4 Nov 2008. About 150 exhibits of military equipment are displayed in the yard: heavy 170 mm and 250 mm mortars “Ehrhardt” (1919 trophy), a spectrum of Warsaw Pact wheeled and crawler military transport, such like armored vehicles, Dodge cars, small all-terrains, petrol-carriers, tanks T-55 and T-72 (the latter tanks were used to storm Vilnius TV Tower on 13 Jan 1991), armored Mercedes-Benz of the first Chief of Defence of the restored state, Soviet subcompact car “Запорожец” bought for the Lithuanian Government in early nineties. €1.5, tour €12; one photo-video permission in all expositions and displays €10.
Monuments & statues
Statue of Saint Christopher in Gediminas Av.
- Angel of Užupis Statue, Užupio St & Malūnų St (Užupis district). Statue of an angel blowing a trumpet and standing on an egg.
- Boy With A Big Shoe In His Hands (Mažas berniukas su dideliu batu rankose), intersection of J. Basanavičius and Mindaugas streets (New Town). Statue of a 9-year-old boy holding a shoe - it depicts a young French novelist Romain Gary who was born and raised in Vilnius, in that particular area. Erected in 2005, sculptor Romualdas Kvintas.
- Doctor Aybolit (Lithuanian: Daktaras Aiskauda; English: Doctor Ow-It-Hurts), intersection of Mėsinių and Dysnos streets by the Ghetto Victims Sq (Old Town). Monument to the doctor Zemach Shabad who was a prototype of Doctor Aybolit, a character from a very popular poem for children by Russian poet Korney Chukovsky. Aybolit was a very loose adaptation of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting, which is always credited in the prose adaptation of the poem. Korney Chukovsky in his memoirs tells that he met with a doctor in Vilnius on 1912; the monument depicts a particular episode from this story. Erected in 2007.
- Frank Zappa Statue Kalinausko St 1 (west of Old Town). The first statue in the world for honoring this great musician. Erected in 1995 by the local Frank Zappa fan club. A replica of the statue in Vilnius was presented to Baltimore city in May 2008; two years later it has been unveiled next to the Southeast Anchor Library at the corner of Conkling Street and Eastern Avenue in Highlandtown, Baltimore. Free.
- Road Of Freedom (Laisvės kelias), by the Geležinis Vilkas viaduct, Konstitucijos Av (Šnipiškės district). An abstract conspicuous sculpture commemorating the 20th anniversary of the restoration of the State of Lithuania. Visual expression symbolizes the chain of people who joined hands and connected the 3 Baltic States in 1989, it is painted with the national flag colours. The sculpture is a collective creation – everyone could contribute and get a special brick which was put in the sculpture. The name of the person who has contributed was stamped on each brick. Constructed in 2010, sculptor Tadas Gutauskas.
- Three Crosses (Trys kryžiai), (Behind the Gediminas Castle, on the edge of a Hill Park). A monument to seven Franciscan monks that were tortured here by pagans before the conversion of Lithuania to Christianity. Also symbolizes the importance of Christianity to Lithuania. Originally erected on a Bleak Hill (Plikasis kalnas) in 1916 to the design of architect Antoni Wiwulski. Blown up by Soviets on 30 May 1950, recreated on 14 Jun 1989. Remains of the original monument are left at the spot on purpose.
Parks & cemeteries
- There is an interesting Jewish cemetery in Šeškinė including the grave of the Vilna Gaon, a very important rabbi. By the entrance to Vingis park is a war cemetery with Russian, German, Hungarian, Polish and Turkish soldiers from both wars. Oldest cemeteries are Rasų and Bernardinų. Also Saulės kapinės (Cemetery of the Sun) in Antakalnis district.
- Europos parkas (Park of Europe), Joneikiškės village, Vilnius district (North of Vilnius), ☎ +370 5 237-7077 (email@example.com, fax: 370 5 237-7077). 10:00-sunset. Open air museum of modern and contemporary art surrounded with woods. The sculptures, which are the works of sculptors from more than 70 countries worldwide, are exhibited in the area of 55 ha. Admission: adult 25LTL, school kid 11LTL, guided tour in English 100LTL. (54.888352,25.384684)
- Verkiai Regional Park, Žaliųjų ežerų St 53. One of the biggest parks in Lithuania, located almost entirely in Verkiai elderate in the north of the city. One can reach the park by bus #35 or #36. It is known for Verkiai Calvaries, which have been constructed exactly following the plan of Jerusalem, with the distances, water bodies and elevations being very close to the original Way of the Cross. Way of the Cross consists of 22 chapels, 7 wooden and brick gates, and two baroque church ensembles. It is advisable to visit this park for those who likes great panoramic views.
Throughout the year, there are a variety of cultural, music, cinema, theatre, art, and fashion festivals taking place.
Traditional Vilnius festivals
- Speigas (Frost), takes place in severe conditions of the premises of selected club, traditionally it is “Kablys” (see “Clubs” section below). Annual festival of post-industrial and avant-garde electronic music. Tend to extend also to Kaunas.
- Kaziukas Fair (Kaziuko mugė) — a Saint Casimir's Day, the largest annual folk arts and crafts fair held in the streets of Vilnius’ centre and Old Town on the Friday-Sunday nearest to March 4.
- Cinema Springtime (Kino pavasaris), ☎ +370 5 249-7221 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Annually from the middle of March to beginning of April. International Film Festival (Vilnius IFF) “Kino pavasaris” is the largest cinematic event in the country, known and loved for its high quality independent film programme and rich accompanying package of cinema-related events, workshops, and special initiatives.
- Mados infekcija (Fashion Infection), HQ: Raugyklos St 15-312. Event usually takes place in Contemporary Art Centre - see section “Museums” above, ☎ +370 5 262-9683 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 262-9683). Annually, in the spring, approximately the second half of March. A prominent conceptual fashion festival where professional and upcoming designers are brought together. Involves catwalk shows, exhibitions, seminars, show-rooms and some free events. Intends to help people to develop their individual style and attitude towards fashion. Every autumn presents an additional event Mados injekcija (Fashion Injection) - an upcoming talent program. No pets, punctuality. €15-40, tickets to be purchased separately for every event.
- Europe Day (Europos dienos). Annually 9 May and the nearest weekend to this day. Celebration dedicated to united Europe; a traditional Restaurant Fair "Taste Of Europe" ("Europos skonis") takes place on the main street Gediminas Avenue (Gedimino prospektas) stretching from Cathedral Sq towards Parliament for about 1km.
- Vilnius Festival (Vilniaus festivalis), HQ: Aušros Vartų St 5 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 266-5210 (vffilharmonija.lt, fax: +370 5 266-5266). Annually from the end of May to the beginning of July. International festival of classical music, one of the most prestigious, solid and versatile events in Lithuania.
- The Christopher Summer Festival (Kristupo vasaros festivalis), HQ: Stiklių St 8 (Old Town), ☎ +370 656 52665 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 210-7166). Runs for 2 months, July and August. The largest summer music festival in Lithuania, various concert events take place in different spaces in Vilnius, also stretches to some other districts of the country.
- Bartholomew Fair (Baltramiejaus mugė), Town Hall Sq, Didžioji St and Pilies St (Old Town). End of August: weekend closest to 24 Aug. 11:00-21:00. Annual craft fair legally recognized as Lithuanian national heritage. Focus on the reconstruction of the late medieval and Renaissance crafts, arts and traditions of guilds. The initiator and main organizer of this event is the Craft Guild (Amatų gildija), it also has a Ceramics Open Studio at S. Skapo St 3-34 which is open for public on a first Wednesday of every month and offer excursions, classes and workshops. Visiting fair is free of charge.
- Vilnius City Fiesta (Sostinės dienos), takes place in all the largest open-air spaces of Vilnius: Town Hall Sq, Cathedral Sq, Vingis Park, Gediminas Av, ☎ +370 5 212-7364 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 212-7364). Annually the first weekend of September. A wide range of attractive entertainments of all kinds: from pop, rock, electronic, jazz and world music to classical music and opera, film programmes, street theatre, fashion shows, carnivals and traditional craft and food fairs on the streets.
- Vilniaus fejerija (International firework festival Vilnius Extravaganza), M. K. Čiurlionis St 100 (Park Vingis), ☎ Mobile +370 699 94682 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Second half of September, 19:00-23:00. No pets allowed. Performances of pyrotechnic professionals. €10-30.
- Vilnius Documentary Film Festival (VDFF), “Skalvija” Cinema Centre, A. Goštautas St 2/15 (Centre, between Opera House and the River Neris), ☎ +370 5 261-0505 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 268-5832). Lasts for several days in the second half of September. Largest international documentary film festival in the Baltic States, focusing on intellectual audience. €4.
- Sirenos (Sirens - Vilnius International Theatre Festival), ☎ +370 614 97424 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Annually from the end of September to the beginning of October. Focusing on audience which is ready for artistic challenges, young in spirit and open to new theatrical ideas. Try to present a new generation of European directors, who reached their artistic maturity after the fall of the Berlin wall and thus have become a bridge between two different worlds.
- Vilnius Jazz (email@example.com). Annually the long weekend in the middle of October. Founded in 1987, it remains an exceptional event in Lithuania, providing a broad perspective on contemporary trends in jazz from all over the world. Has earned a reputation of a radical avant-garde festival oriented towards novelty and limit-stretching creativity.
- Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Games. The city's main team is named after one of its sponsors, Lietuvos Rytas Newspaper. It uses Siemens Arena for its home games in European competition, as well as high-demand domestic games, most notably the national derby against Žalgiris of Kaunas. Other games are held at the adjacent Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Arena.
- Lithuanian Opera and Ballet Theatre (Nacionalinis operos ir baleto teatras), A. Vienuolio St 1 (Between the Green Bridge (Žaliasis tiltas) and Gediminas av.), ☎ +370 5 262-0727. Beautiful ornate building. Three or four weekly performances. From 10 LTL to 120 LTL.
- Oskaras Koršunovas Theatre (OKT) Ašmenos St 8, ☎ +370 5 212-2099 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 261-1877). Information via phone is provided on workdays 10:00-18:00, performances usually begin at 19:00 – exact time on the ticketing website. One of the most original modern theatres in Europe. Price vary around 100 LTL.
- Super Segway Vilniaus St 45, ☎ +370 5 262-0215. Take a cheap, guided, segway tour around the main attractions of the city. Note that the price is low because of insurance related issues. 60 LTL per hour.
- Go Karts Plytinės St 27 (Next to the students camp at Saulėtekis district, NE edge of the city), ☎ +370 699 56704 (email@example.com). 30-40 LTL per 10 minutes. There are two tracks: open track at Saulėtekis district near the students camp, and the inside track with battery powered karts in Panorama Mall west of city business centre.
- Hot air balloon tour Upės St 5 (Centre by Neris river), ☎ Mobile +370 652 00510 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: + 370 5 273 27 02). One of the favourite tourists' activities in Vilnius, interesting way of sightseeing. Regular flight 300-400 LTL per person, night flight 600 LTL per person, romantic flight 1200 LTL per person, flight in 7 km hight (only for groups) 3000 LTL per person.
- Recreational shooting (GSKA), Mindaugo St 42 (Not far from bus station, entrance from Punskas St), ☎ Mobile +370 677 66381 (email@example.com). By prior arrangement. Rent of a weapon for 1 person/hr 12 LTL, place/instructor 30 LTL, 1 round 3.5 LTL.
Vilnius University State Room (Aula
Vilnius University Library in campus of Saulėtekis
district. Built in 2013 to the design of architect Rolandas Palekas.
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus universitetas), Universiteto St 3 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 268-7001 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 268-7009). Founded in 1579 by Grand Duke of Lithuania Stephen Báthory, it is one of the oldest Universities in Eastern Europe.
- Academy of Music and Theatre (Muzikos ir teatro akademija), Gedimino av 42 (Centre, closer to Parliament), ☎ +370 5 261-2691 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 212-6982). Provides educational strands at tertiary level in Music, Theatre, Audiovisual Art, and Art Studies.
- ISM University of Management and Economics (ISM Vadybos ir ekonomikos universitetas), Arklių St 18 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-3960 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 212-3961). Courses lectured in English: International Project Management (6 ECTS) and International Business and Economics (6 ECTS).
- Vilnius Cooperative College (Vilniaus kooperacijos kolegija), Konstitucijos av. 11, ☎ +370 5 275-0103 (email@example.com). Has probably the best location of all the educational institutes in Vilnius as it is located right in the business center on the northern bank of the river Neris. The college has also very cheap accommodation building 20 m from the college (including guests rooms for visitors) and a good canteen (lunch for less than 10 LTL / €3. Open for the public also. Discount for students).
The average wage is around €670 a month. Lithuania's unemployment rate is one of the highest in the European Union.
ATMs are very common in Vilnius and most shops accept major credit cards.
Vilnius is famous for its amber, wool socks and hats and flaxware.
Upscale retailers present in Vilnius include Hugo Boss, Armani, Escada, Dolce & Gabbana, John Richmond, ZARA, United Colors of Benetton, and Mango. There are also some young local designer butiques in Stiklių street. Pilies street is where you can find tourist souvenirs.
Large supermarkets include: Maxima, Rimi, Iki and Norfa.
- Akropolis Ozo St 25 (Šeškinė district). 08:00-23:00. The name is a playful hint of a Greek citadel on a hill (in this case it tops a Šeškinė Hill) with an ironic reference to Acropolis of Athens as an extremely popular attraction.
- Banginis P. Lukšio St 34 (Žirmūnai district, Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis) subdistrict). 08:00-20:30, different shops have different working hours. The shopping mall name means "Whale". Has the one of the largest stores of the construction, exterior and interior decoration materials, tourism equipment and electronics Senukai. There are several other stores that can't be found in the centre, restaurant-tavern of Lithuanian cuisine "Katpėdėlė", Wine Room "Vynoteka" (has several Vynotekas in Vilnius and other cities) and a grocery store "Iki".
- Europa Konstitucijos av. 7A (City business centre on a northern bank of Neris river), ☎ +370 616 95680 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 07:00-24:00, some stores have different working hours. The name refers to the opening date of 2004 when Lithuania joined EU, the square and all surrounding complex of buildings including the business centre tower was named after Europe to commemorate this event.
- Ozas Ozo St 18 (Near Siemens Arena). 10:00-22:00. The name means "Esker": the mall is built on Šeškinė Esker which stretches across the city from the east to the west along Ozas Street.
- Panorama Saltoniškių St 9 (Saltoniškės district). 08:00-23:00. The name refers to the view one can see from a third floor restaurant.
- VCUP (Vilniaus centrinė universalinė parduotuvė), Konstitucijos av 16 (City business centre, by Neris river near the White Bridge), ☎ Information desk +370 5 273-1515. Stores 10:00-22:00, restaurants 10:00-24:00. Second oldest of the such kind of shopping centres in Vilnius, operates since 1974.
In addition to the restaurants listed below, almost all of the bars in Vilnius serve reasonably priced good quality food.
- Ararat Kauno St 3a (Close to the bus station, 1 stop by trolleybus No 16), ☎ +370 5 233-4569 (email@example.com). Su-Th 10:00-22:00, F-Sa 10:00-23:00. Armenian restaurant, Armenian food. Café. Offer food to the house service. Banquets, buffet for up to 500 people. Soup 8-15 LTL, salad 10-15 LTL, shashlyk 15-25 LTL, second course (plov, tapaka, etc) 10-30 LTL, snacks, dessert 6-11 LTL. Day lunch around 15 LTL.
- Bistrolita, Lukiškių St 5 / Mečetės St 4 (City centre, on the corner of two tiny streets, with the view to Lukishkes Prison, surrounded by engineering and scientific institutes), ☎ +350 5 212-6157 (firstname.lastname@example.org). An eatery, the cheapest and unpretentious place to eat for locals working in vicinity.
- Борщ (Borscht – the name is officially written in Cyrillic everywhere), Algirdo St 5 (New Town), ☎ +370 5 260-3344, mobile +370 618 05003 (email@example.com). M-F 10:00-23:00, Sa-Su 11:00-23:00. Ukrainian restaurant, genuine Ukrainian cuisine. Everything is simplier than expected. Borscht and dumplings are very/extremely good. The interior is eclectic, not designed specifically to reflect the Ukrainian spirit. Day lunch, business lunch (11:00-15:00) ~15 LTL. Average price 16-20 LTL.
- Briusly Islandijos St 4 (Old Town, south and not far from McDonald's at Gedimino av), ☎ Mobile +370 691 41205 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-W 11:00-02:00, Th 11:00-04:00, F, Sa 11:00-06:00, Su 12:00-24:00. DJ Bar every Sa since 21:00; brunch every Su 12:00-15:00. Serves Asian, mostly Thai cuisine. As one can surmise, the place is named after Bruce Lee. Considered to be one of the most fashionable places of artistic youth. Middle-priced, but portions are generous. In the night turns to the club with lots of original cocktails. Free entrance; salads 25-30 LTL, appetizers 15-20 LTL, soups 20-30 LTL, entrees 20-31 LTL, desserts 10-15 LTL.
One of the many Čili Pica
- Čili Chain of theme restaurants offering Lithuanian food, both contemporary and traditional, as well as some italian and asian food modified to meet Lithuanian taste.
- Čili Pica has 18 restaurants in Vilnius, among them in the centre: Didžioji St 5, Gedimino av. 5, Gedimino av. 23, (email@example.com). Chain of restaurants offering pizza, pasta, salads, Lithuanian dumplings and pancakes. Offer food to the house service via the separate website. If you are after Italian or American pizza - this is a place to avoid because it serves only Lithuanian pizzas, as one can judge by the name of the restaurant (pronounce "chili pizza"). Medium pizza (30 cm) 20-30 LTL.
- Forest has 3 restaurants: Savanorių av. 1 (within “Helios City”), Žirmūnai St. 1 (within “Iki”) and at Vokiečių St. 8 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 698 16728 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Open daily approximately 11:00-22:00. Chain of steak and salad restaurants, menu varies according to the seasons (which are heavily pronounced in Lithuania), dishes are prepared from the carefully selected products that come from trusted farmers. Restaurant concept is reflected by three-fold nutritional formula: fresh, seasonal, grown by local farmers.
- Soya has 5 restaurants: Ozo St 25 (within “Akropolis” mall), Ukmergės St 369 (within “BIG” mall, north-west of town), Vienuolio St 4 (Centre), Vokiečių St 8 (Old Town), Žirmūnai St 68A (Northern part of Žirmūnai district). Open daily approximately 11:00-23:00. Chain of asian fusion restaurants.
