Vereeniging is a city in southern part of the Gauteng province of South Africa, located on the banks of the Vaal river.
The area around Vereenging has seen many conflicts, from the Anglo-Boer wars to the anti-Apartheid uprisings.
The Sharpeville Massacre occurred in a suburb of Vereenging on 21 March 1960, when 69 people were killed and more than 300 wounded during a confrontation between the police forces and 12 000 protesters against the Apartheid laws. The 21st of March is today a public holiday (Human Rights Day) in South Africa in recognition of this event.
Vereeniging is located between the Vaal river and the N1. From Johannesburg, follow either the R59 south for around 69km and take the Voortrekker Road exit. One can also reach Vereeniging using the N1, but the R59 is a lot more direct and simpler.
Public transport is limited and it is best to travel by hired car.
- Sharpeville Memorial. In recognition of the Sharpebille Massacre
- Peace Monument. In memory of the Anglo-Boer War
- Maccauvlei Garden of Memorial. A headstone with the names of the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand soldiers who died this area during the Anglo-Boer War.
- The Vaal Teknorama. A museum focusing on the industrial development of the area.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| Under R60
|| R60 to R120
|| Over R120
Petit Verdot floating restaurant
- Petit Verdot Floating Restaurant, At the Riviera on Vaal Hotel on Mario Milani Drive, ☎ +27 (0)16 420 1300, . Lunch cruise: every Sunday departing at 2PM, return at 5PM. Bookings essential. Luxurios 4 star treatment. Staff is very efficient and friendly.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R1315
|| R1315 to R2785
|| Over R2785
- Riviera on Vaal, Mario Milani Drive, ☎ +27 (0)16 420 1300 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. Also the location of the Inyama Grill House and Zorgvliet Spa