In addition to the restaurants listed below, almost all of the bars in Vilnius serve reasonably priced good quality food.
In addition to the restaurants listed below, almost all of the bars in Vilnius serve reasonably priced good quality food.
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 15:33, 28 February 2013
Vilnius  is the capital and largest city of Lithuania. It lies on the bank of Neris river and has approximately 560,000 inhabitants. Along with Linz, Austria, Vilnius was the European Capital of Culture in 2009.
People and history
Inhabited since the Middle Ages, Vilnius has always been a multinational city with Polish, Jewish, Russian and Belorussian minorities making a substantial share of its population. According to the last census of 2001, Vilnius' population includes 57.8% Lithuanians, 18.7% Poles, 14% Russians, 4.0% Belarusians, 1.3% Ukrainians and 0.5% Jews. During World War II, 80,000 Jews from Vilnius were murdered by the Nazis and their Lithuanian collaborators at the forest of Paneriai and other nearby places. After the war, most of the urban Polish population moved to Poland, while during 1950 - 1970 urbanization they were replaced by people from other parts of Lithuania, neighbouring parts of Belarus, as well as Russia, Ukraine and other Soviet republics.
Vilnius International Airport(VNO)
Vilnius International Airport (IATA: VNO), Rodunios kelias 10a, +370 5 273 9305,  is the largest civil airport in Lithuania and is located 6 km south of city center.
The following airlines operate to and from Vilnius International Airport:
Aer Lingus (Dublin),
Aerosvit Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil),
airBaltic (Copenhagen, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Riga, Rome-Fiumicino, Tallinn, London-Gatwick (seasonal)),
Austrian Airlines (Vienna),
Brussels Airlines (Brussels),
Czech Airlines (Prague),
Estonian Air (Amsterdam, Tallinn),
LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw),
Norwegian Air Shuttle (Oslo-Gardermoen),
Ryanair (London-Stansted, Milan, Rome, Dublin...)
Scandinavian Airlines (Copenhagen),
UTair Aviation (Moscow-Vnukovo),
Wizzair (London-Luton, Dortmund, Barcelona, Doncaster-Sheffield, Liverpool, Eindhoven...).
- By bus: bus #1  goes from the airport to central railway station. bus #2  goes from the airport to the city center, continuing through the business district, on to Šeškinė. Bus #1 will take you to the rail and bus stations (Stotis in Lithuanian), located next to each other . The bus ride to the center takes 15 minutes and buses depart from the airport every 10-15 minutes. Tickets can be purchased from the driver for 3.50 LTL. Notice, that by the rules only one piece of hand luggage not larger than a single seat is allowed. For larger luggage extra tickets should be bought.
- By train: you can take a train from the airport to the main train station for 2.50 LTL. The train ride takes 7 minutes, but trains depart every ~45 minutes .
- By taxi: as long as you always use the official taxis, this is a reliable and affordable form of ground transport. It is recommended that you book by phone  once you have arrived rather than using the waiting taxis as they will charge a much higher fare (70-100 LTL instead of 15-30 LTL). Be aware that taxi meter is always in local currency (Lithuanian Litas) and not Euros or USD.
Kaunas International Airport(KUN)
Kaunas International Airport (IATA: KUN), is the second busiest civil airport in Lithuania. There are scheduled minibus rides from Kaunas Airport to Vilnius Hotel Panorama (near central railway station) after each arriving flight. The same buses goes from Hotel Panorama for each outgoing flight as well.
Trains  from major destinations serve Vilnius Railway Station, located just south of the city center. There are daily train connections with Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad and Minsk. One train per day also goes to Warsaw with a change of train in Kaunas and Sestokai, near the border.
Motorways serve Vilnius from Kaunas and Panevezys. The modern four-lane motorways and main roads are in a very good state, however, in the winter smaller roads are not cleared. The speed-limit is 130 kph on the motorways (110 kph in winter), but 100 kph on the Vilnius-Kaunas sector, 90 kph outside towns and 50 kph in town.
The bus station is located across the street from the main train station. A schedule of all regional buses is posted near the ticket window.
Eurolines  and Ecolines  operate service between Vilnius and Kaunas, Kaliningrad, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and Warsaw, with further connections all over Europe.
You can find some schedules for regional buses here 
There are no boat connections to Vilnius as the city is located inland.