- Jammi (pronounce: Yummy), Five places, mostly in residential districts, the one closest to the centre is in front of Žalgirio Maxima - at Kalvarijų St 88 within Sostinė Market territory, entrance from Žalgirio street, ☎ Kalvarijų: +370 655 42115. Chain of kebab shops that offers very good value. Menu of "Kebabai" at Kalvarijų St, works 24 hr every day.
- Kas Kas Islandijos St 4 (Old Town, south and not far from McDonald's at Gedimino av), ☎ Mobile +370 630 17121 (email@example.com). M-W 11:00-24:00, Th 11:00-02:00; F, Sa 11:00-05:00, Su 12:00-24:00. Lunch, dinner, drinks, takeaway. Has a TV screen for major sport events (especially basketball) and such. Has a cocktail bar. In the night turns to the club. Business lunch (full course) ~40 LTL. Free entrance.
- Kinų rožė (Chinese Rose), has 4 places in Vilnius: Gediminas Av 64, Jasinskio St 6, Savanorių Av 1, Kauno St 15 (Former two in the centre, latter two in the New Town district), ☎ +370 615 27155 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 11:00-23:00. A chain of Chinese restaurants. €5-20.
- Laukiniai vakarai (Wild West), Antakalnio St 66, Vilnius (Antakalnis district across the street to Rimi supermarket), ☎ +350 5 234-4220, booking +350 5 234-3980 (email@example.com, fax: +350 5 234-4220). Tu-W 12:00-22:00, Sa-Su 12:00-23:00. European food, 2 halls: 45 seats with a large screen for watching sports events, and 25 seats children hall. Outdoor terrace in summer. 15 car parking spaces. Also offer premises for the funeral dinner and other serious events.
- Leleko Gynėjų St 2 / Gediminas av.49A (Centre, near the Parliament), ☎ Mobile +370 633 30437. M-F 11:00-22:00, Sa-Su 12:00-22:00. Ukrainian restaurant, Ukrainian cuisine. Relatively simple, but decent restaurant. Ukrainian meals are good. Has a decent and very popular outdoor terrace (only in summer). Several metres to the city prison or similar distance to the Parliament, out of curiosity.
- Maxima The largest Lithuanian supermarket chain. Sells prepared food.
- RadhaRane Gedimino av 32 and Ozo St 18 (has 2 places: in the city centre and within Ozas mall), ☎ Mobile +370 650 68304 (UABPrasadas@gmail.com). M-F 10:00-21:00, Sa-Su 11:00-21:00, at Ozas: 10:00-22:00. Especially for vegetarians. Menu has Indian-style entrees, fragrant rice and bread. Also for a smaller bite, they have baked samosas. 10-13 LTL.
- Raw Raw Totorių St 3 (Old town, very close to Gedimino av near the Central Post Office), ☎ +370 5 231-3242, mobile +370 699 52022 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Sa 11:00-22:00, Su 11:00-18:00. Raw food, no traditional Lithuanian dishes. Mostly thermally unprocessed food and a couple of warm dishes. Freshly squeezed juice, smoothies, lemonade. Hot drinks: tea, coffee, flavored acorn coffee. Main course ~20 LTL: ravioli with sauce 18 LTL, vegetable crepes 21 LTL.
- Wok to Walk Vilniaus St 19, ☎ +370 655 91919. A famous Wok to Walk franchise in Vilnius. More like 20 LTL for rice, sauce, vegetable/ meat selection and drink. Prices: 10-16 LTL.
- Yucatan Pylimo St 2/Islandijos St 6 (On the corner of Pylimo and Islandijos streets, in the cellar), ☎ +370 676 39234. M-Th 16:00-23:45, F-Sa 16:00-07:00. Mexican restaurant, calm and convenient location. Tacos, mezcal, cerveza, baile.
- Amatininkų užeiga (Artisans Tavern), Didžioji St 19/2 (Town Hall square (Rotušės aikštė)), ☎ +370 5 261-7968, mobile +370 687 22366 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 279-1010). Su-Th 10:00-17:00, F-Sa 10:00-19:00. Lithuanian and international food. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town.
- Balti Drambliai (White Elephants), Vilniaus St 41 (Old Town). Cozy vegetarian-vegan cafe, world/reggae music, live concerts in the evenings.
- Basilico Pylimo St 21 (On the edge of the Old Town and the New Town, near the intersection of Basanavičius and Trakai streets), ☎ Reservation +370 650 51680 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Italian restaurant with wood-fired oven and great pizzas for incredibly good prices. Has a play area for children, also offers children's birthday celebration program "Excursion To The Kitchen".
- Cozy Šv. Ignoto St 16 (Old Town), ☎ Reservation +370 5 261-1137 (email@example.com). M-W 09:00-02:00, Th-F 09:00-04:00, Sa 10:00-04:00, Su 10:00-02:00. Cafe-restaurant, established in 2004. Downstairs there is a Nińo Tapas Bar, listed below at the "Bars" section.
- Fortas, restoranų grupė (Fort, a chain of restaurants), (Several restaurants in different locations), ☎ +370 5 210-2450 (firstname.lastname@example.org). First restaurant opened in 1996 on Algirdas street 17 (still operates), since 2003 began to focus on traditional Lithuanian food and culinary heritage. Now owns three thematic chains.
- Fortas (Fort), 4 places: Algirdas St 17, Ulonai St 2, Konstitucijos av. 7a, Saltoniškių St 9 (Respectively: New Town district, Žirmūnai district, Europa mall, Panorama mall). Pub-style restaurant, Western and Eastern European food. Main courses: 16-30 LTL.
- Forto Dvaras (Fort Hall), 4 places: Pilies St 16, J. Kubilius St 16, Prieglius St 1, Ukmergės St 369 (Respectively: Old Town district, behind Rimi mall in Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis) district, Pupa mall in Pilaitė district, Big mall in Fabijoniškės district). Traditional Lithuanian cuisine, meals by ethnographic regions of Lithuania; organize Lithuanian meal tasting sessions. Offers discount coupons on 'News' section of their website.
- Terazza restoranas (Terazza Restaurant), Konstitucijos av. 26, (Forum Palace), ☎ Reservation +370 687 90719 (email@example.com). Popular for private parties and celebrations, has special proposals for large groups of tourists. Bilingual menu for meals and menu for drinks on their Lithuanian website.
- Kitchen Didžioji St 11 (Old Town, entrance from the courtyard, 2nd floor). 11:30-24:00. Cozy lithuanian place to have a diner with friends, not focused on tourists though foreigners are welcome too.
- Kuku muku (pronounce: KOO-koo MOO-koo), Vokiečių St 6 (Old Town), ☎ Reservation +370 5 261-0620 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Th 11:00- 21:00, F 11:00-22:00, Sa 10:00-22:00, Su 10:00-21:00. Family style restaurant for parents with kids. Has a special menu for allergic children. Takeaways, outdoor seating. €2-18.
- La Provence Vokiečių St 22 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 262-0257 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 231-2360). 12:00-24:00. Operates since 2001. Mediterranean food. House specials include roebuck with cherry sauce. Starters: 30 LTL; Main courses: 60 LTL; Extensive wine list: From 80 LTL..
- Les Amis Savičiaus St 7 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-3738 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 233-7857). 11:00-23:00. Family-run French restaurant with fresh food. Day lunch, takeaways. Suitable for parties, banquets. Capacity up to 40 people. €3-10.
- Mano Guru (My Guru), Vilniaus St 22 / Labdarių St 1 (South of Novotel Hotel, near DNB Bank, entrance from Vilniaus St.), ☎ +370 5 212-0126 (email@example.com). A salad bar. All of the staff are former drug addicts. Fresh food. No alcohol. Food is mostly vegetarian. Light breakfast 5-15 LTL, salads 10-15 LTL, salads with meat 10-25 LTL, soups 10-15 LTL, special menu for children 6-10 LTL.
Detail of Marceliukės klėtis
- Marceliukės klėtis (Barn of Little Marcel), Tuskulėnų St 35 (Žirmūnai residential district), ☎ +370 5 272-5087 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 272-5023). Hearty portions of traditional Lithuanian food. Salads 9-11 LTL, soups 4-6 LTL, main courses 17-95 LTL.
- Medžiotojų restoranas (Hunter’s Restaurant), Jeruzalės St 16 (Jeruzalė district, in front of Iki grocery store across the street, on the second floor above a small grocery store Gastronomas Rūpestėlis), ☎ +370 5 269-7088, mobile +370 686 00009 (email@example.com). Business lunch 11:00-15:00. Operates since 1971. Game dishes, broth, beer, strong drinks. Venison ~40 LTL.
- Vapiano Konstitucijos av. 7A (Europa Shopping Centre), ☎ Reservation +370 5 238-3489 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Sa 11:00-23:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Italian style, fast casual restaurant, 240 seats total. Tasty salads, a la carte pastas and pizzas are made in front of the guest. Pizzas 15-23 LTL.
Verkių vandens malūnas
– restaurant at the top-left, waterfall of Verkė
stream behind the bridge.
