| || |
* Varkala is also connected by Rail Network. If coming from Trivandrum and Cochin, the faster but more expensive and
les regular (250 Rs) option will be coming by train. Almost all trains passing by call at Varkala Station. From Varkala Railway Station, taxis and auto rickshaws can be hired. Papanasam Beach is around 5km from Varkala Railway Station Rs 40/50 by Auto Rickshaw). |+|
* Varkala is also connected by Rail Network. If coming from Trivandrum and Cochin, the faster but more expensive and regular (250 Rs) option will be coming by train. Almost all trains passing by call at Varkala Station. From Varkala Railway Station, taxis and auto rickshaws can be hired. Papanasam Beach is around 5km from Varkala Railway Station Rs 40/50 by Auto Rickshaw).
| || |
Revision as of 05:35, 26 May 2014
Varkala is a town in the Indian state of Kerala, about 50km north of Trivandrum and is home of the popular Papanasam Beach. Also, the Samadhi of Kerala's saint Sree Narayana Guru is situated in this town and hence has become a place of pilgrimage.
If you're looking for beaches and are fed up with the crowds and prices at Kovalam, then its well worth checking out Varkala. The best times to go, are of course in the season, when the beach extends out all around the cliff face for 500 meters.
The beaches around this area are excellent and if you're looking for a cheap holiday Varkala should definitely be on your list. In the off season its really mellow and relaxed, swim and sleep and chill out. Only in December does it get really busy and prices start rocketing till January/February, when it starts to quieten down.
The main season starts from Dec 1st- March 31st, with December & early January experiencing the biggest rush. If you want to go out of season, then you can stay very cheaply and of course avoid the crowd. Varkala is quite a new place to hang out in India and has only recently been developed as a tourist destination. Slowly even the north of Varkala Beach gets developed for tourists. There is a promenade built from the Department of Tourism, which allows a scenic walk for about 1.5h towards north, passing Odayam and Edava until Kappil.
Average temperature in Varkala in Celsius.
- Summer(Humid): Mar - May: 25°c-33°c / Summer Max: 35°c.
- Monsoon(Cloudy): Jun-mid - Sep: 21°c-27°c / Winter Min: 15°c.
- Winter(Pleasant): Sep - Feb: 22°c-28°c.
- Rainfall: 310 cm.
- Varkala is linked by state and national highways to all the major cities in Kerala, Tamilnadu and Karnataka.
- The nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport (50km, 1hr 15 min drive).
- Efficient, government run, air conditioned, low floored buses run from Stand 19 at Trivandrum's brand new (2014) bus terminal opposite the train station. Services supposedly run every hour, although this report is unconfirmed, price - 90Rs. Bus services are also available from Varkala to many parts of South Kerala and Kanyakumari
- Varkala is also connected by Rail Network. If coming from Trivandrum and Cochin, the faster but more expensive and less regular (250 Rs) option will be coming by train. Almost all trains passing by call at Varkala Station. From Varkala Railway Station, taxis and auto rickshaws can be hired. Papanasam Beach is around 5km from Varkala Railway Station Rs 40/50 by Auto Rickshaw).
The town of Varkala is about 3 km inland, centered around the train station, and can be reached via autorickshaw for Rs.40
The resort area lies along two cliffs, north and south, overlooking the beach areas. The main Papanasam beach is between these, while less crowded Black Beach is to the north. This entire area is easily accessible by walking the fine sidewalk along the cliff edges.
- Shree Janardhana Swamy temple. It is 2000 years old. Varkala has been a Hindu pilgrimage site since the 12th Century. The Janardhana Temple was built during this period and many Hindu's still visit Varkala to this day, for this very reason. The Varkala sands has become an ideal spot for confluence of cultures exotic and alien. Varkala also houses a leading pilgrim centre in Kerala. The temple, dedicated to Vishnu and Hanuman, atop the hill has brought a sobriquet for the region, Southern Kasi (Benares). Non-Hindus are not permitted to enter the inner sanctum but can hang around the temple.
- Sivagiri. Sree Narayana Guru (1855-1928), saint, social reformer, philosopher and leader of Ezhava community, made Varkala his headquarters. Sivagiri mutt, instituted by Sree Narayana Guru, is another major pilgrim centre here.
- The 'Sivagiri Pilgrimage' is usually conducted between 30th December and 1st January every year. The Sivagiri Mutt - a religious retreat was founded by Sree Narayana Guru (1856 - 1928) the renowned philosopher and social reformer of modern Kerala. Even decades after the Guru breathed his last here in 1928, his Samadhi (resting place) continues to be thronged by thousands of pilgrims. The Sivagiri Mutt is also the headquarters of the Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Sangham, a religious organization established by the Guru to propagate his concept of 'One Caste, One Religion, One God'
- Nature Care Centre. Papanasam.
- East West University of Brahmavidya. Established by Guru Nitya Chaitanya Yati, Disciple of Nataraja Guru.
- Narayana Gurukula. Established by Nataraja Guru.