By bus or trolleybus
A single ticket for either bus or trolley use (same ticket works for either bus or trolley) costs 2.50 LTL if you buy it from the driver or 2.00 LTL if you buy it from a the newspaper kiosk. Paper tickets need to be stamped when getting on the bus, by putting them into the tiny red machine near the driver and pulling the rear part towards you to punch the ticket. It is highly recommended to buy the ticket, because the controls are regular, especially during the first days of each month. You may also catch a private bus, which costs 2.00 or 3.00 LTL and is a bit faster. There is a 50% discount for students and elderly people, both in public and private buses. The Vilnius City Card  includes unlimited use of public transportation. Also you can get a small private bus which costs 3 LTL.
See  for more information and schedules.
See  for unofficial trolley route map.
Beware that trolleybuses and other buses use the same numbers, so for instance if you are advised to take bus 1, check whether trolleybus or regular bus number one is meant.
A van-taxi is faster than the bus and will cost 3 LTL at most. They tend to mimic trolley/bus route/numbering system. One needs to ask the driver to stop when close to one's destination.
A regular cab may cost about 15-20 LTL if you need to get from periphery of the city to the center. You should always call a taxi by phone, even if you see a taxi on the street nearby. Street taxis charge as much as twice the price as taxis called by phone.
Good practice is to dial the number written on the vehicle you see, tell dispatcher the address you're at, and you will most likely get the same vehicle for a fair price.
Traveling by car is not advised during rush hour (about 5 PM), as there are huge traffic jams in many places, especially in the centre. For more information on renting a car, visit  or .
There is a hard division between the people who claim "there are bicycle tracks everywhere" and those who don't believe in a coherent bicycle infrastructure. The truth is: in the city centre you often find two white lines with a bicycle symbol on it. That doesn't mean they are well respected. The only "real" bicycle path leads along the river Neris North to Verkiai Nature park and the "Green lakes". If you have a day and nice weather it's worth it. Meanwhile there are some maps for cycling in and around Vilnius.
Check Do section for bike rental listings.
Although the Old Town is one of the largest in Europe, it can easily be explored on foot.
Tower at Cathedral Square
- Old Town. Until the Holocaust, much of the Old Town (Senamiestis) was the Jewish ghetto. Most of the buildings date from the 13th-19th centuries. In 1994, the Old Town was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Gediminas Castle, (Climb up to it from the Cathedral Square or take the funicular on the other side of the hill, facing the river). The red-brick tower is restored from the Higher Castle erected in the 13th–14th centuries by Dukes of Lithuania. The top of the towers offer the best view of Vilnius.
- Upper Castle Museum, . Adult: 5 LTL; Child: 2 LTL.
- Three Crosses Hill. A monument to seven Franciscan monks that were tortured here by pagans before the conversion of Lithuania to Christianity. Also symbolizes the importance of Christianity to Lithuania.
- Vilnius Cathedral, Cathedral Square. 7am-7:30pm. An original cathedral was built here in 1251. In 1387 a Gothic style cathedral was built. Now it is a classical style cathedral build by the project of Laurynas Gucevicius. The most beautiful part of the Cathedral, the baroque chapel of St. Casimir, was built in 1623–1636. The crypt shows a cross section of Vilnius through the ages, well worth seeing. You can also take a tour through the catacombs under the cathedral. 57m high belfry. Outside the Cathedral, in the square, look for a particular tile on which there is written a word "Stebuklas" (means "miracle" in Lithuanian). Stand on it, make a wish and turn around three times. Your wish should come true :) This tile also marks the end of the Vilnius-Tallinn human chain in the 1989 protest of the Soviet Union.
- Uzupis District. A largely unrestored area primarily occupied by artists, dreamers, squatters, and drunks. In 1998, the residents unofficially declared the area to be an independent republic, with its own president, anthem, flag, and constitution. Great to visit on April Fools day, when mock border guards stamp passports and the entire area erupts into a party.
- St. Ann's Church, (Uzupis District). One of the most beautiful churches in Vilnius and in Lithuania. Very small in size, but a very beautiful example of gothic architecture. There is a legend that when during his conquests Napoleon came to Vilnius and saw this church he said he would like to take it on his palm and bring to France.
- Angel of Uzupis Statue, Uzipio & Milunio gatve. Statue of an angel blowing a trumpet and standing on an egg.
- St. Peter's and Paul's Church. Another shockingly beautiful church. Not so special from the outside, but extremely beautiful inside, with all the interior overcrowded with baroque sculptural works.
- Artillery Bastion of Vilnius Defensive Wall.