- Verkių vandens malūnas (Water-mill Of Verkiai Manor Estate), Verkių St 100 (Verkiai district, at the foot of the slope by the street along Neris River), ☎ Rezervation +370 5 271-1666 (email@example.com). 12:00-22:00. Water-mill operated until 1975. Burned down in 1984. After the reconstruction in 1999 opened as a restaurant. European cuisine. Features the interwar Lithuanian cuisine. Business lunch 17 LTL; main course 25-80 LTL.
- Vinchenso Mimoza Islandijos St 1 / Vilniaus St 31, ☎ +370 652 93587 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Workdays 11:00-24:00, weekends 15:00-24:00; combo lunch 11:00-16:00. Contemporary asian cuisine, some modified lithuanian meals, wine.
- Žemaičiai (The Samogitians), Vokiečių St 24 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 686 04708 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 231-2360). M-Su 12:00-24:00. Lithuanian beer and traditional food from western Lithuania. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. 18-150 LTL.
- Zoe's Bar & Grill Odminių St 3 (Centre close to Cathedral square), ☎ +370 5 212-3331 (fax: +370 5 212-3337). Great Thai food, salads, soups, and cocktails. Spicy Zoe's African beef and pepper soup 12 LTL, sofisticated Filet-Mignon 49 LTL, on the whole about 90 LTL.
- Aula Pilies St 11 (Old Town, premises of Vilnius University complex), ☎ +370 5 268-7173 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Beer restaurant, the name means "University State Room". Offers traditional food of old preserved Lithuanian cuisine. Summer terrace. Live Jazz/blues music. 60 LTL.
- Balzac Savičiaus St 7 (Old Town). M-Th 11:30-23:00, F-Sa 12:00-23:00, Su 12:00-21:00. Traditional French cuisine, magnificently executed, great atmosphere. 50 LTL.
- Belmontas (Belmontas Entertainment and Recreation Centre), Belmonto St 17 (Belmontas district by the river Vilnia). Folk-themed eateries near an old French mill and beautiful waterfall. Beautiful setting popular for weddings. A 10 min drive by car or taxi from the centre of Vilnius. 90 LTL.
- Bistro 18 Stiklių St 18 (Old Town, artisan guilds block). Small restaurant and wine bar with good selection of cuisine. Main courses: 26-42.
- Čagino (Chagin's), Basanavičius St 11 (New Town). Named after the famous Russian architect Nikolay Chagin who lived in the house that was there prior to recent building was constructed. Vegetable, groats and farinaceous dishes, dumplings and pelmeni, desserts, Russian drinks. Live Russian music played on a guitar. Main courses: 26-41 LTL.
- Da Antonio Vilnius St 23 (Centre), ☎ Rezervation +370 5 262-0109 (email@example.com). 80 LTL. Excellent Italian food, more upscale than Čili Pica.
- El Gaucho Sano Pilies St 10 (In Hotel Atrium), ☎ +370 5 210-7777 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 210-7770). Argentinian-style food (lots of meat) in a a spacious restaurant. Good service. 115 LTL.
- Ida Basar Subačiaus St 3 (Old Town near the Philharmonic within premises of Tyzenhaus Palace), ☎ +370 5 262-8484 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 262-7834). M-Sa 12:0-22:00, Su 12:00-21:00. Specializes in 14-18 century noble cuisine of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Has eight halls and a culinary heritage museum with about 6,000 exhibits. 100 LTL; day lunch 16 LTL.
- La Pergola Ligoninė St 7 (Old Town, close to Pylimo street), ☎ +370 5 266-0322 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 266-0323). M-Th, Sa 17:00-23:00. Downloadable wine menu. Online rezervation. Favorite place for luxury wedding celebrations, official institution banquets, business meetings and other events. Cold and hot snacks, soups €6-10, main courses €17-25.
- Lokys (Bear), Stiklių St 8 (Old Town, artisan guilds block, in the courtyard). Medieval restaurant, famous for its Gothic cellars. Specializes in medieval and hunters meals, offers some vegetarian food. Beer, wines, cocktails. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. Reservation form on their web site. Pre-ordered for groups (10 or more people) 42-110 LTL. Salads and snacks 20-40 LTL, hunting takes 55-70 LTL, vegetarian ~25 LTL, meat courses 30-60 LTL.
Entrance to Medininkai
courtyard, 16th century sgraffito can be seen on the left.
- Markus ir Ko M. Antokolskio St 11 (Old Town, artisan guilds block, street with arch), ☎ +370 5 262-3185. Great steaks and live music. 100 LTL.
- Medininkai Aušros Vartų St 8 (Old Town, close to the Gates of Dawn), ☎ +370 600 86491 (email@example.com). M-Su 12:00-23:00, breakfast 07:00-10:00. Lithuanian fusion cuisine. Restaurant operates since 1974, when restoration of the building unveiled the 16th century sgraffito on the facade (scarce technique in Lithuania) which immediately became one of the most famous landmarks of the Old Town. Has a summer courtyard and a Wine Cellar in the authentic vaulted Gothic cellar. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. Snacks 8-30 LTL, main course 30-60 LTL, desserts 9-16 LTL.
- Narutis Cellar Restaurant (Naručio rūsio restoranas), Pilies St 24 (Old Town, within Narutis hotel; apart this restaurant the hotel has other two), ☎ +370 5 261-7722 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Business lunch on workdays 11:30-14:00. Eastern European food. Combi lunch 14 LTL, other 100 LTL.
- Stikliai Gaono St 7 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 264-9580 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 212-3870). Tu-Su, breakfast 07:00-10:30, lunch 12:00-15:00, dinner 18:00-24:00. Lithuanian and French cuisine. The restaurant is set in the hotel's interior courtyard. It was opened long before the hotel was established and is one of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town.
- Verkių restoranas (Verkiai Restaurant), Žaliųjų ežerų St 49 (Verkiai manor estate, entrance through the main gates, behind the tennis courts, the main building, entrance to the restaurant from the eastern side), ☎ +370 5 210-2333, mobile +370 686 30808 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Feasts, banquets a la carte, fourschettes, seminars and conferences. Can serve up to 1000 persons.
- Vokiečių restoranas (German Restaurant), Aušros Vartų St 11 (Near the Gates of Dawn), ☎ Reservation +370 5 212 -8312 (email@example.com). M-Th 11:00-23:00, F 11:00-02:00, Sa 12:00-24:00, Su 12:00-20:00. German style restaurant, authentic German dishes (among others - high quality beef steak, lamb, game, fresh seafood), German beer and wine. Snacks 11-30 LTL, soup 15-20 LTL , German hot dishes 30-40 LTL, German steak 35-100 LTL, German dessert 13-16 LTL.
The most popular local beer is Švyturys, meaning lighthouse. Available in lots of different styles but "Ekstra" is probably the best. The other brands of beer include Kalnapilis, Tauras, and Utenos. All of them are variations on the theme of bog-standard euro-lager. If you're a beer enthusiast forget Svyturys and other big brands - try Alaus namai (The House of Beer) and Bambalynė (see section Bars).
Lithuanian vodka (Lithuanian degtinė) is of excellent quality. The brand 'Lithuanian Vodka' is quite popular. The gold is the premium version. Cranberry is also nice.
Drink carefully as most bars will politely ask you to leave if they notice that you appear drunk (staggering, yelling, grabbing strangers). Falling asleep in bars is not tolerated. If you break a glass, many places will expect to be repaid for it on the spot but it's usually a very reasonable price.
Smoking is banned in all public places. However, a number of nightclubs have internal smoke rooms; the ventilation can be of variable quality. If you leave a club to smoke outside, make sure you get stamped and get eye contact from the bouncers so you won't have problems getting back in. It can be a good idea to show the bouncer your cigarette or cigarette packet, before exiting the premises.
- BIX Etmonų St 6 (Old Town), ☎ Rezervation +370 5 262-7791 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Operates since 1995. Tarantino-style bar founded by the Lithuanian rock band of the same name. Live rock/hardcore/metal bands on Friday nights, karaoke on Thursdays, and rock music (all the time) on the dance floor, made in the vault. Nice food and drinks!
- Brodvėjus (Broadway), Vokiečių St / Mėsinių St 4 (Old Town), (email@example.com). Until 5AM. Cozy bar/nightclub, playing mostly pop music. Popular among both tourists and locals. Courteous staff. No cover on weekdays. Beer: 5 LTL.
- Coca Inn Gedimino av. 2A (Near Cathedral), ☎ Mobile +370 600 47862 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Tu 22:00-04:00, W-Th 22:00-05:00, F-Sa 22:00-06:00. Has 3 halls: Lounge Hall with a "Shot bar", Calm Hall with a deluxe "Cigar Room" on the side, and the Grand Hall with a grand bar. Dress code trendy everyday. Mug of beer 7 LTL.
- Disco331 Buddha Vilniaus St 33 (Edge of Old Town, close to one of the Tourism Information Offices), ☎ Mobile +370 683 04257 (email@example.com). Th-Sa 23:00-06:00. Cocktail Bar/Night Club with a two-meter tall Buddha statue, which stands in the centre of the bar. One of the largest clubs in Vilnius, capacity up to 800 people. Despite good "face control", often is very crowded. Admission: 20 LTL.
- Exit J. Jasinskio St 16A (A block south of Parliament between Neris river and Geležinio Vilko (Iron Wolf) street), ☎ Mobile +370 698 59116 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Fr, Sa, Su. EDM and house music. Admission: 20-25 LTL. No booking in advance, one can book a table by dealing directly with a waitress, the price for 1 table in a Big Hall from 600 LTL, in a Small Hall from 350 LTL.
