Finnish) or '''Vichtis'' ' (Swedish) [http://www.vihti.fi Official website] is a municipality in [[Southern Finland ]]. It's current population is 28.666 inhabitants. |+|
'''Vihti''' (''Vichtis'') [http://www.vihti.fi] is a municipality in Southern Finland. It's current population is 28.666 inhabitants.
| || |
part of Greater Helsinki - region, and while it's also bedroom suburb for Helsinki, it also has interesting characteristics of its own. |+|
Vihti is of Helsinki - , and 's , has .
| || |
|−|Confusing namesake for visitors may happen, as the municipality is called Vihti and the former municipality seat, officially Vihdin kirkonkylä , is also referred as "Vihti" in bus windows etc. Current municipality seat is in town of Nummela. |+|
and the ,
Vihdin kirkonkylä is referred as "Vihti" in bus windows . municipality town.
| || |
Revision as of 10:47, 20 January 2013
Vihti (Swedish: Vichtis)  is a municipality in Southern Finland. It's current population is 28.666 inhabitants. Being a northernmost part of Helsinki Region, it mixtures a semi-urban bedroom suburb to living countryside with old mansions and large amounts of unspoiled nature.
First written mention of Vihti is dated 1433, but official founding year in considered to be 1507, when St. Bridget's Church was built and first vicar was appointed. Municipality as a legal entity was formed in 1867, after law regarding municipalities was approved in 1865. Town of Nummela was formed around year 1900 when railway stop in route Helsinki - Hanko was built. Vihti was quiet and small agriculture driven countryside, until the 70's and 80's brought both expanding migration and some light-weight industry. Nowadays, population has almost tripled from year 1950 and municipality, especially in Nummela, continues it's rapid growth.
Vihti can be divided into three areas:
- Nummela Current municipality seat, home of night clubs and most of shopping options and such. Population around 15.000
- Vihdin kirkonkylä Old municipality seat with certainly more historical feel than modern Nummela, yet with population of around 5000 lacks the commercial buzz of Nummela. Often abbreviated as Vihti kk.
- Elsewhere is smaller villages with virtually non-existent shops and restaurants, but with some of the Vihti's highlights, such as Ojakkala with ski resort and golf club, Tervalampi with old mansion and gateway to Nuuksio National Park and Olkkala famous for it's stunning old mansion.
Note the confusing naming: Vihdin kirkonkylä is referred as "Vihti" in bus windows and road signs. So, be aware, that "Vihti" can refer as whole municipality or certain town, depending on context.
Around 50 buses daily connect Nummela to Helsinki, while Vihti town can be reached with around 25 daily services.
Also express-services which run from Helsinki to Pori and Rauma take and leave passengers from Highway 2 intersections at Nummela and Vihti town
Both centers of Nummela and Vihti kk are easily covered by feet.
There's distance about 10 kilometres (6 miles) between these towns, which is linked with around 25 buses a day (less so in Saturdays and Sundays).
More remote sights are easiest accessed by car or bike, as the bus services tend to be very limited.
- Pyhän Birgitan kirkon rauniot (Ruins of St Bridget's Church), . No admission.
- Vihdin kirkko (Vihti Church). Free.
- Nuuksion kansallispuisto (Nuuksio National Park), (Tervalampi). Free.
All of the municipality, except perhaps the semi-urban twist of Nummela is located by beautiful nature. And as Everyman's Rights allow visitor to enjoy as freely as native Finn, there is multiple options, including skiing, swimming, trekking and more.
While Vihti isn't exactly shopper's haven, it boasts totally adequate shopping options for most circumstances.
Groceries and such can be easily (and with most inexpensive price) found in Nummela's two competing hypermarkets: Citymarket and Prisma. If you are staying longer and looking for cheap trekking equipment, fishing equipment, tools, car spare parts and alike, your best bet is Hong Kong. Nummela is also home of innovative textile company Globe Hope, which have a factory outlet at Harjutie 14
Eating in Vihti might not be immortal experience, due to non-existent top-flight restaurants, but you should be able to eat decently and with inexpensive price throughout the day.
Some better options are:
- Cantina Antonio, Pisteenkaari 4, Nummela (At market square).
- Heng Feng, Tuusantie 3, Nummela (Close to bus station).
- San Pietro, Vihdintie 3, Nummela.
Vihti's night life concentrates to Nummela. It has surprisingly vibrant scene to its size on weekend, while on weekdays bars and clubs tend to be rather quiet.
- Cantina Antonio, Pistenkaari 4, Nummela (At market square). While Mexican restaurant at daytime, this one doubles as crowded disco / night club during Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
- Ned Kelly's, Pilkkukuja 1 (Adjacent to Market square). On weekdays laid-back cafe / bar, turns into crowded night club on weekends. Especially popular with younger locals.
- Air Hotel, Lentokentäntie 5, Nummela (Nummela airport), . About a mile away from town central, Air Hotel is next to Nummela's leisure flying center 85.
- Selli Majoitus, Linjalankuja 3 A, Vihti kk (At Vihti kk's bus station), . This option offers lodging in old police station's premises. If looking for longer stay, they do have really affordable weekly and monthly plans. from 60€.
Vihti's Tourist Information is located at Niuhalanraitti 21 in Vihti kk. You can call them +3580440511411 or email email@example.com. They do have Facebook-page at https://www.facebook.com/vihdinmatkailupalvelu
Following cities and towns can be reached directly from Nummela by car / bus, distances in parentheses.
- Helsinki (45 km / 28 mi) capital city of Finland
- Turku (127 km / 79 mi) old capital at west coast
- Hanko (100 km / 62 mi) charming southern harbor town
- Lohja (19 km / 12 mi) mid-size modern town, with interesting mine museum and medieval church
- Hyvinkää (49 km / 30 mi) industrial town, important railway hub
- Pori (200 km / 124 mi) old town at West Coast, home of Pori Jazz -happening
- Rauma (213 km / 132 mi) one of Finland's oldest town, with stunning wooden Old Town.