- Museum of Genocide Victims aka KGB Museum, 2a Auku St., ☎ +370-5-2498155, . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 10AM-3PM. Occupies the former KGB headquarters. The bottom bricks of the buildings have the names of those who were believed to be executed inside the building. Visit the former prisoner cells. Admission: 6 LTL; Audioguide: 8 LTL; English-speaking Guide: 30 LTL. (54.688,25.270599)
- National Museum of Lithuania, Arsenalo Str. 1, ☎ +370-5-2629426, . Tuesday-Sat: 10am-5pm; Sun: 10am-3pm. Biggest and oldest source of national cultural heritage in the country, which systematically collects, stores, displays, and popularises the history of the state. Adult: 5 LTL; Child: 2 LTL.
- Frank Zappa Statue, Kalinausko str. 1 (west of Old Town), . The first statue in the world for honoring this great musician. Erected in 1995 by the local Frank Zappa fan club. Later a replica of the statue in Vilnius has been erected in Baltimore. Free.
- European Park, Joneikiskiu k, ☎ (+370 5) 2377 077 (email@example.com), . 10AM-sunset. The sculptures, which are the works of sculptors from more than 70 countries worldwide, are exhibited in the open area of 55 ha. Sometimes there is a very bad mosquito problem here. overpriced.. (54.888352,25.384684)
- Old Arsenal Building, Arsenalo Str. 3, .
- Cemeteries. There is an interesting Jewish cemetery in Šeškinė (a little outside the centre) including the grave of some very important rabbi. By the entrance to Vingis park is a war cemetery with Russian, German, and Turkish soldiers from both wars. Oldest cemetary are Rasų and Bernardinų. Also Saulės kapinės (Cemetary of the Sun) in Antakalnis district.
- Contemporary Art Center, Vokieciu str. 2, . There are always many extremely interesting modern art exhibitions.
- Literatu St, Literatu str. Vilnius (starts near the home No 32 Pilies St), . 24/7. Small artworks, dedications mounted on the walls. Dedications to the literature workers: writers, translators, everyone who has link with Lithuania and is important for Lithuanian or world literature. Artworks crafted in various outdoor-proof techniques: ceramics, sculpture, glass, wallpainting.
Throughout the year, there are a variety of cultural, music, cinema, theatre, art, and fashion festivals taking place.
- Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Games. The city's main team is named after one of its sponsors, Lietuvos Rytas Newspaper. It uses Siemens Arena for its home games in European competition, as well as high-demand domestic games, most notably the national derby against Žalgiris of Kaunas. Other games are held at the adjacent Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Arena.
- Lithuanian Opera and Ballet Theatre, A. Vienuolio 1 (Near the Green Bridge (Zaliasis tiltas)), ☎ (+370 5) 262 07 27, . beautiful ornate building. Three or four weekly performances. From 10 LTL to 120 LTL.
- Oskaras Korsunovas Theatre (OKT), . one of the most original modern theatres in Europe
- Super Segway, (Vilniaus str. 45), ☎ +370 526 20215, . Take a cheap, guided, segway tour around the main attractions of the city. Note that the price is low because of insurance related issues. 60 LTL per hour.
- Go Karts, Plytinės Street 27, Vilnius, ☎ +370 (699) 56704, . Try go karts in one of two tracks: open track at the outskirts of Vilnius or inside track with battery powered karts in Panorama Mall. 20-30 LTL per 10 minutes.
- Hot air balloon tour is one of the favourite tourists' activities in Lithuania. It's a new and interesting way of sightseeing. 
- Velo-City Vilnius, Kauno g. 5 & Aušros Vartų 12 (seasonal) (at the Gate of Dawn), ☎ +370(674)12123, . 3. Vilnius Bike Tours. Used bikes and self-repair workshop. Grab a map and a bike to tour on your own. Bike rental from 10Lt (3€) per hour. Including helmets, locks and lights. (54.673419,25.277329)
- Velotakas, Gedimino g. 26, ☎ +370(618)45727, . Bike rent in Vilnius city for 30LT/8€ a day. Free delivery of a bicycle to all hotels in Vilnius city, free helmets and locks. No deposit needed.
- Vilnius University. Founded in 1579 by Grand Duke of Lithuania Stefan Batory, it is one of the oldest Universities in Eastern Europe.
- Mykolas Romeris University, .
- ISM University of Management and Economics, Arklių St 18, ☎ +370 5 212 3960 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 212 3961), . hrd
- Vilnius Cooperative College, Konstitucijos pr. 11, . Has probably the best location of all the educational institutes in Vilnius as it is located right in the business center on the northern bank of the river Neris. The college has also very cheap accommodation building 20 meters from the college (including guests rooms for visitors) and a good canteen (lunch for less than 10LTL / 3 €. Open for the public also. Discount for students).
The average wage is around €670 a month. As of February 2010, Lithuania's unemployment rate of 13.8% was one of the highest in the European Union.