View to the White Bridge, the Gluck night club in the centre.
- Gluck (Warsteiner Gluck), Upės St 6 (City business centre near Hotel Lietuva - a small building under the White Bridge), ☎ Mobile 370 686 60774 (email@example.com). Tu-Sa 20:00-08:00. Cozy nightclub in very convenient location in the centre; surrounding meadows are used for hot-air balloon take off in summer.
- Gravity, Activities suspended due to moving to new premises in 2011. Didn't open yet.
- Galaxy Konstitucijos pr. 26 (3rd floor of the Forum Palace). Youths, techno music night club.
- Kablys (Kultūros baras Kablys – “The Hook, a Culture Bar”), Kauno St 5 (Close to the Railway/Bus stations, an old soviet building of clubhouse originally built in the pseudo classical style, now decorated with a giant humorous hook (Lithuanian: Kablys)), ☎ Mobile: (bar) +370 663 79593; (events) +370 687 75370 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Famous, almost a cult place, The Hook, or Kablys in Lithuanian. A large multifunctional recreational space, total area 3,000 m². Four halls, up to 1,000 visitors. Subculture, underground. Cash only.
- Lindyhop.lt Klubas Saltoniškių St 29/3 (Žvėrynas district, close to Panorama shopping centre, in the factory building), ☎ +370 647 71111 (email@example.com). M-Th: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Su: 8:00 pm - 12:00 am. The coolest and oldest Lindy Hop club in Lithuania.
- Loftas (Menų fabrikas) Loftas (Factory Of Arts), Švitrigailos St 29 (New Town, close to the railway, in the former soviet factory building), ☎ Mobile +370 621 99580 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Big and trendy place for big events.
- Men's Factory (Gay Disco Club Vilnius), Ševčenkos St 16i (New Town, entrance from the courtyard), ☎ +370 453 98734, rezervation +370 650 60601 (email@example.com). Gay-oriented venue, also attracts a heterosexual clientele. Admission: 35 LTL.
- Metro Pamėnkalnio St 13 (Centre), ☎ Mobile +370 675 86452 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Sa 18:00-06:00, Su 15:00-03:00. Rock and heavy music club. Free billiard; beer and other strong drinks for affordable price.
- Mojito naktys (Mojito Nights - night club/cocktail bar), Didžioji St 33 (Main street in the Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 666 00008 (email@example.com). Th 21:00-02:00, F-Sa 21:00-06:00. Fun place with dance music in the centre of Old Town; dress code - "trendy everyday". Has 2 halls, capacity up to 200 people.
- New York Club Kalvarijų St 85 (Almost in front of Maxima, across the street by the square with a monument, building of a former soviet cinema theatre), ☎ +370 5 273-1273, mobile +370 610 10762 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 19:00-03:00. Performances, concerts, cultural projects. Private parties and entertainments, business parties, family parties, seminars and conferences. Personal menus.
- Opium Islandijos St 4 (Old Town, south from both McDonald's and Novotel at Gedimino av), ☎ Mobile +370 691 41205 (email@example.com). Fr 11:00-24:00, Su 00:00-05:00. Electronic dance music, local and international djs.
- Pabo Latino Trakų St 3 (Old Town, close to Pylimo street), ☎ +370 5 262-1045 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 212-4063). Fr 11:00-24:00, Su 00:00-05:00. Latin American cocktail bar-club, passionate and friendly place. Has 190 seats total, 3 halls, 2 bars, a large outdoor terrace in summer. Entrance is permitted from the age of 21, strict face control. Pay car parking in daytime, free in the evening. Th 21:00-03:00; F, Sa 21:00-05:00.
- Posh Pamėnkalnio St 7 / A. Stulginskio St 8 (Several metres south of Gediminas av. (in the middle), within premises of Nesė Pramogų Bankas)☎ Reservation (mobile): +370 672 28258 (POSHklubas@gmail.com). M-Th 22:00-05:00, F-Sa 22:00-06:00, Su 22:00-05:00. Cocktail Club, dressy clientele, posh place.
- Salento DiscoPub Didžioji St 28 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 676 82015. The only club open every night in Vilnius. International and friendly atmosphere, definitely a good place to party until late. Good hits music mixed by local and international djs. The most popular place between Erasmus Students.
- Soho Club Švitrigailos St 7/16 (New Town district), ☎ Mobile +370 699 39567 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 213-7329). Opens at 10PM. Popular with all sections of the LGBT community. Admission: Free until 23:00, 25 LTL thereafter.
- Tarantino Trakų St 2 (Edge of Old Town, gateway at the end of Trakai St close to Pylimo street), ☎ Mobile +370 609 61616 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Th-Sa 22:00-05:00. Pub, Concert venue, Cocktail Bar, Night Club - beloved place of Vilnius residents. Its name tells it all. Availability of separate spaces allow to organize private parties for 5-500 persons at a time. Admission: free. Cash only.
- Alaus kolonėlė, Rinktinės str. 55, ☎ +370 607 81183, . Small pub with both some raw beer of smaller Lithuanian beer brands from countryside and some world famous brands, and no cousine - just some snacks. But the beer is good!
- Alaus namai, Goštauto St 8, ☎ Mobile +370 687 28930, . Big saloon type bar with raw beer of smaller Lithuanian beer brands from countryside.
- Alaus studija (The Beer Studio), S. Žukausko St 20 (Žirmūnai district, Šiaurės miestelis (Northern Town) subdistrict), ☎ +370 685 60885 (email@example.com). M-Th 11:00-01:00, F 11:00-02:00, Sa 14:00-02:00, Su 14:00-23:00. Set in a historical building originally built in 1875 as a Tsarist Russia army canteen; authentic floors, windows, doors and columns still in tact. Focus on world famous and best beer brands right from the keg. Nice burgers, hot dogs, German snacks. Day lunch, outdoor seating in summer.
- Alchemikas (Alchemic), Islandijos St 1 (Old Town, close to Vilnius St), ☎ +370 612 99800 (firstname.lastname@example.org). W-Th 19:00-02:00, F-Sa 19:30-04:00. Cocktail bar, especially suitable for private parties. Vintage and classic cocktails. Slightly surrealistic interior. No pets allowed, no live music.
- Apuokas (Eagle-Owl), Subačiaus St 6-5 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 262-7931. One of the cheapest but still qualitative bar in the Old Town, a division of "Apuokas" Dart Club (contacts: email@example.com). Mostly famous as the gathering place for local underground people. May look scary, but perfectly safe, though it also depends. Recommended dish - čenachai and darts, if not drunk (tournaments on Sundays since 13:00). The bar has rather long history, it was established in a then newly restored building and had a name "Pelėda" (Owl). The cellars were flooded up soon after, the bar was closed but maintained good memories and reputation among Vilnius residents, former students and artists in particular. Finally the Owl revived as an Eagle-Owl. Prices: draft beer "Švyturio Extra" 6 LTL, beers "Baltas", "Baltijos", "Utena" - 6 LTL, the Bar-Beer "Apuokas" 4 LTL.
- Artistai (The Artists), Kazimiero St 3 (Old Town), ☎ Info, reservation +370 5 212-1268 (firstname.lastname@example.org). The large popular courtyard is a great place to relax and watch the sunset. Friendly service. Rock music.
- Bambalynė Stiklių St 7 (Old Town, just off Town Hall Square), ☎ +370 676 00075 (email@example.com). Located in a hidden underground cellar, this bar specializes in rare beers and meats from the Lithuanian countryside. Great atmosphere and cheap prices! Sausage platter + a beer: 13 LTL.
- Būsi Trečias (You'll Be A Third One), Totorių St 18 (Old Town, close to Gedimino av.), ☎ +370 5 231-2698. The first bar/pub, which started to brew its own beer in Vilnius. Beside lager type beer, they brew dark black beer and also make various beer cocktails. Besides its main attraction beer, there are some good food. The food prices are rather low. Good place for communication.
- Cactus Bokšto St 7 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 215-3000, mobile +370 601 12555 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 215-3901). Su-Th 11:00AM-2:00AM, F-Sa 11:00AM-4:00AM. Vilnius's only tequila bar, tucked away in the alleys of the Old Town. A warm, cozy atmosphere with unbelievably friendly staff, and great food. Play Tequila Checkers on their game board. Free shots of tequila at midnight. Serves exotic dishes such as crocodile, shark, and pheasant.
- Mojitos - Cuban Cocktail Bar Totorių St 11 (Old Town, close to Gedimino av.), ☎ Mobile +370 601 12555 (email@example.com). M-Th 11:00-03:00, F-Sa 18:00-06:00, Su 18:00-03:00. Lunch, dinner, drinks. Cuban cuisine. Cuban rum cocktails, several types of Mojito cocktail, also a genuine Cuban mojito. Free entrance. Age limit since 18:00 - from 23 yo.
- Nińo (Nińo Tapas Bar & Lounge), Šv. Ignoto St 16 (Old Town), ☎ Reservation +370 5 261-1137 (firstname.lastname@example.org). T-W 21:00-02:00, Th-F 09:00-04:00, Sa 10:00-04:00, Su 10:00-02:00. The bar downstairs in 1536 cellar. Tapas, beer, wine and cocktails.