Small market in old town opening
ATMs are very common in Vilnius and most shops accept major credit cards.
Vilnius is famous for its amber, wool socks and hats and flaxware.
Upscale retailers present in Vilnius include Hugo Boss, Armani, Escada, Dolce & Gabbana, John Richmond, ZARA, United Colors of Benetton, and Mango. There are also some young local designer butiques in Stikliu street. Pilies street is where you can find tourist souvenirs.
Intead of going to the big stores, buy from the road side stalls, and you will be a very good deal on hand made socks, necklaces, earrings and other souvenirs. Vilnaus gatve(street), area near the cathedral, is probably a very good place for this.
There is a wide range of grocery stores managed by 3 biggest retail chains: Maxima, Rimi and IKI. Almost anything can be bought at one of shopping malls that are in Vilnius:
- Panorama, Saltoniškių g. 9, . 08:00-23:00.
- Akropolis, Ozo str. 25, . 08:00-23:00.
- Ozas, Ozo g. 18, . 10:00-22:00.
In addition to the restaurants listed below, almost all of the bars in Vilnius serve reasonably priced good quality food.
- Shakespeare Boutique Hotel - Sonnets restaurant, Bernardinų str. 8/8, ☎ +37052665885. 11:00 - 23:00. Menu of the Shakespeare Hotel’s, one of the best restaurants in Vilnius fuses the culture of the best traditions of European restaurants with family and business traditions. As a luxury restaurant in Vilnius, we offer our guests to enjoy classy European cuisine as well as newest gastronomic specialties available in the best modern restaurants.
- Apuokas, Subaciaus st.5, ☎ +37052627931. One of the cheapest but still qualitative bar in the Old Town. Mostly famous as the gathering place for local underground people. May look scary, but perfectly safe. Recommended dish - čenachai. Prices: 15 LTL.
- Eat East, Konstitucijos ave. 23, ☎ +37064034443, . CLOSED Prices: 10-14 LTL.
- Wok to Walk, Vilniaus str. 19, ☎ +370 655 91919. A famous Wok to Walk franchise in Vilnius. More like 20 litas for rice, sauce, vegetable/ meat selection and drink. Prices: 10-16 LTL.
- Čili Kaimas, . Chain of restaurants offering Lithuanian traditional food. Try the cepelinai.
- Čili Kinija, . Chinese restaurant in Vilnius. Serves Tsingtao beer.
- Čili Pica, Didžioji g. 5, Gedmino 23 and 8 other locations, . Chain of restaurants offering pizza, pasta, salads. If you are after a good pica - this is a place to avoid. Better try one of upscale Italian restaurant offering pizzas at the same price (e.g. Sorrento) Medium pizza(30cm): 20-30 LTL.
- Jammi, . Chain of kebab shops that offers very good value.
- Maxima, . The largest Lithuanian supermarket chain. Sells prepared food.
- RadhaRane, 32 Gedimino prospektas, Vilnius 01013, Lithuania, . Especially for vegetarians. Menu has Indian-style entrees, fragrant rice and bread. Also for a smaller bite, they have baked samosas. 10-13 LTL.
- Amatininkų užeiga, Didžioji 19/2 (Town Hall square (Rotuses aikste)), ☎ +37052617968, . until 5AM. Lithuanian and international food.
- Balti Drambliai (White Elephants), Vilniaus str. 41, . Cozy vegetarian-vegan cafe, world/reggae music, live concerts in the evenings.
- Cozy, Dominikonų str. 10, . Sauve but laid-back restaurant upstairs, DJ-bar downstairs, serves hearty modern food with a few vegetarian options.
- Centro baras (Center Bar), Totorių str. 5, ☎ +370 686 41124, . 10.30 - 23.00. Best ballance between quality and price in the mid-range costs. Owner of the bar is a chef himself. Does not work on saturdays and sundays. ~30 LTL.
- Fortas (Fort), Algirdo str. 17, . Pub-style traditional Lithuanian food. Main courses: 16-30 LTL.
- Mano Guru (My Guru). A salad bar. All of the staff are former drug addicts. Fresh food. No alcohol. Food is mostly vegetarian. 40 LTL.
- Marceliukės klėtis, Tuskulėnų str. 35, ☎ +370 5 2725087, . Hearty portions of traditional Lithuanian food. 40 LTL.
- Piti, Islandijos str. 4, ☎ 852627560. Azerbaijani food. Eg the Spicy Piti dish with beef and potatoes in a clay pot. 20 LTL.
- Vapiano, Konstitucijos pr. 7A (Europa Shopping Center), ☎ +37052383489. Italian style, fast casual restaurant. Tasty salads, a la carte pastas and pizzas are made in front of the guest.
- Žemaičiai (The Samogitians), Vokiečių st. 24, ☎ +370 5 2616573, . Traditional food from western Lithuania. You can sit on a throne or a bed. Great beer as well. 70 LTL.
- Zoe's Bar & Grill, Odminių str.. 3, ☎ +370 5 212 3331, . Great Thai food, salads, soups, and cocktails. 90 LTL.
- Balzac, Rue Saviciaus 7, . Mon-Thurs 11:30-23:00, Fri-Sat 12:00-23:00, Sun 12:00-21:00. Traditional French cuisine, magnificently executed, great atmosphere. 50LTL.
- Belmontas Outdoor Cafe, Belmonto str. 17, . Folk-themed eateries near an old French mill and beautiful waterfall. Beautiful setting popular for weddings. A 15 minute drive from the center of Vilnius. 90 LTL.
- Bistro 18, Stiklių str. 18, . Small restaurant and wine bar with good selection of cuisine. Main courses: 26-42 LTL.
- Cagino, Basanavičiaus str. 11, . Named after the famous Russian architect. Live Russian music played on a guitar. Main courses: 26-41 LTL.
- Da Antonio, Vilnius str. 23, . Excellent Italian food, more upscale than Cili Pica. 80 LTL.
- El Gaucho Sano, Pilies str. 10 (In Hotel Atrium), . Argentinian-style food (lots of meat) in a a spacious restaurant. Good service. 115 LTL.
- Ephesus, Trakų str. 15, . M-Sa: Until 6:00AM; Sunday: Until 1:00AM. Turkish restaurant. Generous portions at a reasonable price. Water pipes. 60 LTL.
- Ibish Lounge, Aušros Vartų str. 11 (Near the Gates of Dawn), . Selection of over 100 cocktails. Try the salmon. 100 LTL.
- Ida Basar, Subačiaus str. 1 (In the guesthouse of the same name, at the southern end of Old Town), . Specializes in German food and beers. LTL 100.
- La Provence, Vokiečių str. 22, ☎ 852616573 (email@example.com), . French food. House specials include roebuck with cherry sauce. Popular among French people. Starters: 30 LTL; Main courses: 60 LTL; Extensive wine list: From 80 LTL..
- Les Amis, Savičiaus str. 7. Family-run French restaurant with fresh food. 100 LTL.
- Lokys, Stiklių str. 8, . Medieval restaurant. Specializes in exotic meats. 80 LTL.
- Markus ir Ko, M. Antokolskio str. 11, ☎ (+370) 5 262 31 85, . Great steaks and live music. 100 LTL.
- Medininkai, Aušros Vartų str. 8, ☎ +370 (5) 2260771, . Part of Hotel Europa Royale. 18th century Italian artwork and courtyard. Lithuanian fusion food. 100 LTL.
- Narutis Hotel - Cellar Restaurant, Pilies str. 24, ☎ +370 5 2122894, . Eastern European food. Live violin music Th-Sa. 100 LTL.
- Sorena, Islandijos str. 4, ☎ +370 5 262 7560. Genuine Azerbaijani food. Try the Tebriz (beef skewer). 80 LTL.
- Sorrento, Pylimo str. 21A, ☎ +370 5~2 644737, . CLOSED. Italian restaurant with wood-fired oven and great pizzas for incredibly good prices.
The most popular local beer is Švyturys, meaning lighthouse. Available in lots of different styles but "Ekstra" is probably the best. The other brands of beer include Kalnapilis, Tauras, and Utenos. All of them are variations on the theme of bog-standard euro-lager. If you're a beer enthusiast forget Svyturys and other big brands - try Alaus namai (The House of Beer) and Bambalynė (see section Bars).
Lithuanian vodka (Lithuanian degtinė) is of excellent quality. The brand 'Lithuanian Vodka' is quite popular. The gold is the premium version. Cranberry is also nice.
Drink carefully as most bars will politely ask you to leave if they notice that you appear drunk (staggering, yelling, grabbing strangers). Falling asleep in bars is not tolerated. If you break a glass, many places will expect to be repaid for it on the spot but it's usually a very reasonable price.
Smoking is banned in all public places. However, a number of nightclubs have internal smoke rooms; the ventilation can be of variable quality. If you leave a club to smoke outside, make sure you get stamped and get eye contact from the bouncers so you won't have problems getting back in. It can be a good idea to show the bouncer your cigarette or cigarette packet, before exiting the premises.