- Pogo Vilniaus St 12 (10 metres from 'Flagman' supermarket), ☎ +370 604 19567 (email@example.com). M-Th 6:00PM-2:00AM, F 6:00PM-6:00AM, Sa 6:00PM-4:00AM, Su 6:00PM-12:00AM. Rock music, friendly staff, live concerts, happy hours and cheap prices. Best place for those who love alternative music and good company.
- Savas kampas (Homey Corner), Vokiečių St 4 ((Old Town)), ☎ +370 5 212-3203 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 262-2162). M-W 11:00-24:00, Thu 11:00-01:00, F 11:00-03:00, Sa 11:00-02:00, Su 11:00-23:00. Cozy, friendly and always welcome place. In the summer,there is also a terrace to enjoy warm evenings.
- Shimai (Sushi And Wine), Pylimo St 8/Palangos St 2 (On the NW edge of Old Town, close to Zappa Statue), ☎ Orders +370 677 75074 (email@example.com). M-Th 11:00-22:00, F 11:00-23:00, Sa 12:00-23:00. Sushi Bar. Has outdoor terrace in summer. Day lunch €4-5, average €10, delivery to home/office if order above €20.
- Universiteto Pub Domininkonų St 9 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 678 83363 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-W 22:00-04:00, Thu 22:00-05:00, F-Sa 22:00-06:00, Su 22:00-04:00. Pub, Bar. Nice decorations, good food.
street in the Old Town
In both Old Town and the Centre there are plenty of cafés. You simply can walk and choose the one you like or ignore if not in mood, not much effort is needed. There are chains of coffee shops, such like Coffee-Inn (15 points in Vilnius, among them some 6 on the main streets of the Old Town, some another 6 in Gediminas av., the Centre), AJ Šokoladas (AJ Chocolate) or Šviežia kava (Fresh Coffee) and you can easily find them without a guidance. They are not listed below, cafes within the shopping malls are not listed either.
Most of proper cafés are designed like little fancy restaurants that operate like budget eateries in daytime and turn to something like a cross between bistrò and restaurant in the evening. Vilnius stretches further beyond the Old Town and the Centre, and there is also no shortage of cafés. If you need to find some cosy or just different place to rest or eat, the following list may be useful.
- Buga Asanavičiūtė St 17 (Karoliniškės district, not far from TV tower), ☎ +370 5 240-2400 (email@example.com). M-Th 08:00-23:00, F 08:00-01:00, Sa 09:00-01:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Does not use semi-finished products. Hot chicken with chanterelles, hand-made dumplings, fresh kybyns, pizzas, carp steak "Ežys" ("Hedgehog"). Live music every Friday and sometimes on Saturday. Breakfast (until 10:30) up to 10 LTL. Downloadable price list, almost entirely bilingual (LT+EN), prices in LTL.
- Chaika Totorių St 7 (Centre, almost the Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 648 74702 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-F 10:00-21:00, Sa 12:00-19:00. Universally cozy café; the interior is contemporary but designed in 70s style, it is Vilnius’s seventies. Many authentic items from soviet times cause cheerful memories of childhood for the local visitors. Café’s Russian name, spelt in English manner, in this case is a pun with several layers of meaning visible only for locals – they would tell you a lot. Variety of tea and coffee; of course Soviet times tea served in Soviet times style is available. Has 2 halls, capacity up to 16 people.
- Dangiški migdolai (Heavenly Almonds), Gynėjų St 4 (Centre, near the Parliament), ☎ Orders +370 693 31954 (email@example.com). M-F 09:00-19:00, on weekends only by prior arrangement. Cafe-bakery. All meals, mayonnaise or tomato sauce, cakes and sweets are made at the spot. Accept orders: cakes, snacks, fancy lunch, champagne ice cream and other sweets and delicacies. Day lunch: €4-8, Day Steak €6. Delicacy €1-2/portion. Cash only.
- Fabai Ateities St 21A (Fabijoniškės sleeping district (north of centre), by the main street), ☎ +370 5 273-6464 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Th 11:00-23:00, F 11:00-24:00, Sa 12:00-24:00, Su 12:00-23:00. Styled like a countryside tavern, has 5 halls: roaster, ballroom, bar, and 2 billiard halls. European and Caucasus cuisine. Day lunch (11:00-14:00) 12-15 LTL.
- Fėjų kepyklėlė (Little Bakery Of The Fairies), J. Basanavičius St 37 (New Town, on a hill, at the corner with Švitrigaila St), ☎ Mobile +370 685 25157 (email@example.com). M-Th 07:30-19:00, F 07:30-18:00. Puff pastries, yeast dough buns, snacks, pizza, several kinds of kybyns, cookies, hot and cold drinks, ice cream, milk cocktails. Traditional menu of Lithuanian fairies. Cappuccino is almost the best in town. Fair price.
- Ibrahim (Café Ibrahim Passage), Kalvarijų St 24A (Šnipiškės district close to the centre: between the city business centre and Kalvarijos Market, within premises of a small specialized shopping centre Ibrahim), ☎ +370 5 273-1743, mobile +370 600 76890 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 273-1740). M-F 08:00-18:00; on weekends only upon request. Offer some authentic Turkish drinks: Ayran, Sahleb, Salgam Suyu, Cola turka, Turkish tea. Organize parties (up to 60 persons), buffet (up to 80 persons). Terrace, capacity up to 24 people. Day lunch around 10 LTL; dishes around 5-10 LTL; festive parties (drinks not included) from 50 LTL.
- Lazdynų žibutė (Hazel Kidneywort), Šiltnamių St 38A (Lower part of ''Lazdynai'' district (Lithuanian for “district of Hazels” where the kidneywort is blooming every spring, hence the name), south of Oslo street, east of Emergency Hospital), ☎ +370 5 244-2562 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 244-8832). M-Su 10:00-22:00. Operates since 1969, never was closed. Has 3 halls. TV screen, fireplace, sauna. Day lunch 10:00-16:00. Suitable for seminars, conferences. Most popular speciality - Roast Chicken “Žibutė” (“Kidneywort”), several Lithuanian “vintage” dishes, such like rolls with mushroom sauce, herring tower “Metropolis”, and “Karališkasis tortas” (“Royal Cake”) for special occasions. Average price 15-20 LTL.
- Liucijos kavinė-kebabinė (Lucy’s Café/Kebeb-shop), Naugarduko St 30A (New Town, on a hill, between Mindaugas and Algirdas streets), ☎ Mobile +370 646 46770 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-F 11:00-20:00. Homely café, uses mostly Lithuanian products, offer Lithuanian food, as well as local modification of doner kebebs which gained popularity among Lithuanians since c. 2005. Take-away food, orders and pre-orders via phone. Day lunch from 10 LTL; one kebab 6-10 LTL, any other dish around 5-15 LTL.
- Mažoji Ragainė (Little Ragnit), Įsruties St 22 (Pilaitė district: south of Pilatė av., between Pilaitė av. and Vydūnas St.), ☎ Orders +370 5 270-7265 (email@example.com). M-Su: summer season 11:00-23:00, winter season 09:00-21:00. Café-bar, a division of culinary-confectionery company. Has a confectionery shop next door, also has another shop at Žukausko St 26 in Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis), Žirmūnai district. Apart from a large variety of cakes and pastries offers ~100 kinds of salads, homemade dumplings with various fillings, cold snacks and hot meals. Average price ~10 LTL; family event ~20 LTL, banquet ~45 LTL per person.
- Pas Metą (At Metas), Antakalnio St 86 (Antakalnis district, in the middle between the bus stops “Klinikos” and “Tverečiaus”, by the main street), ☎ +370 5 234-1791 (fax: +370 5 244-8832). M-Su 11:00-23:00. Lithuanian cuisine; fresh juice, Lithuanian beer, also a Belgian beer Grimbergen; take-away food. Has a separate hall (up to 24 people) for the business and family events. Second course 10-15 LTL; day lunch ~7 LTL (11:00-16:00), business lunch ~20 LTL.
- Pilies kepyklėlė (Castle’s Little Bakery), Pilies St 19 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 260-8992 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Su 09:00-23:00. Old time’s Ice Cream House; converted to a café-bakery, as the new owners had idea to bake the buns and serve them with a milk. During the restoration of the interior were uncovered excellent arches, this alone made the café very popular among locals. Assortment soon has become very rich: different types of cakes, cookies, sweets, curd desserts. The most popular are “Trapusis vyšnių pyragas” (Brittle Cherry Cake) and a “Karališkasis tortas” (Royal Cake), coffee of course. Also offer steaks, crepes, soups, salads. Has an outdoor tarrace in summer. Average price ~16 LTL.
- Prie Neries (By Neris River), Žvejų St 2 (Centre, northern bank of Neris river between the Green bridge and Mindaugas bridge), ☎ +370 5 272-2102, mobile +370 654 74985 (email@example.com). M-F 09:00-16:00; on weekends only upon request. Relatively remote location, easily accessible, good view through the large windows. Almost perfect place for business lunch, banquet or a private party for up to 80 people. Has 2 halls (spacious ballroom), sauna, outdoor café. Day lunch around 10 LTL.
- Sakwa M. K. Paco St 1/2 (Antakalnis district, near St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, next to the parking lot by the roundabout), ☎ +370 5 215-4562, mobile +370 687 51101 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Su 10:00-23:00. Café in the new two-storey building with an attic, retro styled like a suburban house. Lithuanian, Polish and European cuisine. Day lunch 11:00-15:00 ~15-20 LTL; bilingual menu with the prices can be downloaded (PDF).