- BIX, Etmonų str. 6, . Tarantino-style bar founded by the Lithuanian rock band of the same name. Live rock/hardcore/metal bands on Friday nights, karaoke on Thursdays, and rock music (all the time) on the dance floor, made in the vault. Nice food and drinks!
- Brodvejus, Vokiečių str. / Mėsinių str. 4, . Until 5AM. Cozy bar/nightclub, playing mostly pop music. Popular among both tourists and locals. Courteous staff. No cover on weekdays. Beer: 5 LTL.
- Gravity, Jasinskio str. 16, .
- Galaxy. Youths, techno music night club.
- Lindyhop.lt Klubas, Kalvarijų str. 294d-16 (5km north of the old town), ☎ +37064771111 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Mon - Thurs: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Sun: 8:00 pm - 12:00 am. The coolest and oldest Lindy Hop club in Lithuania.
- Men's Factory Gay Club, 1 Zygimantu/16 Deveenkos, . Formerly a gay-oriented venue, it now attracts a predominantly heterosexual clientele. Admission: 25 LTL.
- Olialia, A. Tumėno str., ☎ 8~620 22044, .
- Prospekto Pub, Gedimino pr. 2/1, . Fun place with non-trendy music, good drinks and a good atmosphere. The front door staff exercise a large amount of face control and may choose to not let you in, especially if you look like a local and are a male. The club is popular with locals and expatriates/tourists. Has a cover every night..
- Salento DiscoPub, Didžioji str. 28, ☎ +37067682015, . The only club open every night in Vilnius. International and friendly atmosphere, definitely a good place to party until late. Good hits music mixed by local and international djs. The most popular place between Erasmus Students.
- Soho Club, Švitrigailos str. 7/16, . Opens at 10PM. Popular with all sections of the LGBT community. Admission: Free until 11PM, 25 LTL after.
- Alaus namai, Goštauto str. 8, ☎ +370-687-28930, . Big saloon type bar with raw beer of smaller Lithuanian beer brands from countryside.
- Apuokas, Subačiaus str. 6. Heavy metal bar (especially in the underground basement). Friendly metalheads, memorable personell, great beer and famous chenachai (Karaitian meat dish).
- Artistai, Kazimiero str. 3, (email@example.com), . The large popular courtyard is a great place to relax and watch the sunset. Friendly service. Rock music.
- Bambalyne, Stikliu str. 7 (Just off Town Hall Square), ☎ +370 676 00075, . Located in a hidden underground cellar, this bar specializes in rare beers and meats from the Lithuanian countryside. Great atmosphere and cheap prices! sausage platter + a beer: 13 LTL.
- Būsi Trečias, Totoriu str. 18, ☎ +37052312698, . The first bar/pub, which started to brew its own beer in Vilnius. Besidel lager type beer, they brew dark black beer and also make various beer cocktails. Besides its main attraction beer, there are some good food. The food prices are rather low. Good place for communication.
- Cactus, Bokšto str. 7, ☎ +370 601 12555 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Su-Th 11:00AM-2:00AM, F-Sa 11:00AM-4:00AM. Vilnius's only tequila bar, tucked away in the alleys of the city. A warm, cozy atmosphere with unbelievably friendly staff, and great food. Play Tequila Checkers on their game board. Free shots of tequila at midnight. Serves exotic dishes such as crocodile, shark, and pheasant
- Pogo, Vilniaus str. 12 (right in front of Cozy). Its entrance is marked with a big UK flag. Nice decoration and also serves good Italian food for a good price.
- Prie Universiteto, Universiteto str. (10 metres from 'Flagman' supermarket), ☎ (+370) 604 195 67, . Rock/punk rock music, friendly stuff and cheap prices. Best place for students and other not so serious people.
- Savas Kampas, Vokiečių str. 4, . Until 4AM. Cozy, friendly and always welcome place. In the summer,there is also a terrace to enjoy warm evenings.
- Coffee Inn, Trakų str. 7. 7:00AM-9:00PM. Nice and relaxing coffee shop and bakery. Nice artwork. Free wi-fi. Pets welcome. 4-7 LTL.
- Domus Maria, . Unique and popular guesthouse within a monastery. Dorm bed: 75 LTL; Single: 175 LTL; Double: 250 LTL.
- Filaretai Youth Hostel, 17 Filaretų gatvė (Uzupis District. Take Bus 34 to Filaretai), . Chilled out place. Dorm bed: 31-34 LTL; Double room: 90-100 LTL. 5% discount for HI members..
- Hostelgate, Sv. Mikalojaus gatve 3, ☎ +370-63832818 (email@example.com), . Small hostel (formerly Vilnius Backpackers). Free wi-fi and internet, free tea and coffee, free parking. Dorm beds: 39-45 LTL; Double rooms: 110-115 LTL; Triple room: 150 LTL; Quad room: 188 LTL.
- JNN Hostel, Sv. Stepono g. 11 (between the railway station and the old town), ☎ (+370-5) 216 02 54, . TV and kitchen. Dorm bed: 35 LTL.
- Litinterp Guesthouse Vilnius, Bernardinu str.7, ☎ 8-5 2123850, . Located inside a historic building on one of Old Town’s prettiest streets. Facilities are basic but more than ample, with options for everybody from single guests to families. There's a choice of en-suite and shared bathroom facilities, plus all rooms have access to small kitchens. Single: 70-100 LTL; Double: 120-160 LTL. Breakfast included.
- Old Town Hostel, Ausros Vartu 20-10 (Half a block from gates of old town, 5 minutes walk from train/bus stations.), ☎ +37052625357, . Helpful staff and good common space and kitchen with computers and wi-fi. Dorm bed: 35 LTL.
- Paupio Namai Hostel & Guesthouse, Paupio 31a, ☎ +370 5 2643113 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Dorm bed: 45 LTL; Single: 70 LTL.
- Vilnius Guesthouse, S.Staneviciaus 79, ☎ +370 61293597 (email@example.com), . Single: 35.00 Euros.; Double: 45.00 Euro; Vilnius Guest House is located within the city, yet in a quiet area surrounded by a small forest, it offers accommodation with a sauna and billiards. Secure Private Car Parking is available. The rooms at Vilnius are spacious and individually decorated in various colours. Each comes with a TV with cable channels, a wardrobe and a bathroom fitted with a shower. Free Wi-Fi is also provided.; Breakfast included. There's a choice of en-suite and shared bathroom facilities.
- Hotel Vilnius Europolis, Švitrigailos g. 11D, ☎ +370 5 2150410 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 2150410), . 26-room hotel in Vilnius offering free parking, wireless internet (all rooms), cafe and outdoor summer terrace. Single from €29; Double from €35; Triple from €47; quad €65.
- Ambassador Hotel, Gedimino avenue 12, ☎ (+370 5) 261 54 50 (email@example.com), . 18-room hotel. Several rooms have baths in addition to showers. Popular restaurant on the first floor. Single: €69; Double: €81; Triple: €98.
- Apia Hotel, Sv. Ignoto str 12, ☎ +370 5 212 34 26 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 12-room hotel.
- Ecotel Vilnius, Slucko St. 8, ☎ +370 5 210 27 00 (email@example.com), . 168 room hotel that occupies a former shoe factory. 10 minute walk to everything. Popular among sports groups as it is right near the stadium. Extra long beds for tall people. Single: €58; Double: €66; Triple: €81.
- Embassy Hotel Balatonas, Latvių st. 38, ☎ +370 5 272 22 50 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 28-room Hungarian-owned hotel near the embassies. Popular among eastern European businessmen. Single: €50; Double: €60. Stay 2 nights and get the third night free.
- Europa Hotels, . Operates 3 hotels in Vilnius - a 2 star, 3 star, and 4 star.
- Hotel Algirdas, Algirdo str. 24, ☎ +370 5 2326650 (email@example.com), . New Scandinavian style hotel in the centre. From €35.
- Hotel Rudninku vartai, Rūdninkų str. 15/46 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 2613916, . Cosy hotel. From €52.
- Mano Liza Guesthouse, . 8-room family-run guesthouse popular with American and Canadian tourists. Nice artwork. From €81, 50% discounts available..
- Old Market Guesthouse, Pylimo 57, ☎ +37052404923, . checkout: 10:00. Hostel style bed-and-breakfast within walking distance of the bus and train station in Old Town. In-room breakfast, wireless internet, free parking, and satellite TV are all provided. Old Market also rents flats for short-term stays. Discounts for winter stays. Staff is friendly and helpful. €52-€62 high season, €30-€50 winter.
- Ratonda Centrum Hotels, Gedimino Ave 52/1, ☎ +370 5 212 0670 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 48-room hotel. Sauna and fitness center. Popular among politicians for its location near parliament. From €59.
- Hotel Tilto, Tilto str. 8, ☎ +370 5 2100021 (email@example.com), . Irish-owned hotel in the centre. The 3-storey hotel features 35 fully equipped rooms, a cosy restaurant, and a leisure centre. In 2009 won the most hospitable hotel in Vilnius award.