- Vegafé Two vegetarian cafes: Totorių St 3 (Centre, close to Gediminas av., within premises of Ananda Yoga House) and Augustijonų St 2-3/ Savičiaus St 13 (Old Town, close to Town Hall square – west of square towards Bokšto St, within premises of yoga ashram) ☎ Info and reservation: at Totorių +370 659 77411; at Augustijonų +370 659 77072 (email@example.com). At Totorių: M-F 11:00-22:00, Sa-Su 12:00-22:00; at Augustijonų: M-Sa 11:00-21:30, closed on Su. Vegetarian meals from natural products, adhered principles of ayurvedic food production. Represent lacto-vegetarian nutrition system. No microwave. Soup 4-10 LTL, salad and cold snacks 9-17 LTL, hot meals 5-25 LTL, fresh juice 200/300 ml 7-15/9-20 LTL, tea, cacao 4-10 LTL, fancy sweets 7-14 LTL.
- Vis-a-Vis Fabijoniškių St 96 (Fabijoniškės residential district, south of Impuls Gym), ☎ Reservation +370 686 72020 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Has 3 halls and bar. Business lunch: starter €1.5-2, soup €1-2, main course €4.5-5.5; banquet menu: steak €8-15, hot snacks €4, fancy cold snacks €20-30, dessert €2-15.
- Žaliasis bambukas (Green Bamboo), Latvių St 7A (Žvėrynas district), ☎ +370 5 260-8080, mobile +370 679 94696 (email@example.com). M-F 11:00-15:00, closed on weekends. Seminars and workshops on 2nd half of day (usually since 18:00) and weekends, advance registration via mail or phone is required, the price varies. Vegetarian and vegan café. Menu: five grain soup, kus-kus with vegetables and seeds, baked pumpkin, apple chutney, cake, thyme tea. Take away food: samosas with vegetable, apple, cottage cheese or caramel fillings; homemade unleavened bread, non-alcoholic wine, melted butter ghee. Day lunch 17 LTL, green cocktail 8 LTL.
- Domus Maria Aušros vartų St.12 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 264-4880 (toll free: Skype - domus.maria, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 264-4878). Unique and popular guesthouse within a monastery. Dorm bed: 75 LTL; single room: 197 LTL; double: 228 LTL; tripple 335 LTL.
- Filaretai Hostel Filaretų St 17 (Užupis District. From train station take a bus 34 to Filaretai), ☎ Mobile +370 521 54627. Chilled out place. Prices for 1 person in single room 70 LTL, other prices season-dependant: Oct 1 - Apr 30 dorm bed 31 LTL; double room: 45 LTL, tripple room 35 LTL; May 1 - Sep 30: dorm bed 34 LTL; double room: 50 LTL, tripple room 40 LTL; up to 10% discount for HI members.
- HostelGate Two places: Aušros Vartų 17-1 and Šv. Mikalojaus St 3, ☎ +370 638 32818 (email@example.com). Small hostel (formerly Vilnius Backpackers). Free wi-fi and internet, free tea and coffee, free parking. Dorm beds: 39-45 LTL; Double rooms: 110-115 LTL; Triple room: 150 LTL; Quad room: 188 LTL.
- Hostel Vilnius (Former “A Hostel”), Two places across the same street: Sodų St 8 and Sodų St 17, ☎ +370 5 215-0270, mobile +370 699 09903 (firstname.lastname@example.org). checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Superb location near the bus station, several metres to the Old Town boundary which is marked by Pylimo Street. Less than 1 bus stop ride from the train/bus stations, 5-10 min ride by trolley to the centre. Booking online via their website form. 31-70 LTL.
- JNN Gueshouse Konstitucijos av. 25 (Centre, northern bank of Neris river), ☎ +370 5 272-2270 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 272-5651). checkin: from 12:00 to 24:00. Normal place for it is value. Location depends: away from downtown noise and still within walking distance from it. Wi-Fi, pets allowed, no smoking, gay friendly. Price from 38 LTL.
- Litinterp Guesthouse Vilnius Bernardinu str.7, ☎ 8-5 2123850. Located inside a historic building on one of Old Town’s prettiest streets. Facilities are basic but more than ample, with options for everybody from single guests to families. There's a choice of en-suite and shared bathroom facilities, plus all rooms have access to small kitchens. Single: 70-100 LTL; Double: 120-160 LTL. Breakfast included.
- Old Town Hostel Aušros Vartų St 20-10 (Half a block from gates of old town, 5 minutes walk from train/bus stations.), ☎ +370 656 56571 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 268-5967). Helpful staff and good common space and kitchen with computers and wi-fi. Dorm bed: 35 LTL.
- Paupio Namai Hostel & Guesthouse, Paupio St 31a (Paupys district of the Old Town), ☎ +370 5 264-3113 (email@example.com), . Dorm bed: 45 LTL; Single: 70 LTL.
- Pogo Hostel B. Radvilaitė St 3-1 (In front of Cathedral Sq), ☎ +370 670 79591 (firstname.lastname@example.org). checkin: from 2:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. Unique for it's interior and cozyness. Unbelievably helpful staff, free coffee, tea. Free wi-fi, internet. Also you will find foosball table, PS2 console and many other activities. It's a good value for the price. Dorm bed: €11; Double: €30.
- Vilnius Guesthouse S. Stanevičiaus St 79 (Fabijoniškės residential district), ☎ +370 612 93597 (email@example.com). Single: €35.00; Double: €45.00; Vilnius Guest House is located within the city, yet in a quiet area surrounded by a small forest, it offers accommodation with a sauna and billiards. Secure Private Car Parking is available. The rooms at Vilnius are spacious and individually decorated in various colours. Each comes with a TV with cable channels, a wardrobe and a bathroom fitted with a shower. Free Wi-Fi is also provided.; Breakfast included. There's a choice of en-suite and shared bathroom facilities.
- Hotel Vilnius Europolis, Švitrigailos g. 11D, ☎ +370 5 2150410 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 2150410), . 26-room hotel in Vilnius offering free parking, wireless internet (all rooms), cafe and outdoor summer terrace. Single from €29; Double from €35; Triple from €47; quad €65.
- Ambassador Hotel, Gedimino avenue 12, ☎ (+370 5) 261 54 50 (email@example.com), . 18-room hotel. Several rooms have baths in addition to showers. Popular restaurant on the first floor. Single: €69; Double: €81; Triple: €98.
- Apia Hotel, Sv. Ignoto St 12, ☎ +370 5 212 34 26 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 12-room hotel.
- Ecotel Vilnius, Slucko St. 8, ☎ +370 5 210 27 00 (email@example.com), . 168 room hotel that occupies a former shoe factory. 10 minute walk to everything. Popular among sports groups as it is right near the stadium. Extra long beds for tall people. Single: €58; Double: €66; Triple: €81.
- Embassy Hotel Balatonas, Latvių st. 38, ☎ +370 5 272 22 50 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 28-room Hungarian-owned hotel near the embassies. Popular among eastern European businessmen. Single: €50; Double: €60. Stay 2 nights and get the third night free.
- Europa Hotels, . Operates 3 hotels in Vilnius - a 2 star, 3 star, and 4 star.
- Hotel Algirdas, Algirdo str. 24, ☎ +370 5 2326650 (email@example.com), . New Scandinavian style hotel in the centre. From €35.
- Hotel Rudninku vartai, Rūdninkų str. 15/46 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 2613916, . Cosy hotel. From €52.
- Mano Liza Guesthouse, . 8-room family-run guesthouse popular with American and Canadian tourists. Nice artwork. From €81, 50% discounts available..
- Old Market Guesthouse, Pylimo 57, ☎ +37052404923, . checkout: 10:00. Hostel style bed-and-breakfast within walking distance of the bus and train station in Old Town. In-room breakfast, wireless internet, free parking, and satellite TV are all provided. Old Market also rents flats for short-term stays. Discounts for winter stays. Staff is friendly and helpful. €52-€62 high season, €30-€50 winter.
- Ratonda Centrum Hotels, Gedimino Ave 52/1, ☎ +370 5 212 0670 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 48-room hotel. Sauna and fitness center. Popular among politicians for its location near parliament. From €59.
- Hotel Tilto, Tilto str. 8, ☎ +370 5 2100021 (email@example.com), . Irish-owned hotel in the centre. The 3-storey hotel features 35 fully equipped rooms, a cosy restaurant, and a leisure centre. In 2009 won the most hospitable hotel in Vilnius award.
- Mabre Residence Hotel, Maironio str. 13, ☎ +3705 212 20 87 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This 41 room hotel occupies a grand neo-Classical Russian Monastery. High walls give it an exclusive feel. Sauna, fitness center, and pool. Wi-fi in rooms. The Steakhouse Hazienda is located in the hotel.
- Neringa Gedimino av. 23 (Centre), ☎ Reception +370 5 212-2288 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 212-2299). 60-room hotel. Foreign magazines, beautiful flowers, relaxation area with sauna (€10) and pool, fitness center, wi-fi, bar. Breakfast included. Famous cult restaurant Neringa in the same building has a separate entrance from the street and the outdoor terrace in summer season.