- Mabre Residence Hotel, Maironio str. 13, ☎ +3705 212 20 87 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This 41 room hotel occupies a grand neo-Classical Russian Monastery. High walls give it an exclusive feel. Sauna, fitness center, and pool. Wi-fi in rooms. The Steakhouse Hazienda is located in the hotel.
- Novotel Vilnius Centre, Gedimino av. 16, ☎ (+370)5/2666200 (H5209@accor.com), . Very popular 159 room hotel opened in 2003. Tall building located near old town.
- Radisson Blu Astorija Hotel, Didzioji 35/2 (opposite the town square), ☎ +370-5-2120110 (email@example.com), . President Bush and Prince Charles have enjoyed the great service offered here. Private saunas are offered in some rooms. From €149.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lietuva (formerly Reval Hotel Lietuva), Konstitucijos pr. 20, ☎ +370 5 272 6200 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 291-room hotel. High-rise building by the river. Popular for conferences. The even-numbered rooms offer great views of old town, also from top-floor 'Skybar'.
- Ramada Vilnius, Subačiaus Str. 2, ☎ +370 5 2553 355 (email@example.com), . 55-room hotel. Wi-fi in the lobby but not in the rooms. From €90 in low season, €110 in high season.
- Sarunas Hotel, Raitininku str. 4 (20 minute walk from the old town), ☎ +370 5 2724888 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 55-room hotel owned by and named after a Vilnius basketball star. Sauna, fitness center, and laundry services.
- Scandic Neringa, Gedimino Ave. 23, ☎ +370 5 268 19 10 (email@example.com), . 60-room hotel. Foreign magazines, beautiful flowers, sauna, fitness center, wi-fi, pool, bar. Breakfast included.
- Shakespeare Hotel, Bernardinu str. 8/8, ☎ (+370 5) 2 665 885 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 31-room boutique English country-style hotel. Rooms are named after famous writers and books of that writer are inside each room. Nice views of nearby landmarks. Wi-fi included. Breakfast included. Single: from €105; Double: from €162.
There are abundant free wi-fi hotspots all over the city, including Gedimino prospect, Vokiečių street Gatve, Pilles street, Cathedral Square, and Town Hall Square. Free wi-fi is also available in some restaurants.
- Alderada, Pylimo str. 21, ☎ +37052649797, . 9AM-6PM. VOIP calls, Internet phones, cheap international calls Internet: 5 LTL per hour.
- Omnitel, Gedimino prosect 12. 9AM-6PM. Internet: 2 LTL per hour.
Vilnius is a relatively safe city; however, crimes do occur. Use typical common sense.
Try and walk with a confidence and never look lost.
The area around the central train station is particularly dangerous and most of the street lighting is not functioning. Being drunk and acting obviously foreign in the middle of the night is a bad idea. If you have traveled from out of town to visit a nightclub or other venue, take taxis to and from your venue, and on return to the railway station remain in the ticket hall, which is patrolled by security guards.
It is also recommended to avoid waiting long for the 148 train to Moscow. It is a noted target, and many have reported having their baggage forcefully stolen. The police are also not very helpful.
Taxis in tourist areas can overcharge 3 times the normal rate.
The coin-operated baggage lockers in the cellar of the railway station are a secure place to store bags and other items for 3 LTL per day. Ensure that nobody is around when you are getting the receipt, because there are thieves who pretend to be station staff.
- Baltic-American Clinic, Atakalnio str 124 (at University Atakalnis Hospital, 5 km NE of the center), ☎ 234 2020, . English-speaking.
- Clinic Northway, S. Zukausko str 19 (5 km from city center), ☎ +370 5 234 2020, .
- Medical Diagnostic Center, V. Grybo str. 32 (4 km from city center), ☎ +370 698 00 000, .
- Greece, Rudninku 2, ☎ +370 5 2610526/2610527, Emergencies:+370 6 1384438 (email@example.com, fax: +370 5 2610536). M-F: 9AM-16PM.
- Japan, M. K. Ciurlionio 82 b, ☎ +370 5 2310462 (fax: +370 5 2310461), .
- Trakai - A very worthwhile day or half-day trip, home to five peaceful lakes and two castles. Buses leave often from the central bus station, cost a few Lits and take about 40 minutes. Trains depart a few times a day.
- Purnuškės - 25 km to the North of Vilnius, is one of the centres of Europe, this one marked by The National Institute of Geography of France in 1989. (It has now somehow moved a little closer.)
- Nida - a resort town in Lithuania, located on the Curonian Spit. Curonian Spit is listed in UNESCO World Heritage Site
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!