- Novotel Vilnius Centre Gedimino av. 16 (Centre), ☎ +370 5 266-6200 (H5209@accor.com, fax: +370 5 266-6201). Very popular 159 room hotel opened in 2003. Tall building located near old town.
- Shakespeare Boutique Hotel, Bernardinu str. 8/8, ☎ (+370 5) 2 665 885 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. 31-room boutique English country-style hotel in the midle on the old town. Rooms are named after famous writers and books of that writer are inside each room. Nice views of nearby landmarks. Free Wi-fi and parking. Very good 'a la carte' menu breakfast included. Single: from €85; Double: from €129.
- Radisson Blu Astorija Hotel, Didzioji 35/2 (opposite the town square), ☎ +370-5-2120110 (email@example.com), . President Bush and Prince Charles have enjoyed the great service offered here. Private saunas are offered in some rooms. From €149.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lietuva (formerly Reval Hotel Lietuva), Konstitucijos pr. 20, ☎ +370 5 272 6200 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 291-room hotel. High-rise building by the river. Popular for conferences. The even-numbered rooms offer great views of old town, also from top-floor 'Skybar'.
- Ramada Vilnius, Subačiaus St 2, ☎ +370 5 2553 355 (email@example.com), . 55-room hotel. Wi-fi in all rooms and areas, including outdoor bar. From €90 in low season, €110 in high season.
- Šarūnas Hotel (Šarūno viešbutis), Raitininkų St 4 (20 minute walk from the old town), ☎ +370 5 2724888 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 272-4355; Skype: HotelSarunas). checkin: 14:00. 54-room hotel owned by and named after a Vilnius basketball star. Bar "Stars & Legends", VIP sauna & banqueting hall, fitness centre, and laundry services.
On the left: a roof of the train station, hotel in front of McDonald's; in the middle: tall buildings of the Business Centre and a hotel in the distance; to the right: brightly lit Gate Of Dawn, above it - Saint Casimir's Church with a crown on its top, Bell Tower to the left, Gediminas' Castle Tower on a hill-fort to the right.
Land line phone
The Vilnius (both town and the district) phone code is 5 and the seven digit local subscriber number.
There are abundant free wi-fi hotspots all over the city, including Gediminas av. (Gedimino prospektas), Vokiečių St (Vokiečių gatvė), Pilies St (Pilies gatvė), Cathedral Square and Town Hall Square. Free wi-fi is also available in some restaurants.
Internet cafes has essentially disappeared in Vilnius. Some that are still left may be closed in the near future. The following offer access to a computer:
- Despina (within premises of Mokymo centras - Teaching Centre Kareivių St 2 (Žirmūnai district, NE corner at the Kalvarijų/Kareivių crossing; 1st floor), ☎ +370 5 266-4520 (email@example.com). M-F 08:30-16:00 (lunch break 12:30-13:30). Cozy place to check your e-mails, chat, talk via Skype, learn and work. 3 LTL/hr (8:30-12:30) and 5 LTL/hr (13:30-16:00).
- Senoji raštinė (Old Office), Pylimo St 54 (Close to the bus/railway stations at the SW edge of the Old Town, near ''Rūdininkai'' bus stop), ☎ Mobile +370 683 77680 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 269-1745). M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-15:00. Shop of stationery and office products and services. Offer internet access as a part of office services: to receive and send e-mail, print, burn a CD or DVD. Web surfing 3 LTL/hr.
- Taškas (Dot), J. Jasinskis St 1/Dainava St 8 (Centre, SW of Lukiškės Square, close to the Lukiškės bus stop; entrance from Kudirkos St, 2nd floor), ☎ Mobile +370 685 24024. M-Su 00:00-24:00. Internet cafe service. 1 LTL/10 min; small fee for printing.
- Vilniaus centrinis paštas (Vilnius Central Post Office), Gediminas av. 7 (Centre), ☎ +370 700 55400 (email@example.com). M-F 07:30-19:00, Sa 09:00-16:00. All postal services, money orders, Western Union money transfers.
- In addition, every district has two or three local post offices ("Pašto poskyris" - "Post subdivision") which provides delivery service according to street address in the assigned area; also provides all regular postal services.
- The number of post boxes was reduced since 2011, now there are about 150 post boxes evenly spread throughout the city.
Business centre and a White Bridge at night
Vilnius is a relatively safe city; however, crimes do occur. Use typical common sense.
Try and walk with a confidence and never look lost.
The area around the central train station is particularly dodgy and frequented by prostitutes and their clients. Being drunk and acting obviously foreign in the middle of the night is a bad idea. If you have traveled from out of town to visit a nightclub or other venue, take taxis to and from your venue, and on return to the railway station remain in the ticket hall, which is patrolled by security guards.
It is recommended not to enter South Vilnius suburbs, including Naujininkai and Kirtimai, especially at night, as well as some parts of Šnipiškės which are located any deeper than its business district.
Taxis in tourist areas can overcharge 3 times the normal rate.
The coin-operated baggage lockers in the cellar of the railway station are a secure place to store bags and other items for 3 LTL per day. Ensure that nobody is around when you are getting the receipt, because there are thieves who pretend to be station staff.
- Baltic-American Clinic (Baltijos-Amerikos klinika), Nemenčinė Hwy 54a (Antakalnis elderate, NE edge of the city, by the road), ☎ +370 5 234-2020, mobile +370 698 52655 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 276-7942). 08:00-20:00, urgent cases 24 hr. English-speaking.
- Centre For Communicable Diseases And AIDS (Užkrečiamųjų ligų ir AIDS centras), Nugalėtojų St 14D (NE of city, Nemečinė Hwy, turn to the right in front of Maxima grocery store, go forwards (Pasakų St) for 250 m), ☎ +370 5 230-0125 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 276-7968). M-F 08:00-17:00, lunch break 12:00-12:30. Divisions: Epidemiological Surveillance, Immunoprophylaxis, HIV/AIDS/STI Hepatitis Epidemiological Surveillance, Information Technologies, Education And Communication.
- Clinic Northway (Northway medicinos centras), S. Žukausko St 19 (Žirmūnai elderate, Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis) subdistrict, 5 km from city centre), ☎ +370 5 264-4466. Medical Centre: M-F 07:30-20:30, Sa 10:00-15:00; Health and Rehabilitation Centre: M-F 08:00-20:30, Sa 10:00-18:00; Laboratory: M-F 07:30-19:30, Sa 10:00-14:30. Registration form on their website.
- Medicina Generalis (Med General Private Clinic), Gedimino av. 1A-19 (Centre; 2nd floor), ☎ +370 5 261-3534 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 261-3537). By appointment M-F 09:00-17:00. English-speaking. Adult and Children's Health Care.
- Santariškių klinikos (Santarishkes Clinic), Santariškių St 2 (Santariškės district, northern edge of the city), ☎ +370 5 236-5000 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 236-5111). Hospital complex encompassing the provision of medical care in heart and vascular medicine, transplantology, oncohematology, oncology and surgical oncology, radiology and nuclear medicine, children’s diseases and rehabilitation. Has an affiliate Children‘s Hospital (Vaikų ligoninė) witnin complex of Santariskes Clinic, address Santariškių St 7, phone: +370 5 272-0606 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 272-0283).
- Denticija Two places: Vinco Grybo St 32/Tramvajų St 10 (Antakalnis district) and Vilnius St 25 (Old Town), ☎ Antakalnis registration +370 698 52164, Old Town registration +370 610 07778. M-F 08:00-20:00. All regular dental services (both adult and children), oral hygiene (cleaning) and cosmetics (whitening), surgery, implantation, X-rays.
- SkraiDenta Smolensko St 6 (New town near Hyper Rimi), ☎ +370 611 51222 (email@example.com). M-F 08:00-20:00. All regular dental services (both adult and children), consultations, oral hygiene (cleaning) and cosmetics (whitening), surgery, implantation, X-rays. Price list on “Kainos” section: regular root canal treatment ~€70, complicated root canal treatment ~€85, surgery part of implantation ~€750, orthodontic implant ~€115, analgesia from ~€6.
- Canada Jogailos St 4, 7th floor (Business Centre 2000), ☎ +370 5 249-0950 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 249-7865).
- Denmark T. Kosciuškos St 36, ☎ +370 5 264-8760 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 231-2300). M-F: 9:00-17:00.
- Greece, Rūdninkų St 2 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 2610526/2610527, Emergencies:+370 6 138-4438 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 2610536). M-F: 9AM-16PM.
- Japan M. K. Čiurlionio St 82B, ☎ +370 5 2310462 (fax: +370 5 231-0461). M-F 09:00-12:30, 13:30-17:00.
- Spain (España), Gedimino av. 35/4A (Centre), ☎ +370 5 231-3961 (emb.Vilnius@maec.es, fax: +370 5 231-3962). M-F: 9:30-15:30. Emergency +370 620 21232.
- Kaunas - the second largest city, which served as the national capital in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Molėtai Lakeland — abundance of homesteads and mini-resorts scattered among more than 200 lakes of various size. Paradise for vacationists.
- Purnuškės - 25 km to the North of Vilnius, is one of the centres of Europe, this one marked by The National Institute of Geography of France in 1989. (It has now somehow moved a little closer.)
- Trakai - A very worthwhile day or half-day trip, home to five peaceful lakes and two castles. Buses leave often from the central bus station, cost a few Lits and take about 40 minutes. Trains depart a few times a day.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!