- Varkala Tunnel. Built by the British in 1880.
- Fishing Hamlets of Anjengo and its British Fort.
- Coir Processing Centres. In the Backwaters of Akathumuri, Kadakkavur.
- Edava Beach . Beautiful and serene beaches where you can bask in the sun and salubrious climate. In fact Edava beaches are yet to be explored by the tourists. If you go further towards Kappil you will find blue lagoon, where sea and backwaters running parallel divided by a more-than-one km of straight road. There is also an estuary that connect the sea with the backwaters here.
- Play Cricket,Vollyball or Football on the black beach most days from 4pm. See who's about and ask for a game. Watch out for the Indian Bureaucracy! But it is also said, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."
- Daily Evening shows of the traditional Temple Dance Drama of Kerala - KATHAKALI. ( north Cliff near Clafouti and Thanal Beach Resort in the Varkala Culture Centre) Entrance fee 300 INR which includes the Make-up from 5pm - 6:45 and the show from 6:45 - 8:15pm
- Get an Ayurvedic massage at the numerous ayurvedic spas. Lookout for fraudsters.
- Yoga. Varkala has a few quality yoga places, which sometimes also offer rooms for rent and include the classes in the price. If you're serious about your yoga, a few places off in depth retreats. Try Savasana Yoga Center, just off the cliff. savasanahome.sharepoint.com
- Saji's Savasana Nature Tours give a chance to see some of the beauty and diversity just outside Varkala. Day trips weekly. Contact email@example.com.
- Discover Edava Lakeside discover Edava's backwater on small local boats. A half day tour organized by AsinMomo Homestay in Edava in cooperation with local guides from the lakeside, shows you some different places and the normal life of people around the lake and the canals in Edava's backwater. It starts around 2:30 in the afternoon for about 3 to 4 hours, and you have to book 1 day in advance. Information and bookings : 0091 9895 49 22, AsinMomo Homestay, Edava
Numerous small shops line the cliff-top, selling both local and touristy attire.
The only fancy restaurant available at Papanasam/Varkala is in the Taj Garden Retreat.
Almost all hotels and resorts have room service. There are lots of restaurants at the cliff. Most of them and places-to-eat in the cliff are seasonal and spring up during the tourist season (beginning in late November). Try the fresh fish or seafood from any number of the cliff-top restaurants. Seafood is caught by local fishermen and displayed in front of many restaurants. Select your food, have it prepared in the tandoor and enjoy the sunset while you dine.
- Little Tibet serves amazing tibetan food. Try the momos (tibetan dumplings, served with a soup to sip in) and the Chapati Roll, veg coast Rs 80 and Rs 90. Another must is the fresh pineapple/grape juice. Plus the most generous fruit salad.
- Shiva Garden Kerala Restaurant - Traditional Kerala food. "Traditional Kerala Thali everyday". Vegetarian and non-veg restaurant.
- Hotel Suprabhatham vegetarian food.
- Varkala Park Hotel is situated near Varkala railway station offers restaurant, room Service and a bar.
- Cafe del Mar situated on top of the cliff. Unlike many other cafes in Varkala, it has fast service and first class food, and serves Indian, Mexican and Italian.serves buffet breakfast as well. Their waffles and panini sandwiches are great. Best salads and char grilled steak.
- Ootapura Vegetarian Restaurant is almost the first restaurant you come to from the helipad. Will accommodate for vegans more so than most vegetarian places, which may often still use ghee for cooking.
- Reena Bakers situated almost opposite the railway station serves very good pastries and cakes.
- Trattoria's on north end of the cliffs, with a second story view, fast, cheap, and good.
- Eden Restaurant, Helipad, North Cliff. situated in the front garden of Mohan's Inn on the helipad. European owned and managed with European cook. Continental menu.
- Respiro Heathy Food, kurakani road ((next to Silver Estate, Soulmakers)). International restaurant, Indian and Italian food, Chef from Nepal and chef from Italy. Tasty food in an artistic colourfull ambiant...and it no longer exists
- Chill Out Lounge, North Cliff, Varkala. A chilled out atmosphere for food, drinks and music. Located south of the main beach, go up the alley next to The Juice Shack; Chill Out is at the end. A very fine pickup musical group entertained one evening.
- Rock n Roll Cafe situated on the cliff towards the black beach. Open all day and night, with regular live music they offer great breakfasts that will set you up for the day (try the stack of fluffy American pancakes with caramalised banana or the eggs benedict), espresso coffee, the largest selection and cheapest cocktails for watching the sunset over the Arabian sea, a varied dinner menu with local specialities including fresh fish, crab curry, biriyani and western favourites. Very easy to relax here with board games, free reliable wifi, water refills and plastic recycling, always something interesting to read and great music all day / night. Try to stay in groups as the local Indian men can get very aggressive to men and women and there have been many reports of sexual assaults. It is unlikely that this place will remain open for much longer.
- Tuman, Varkala Cliff (north side). The name means «fog» in Russian. Huge menu contains popular Tibetan, Thai and, of course, Russian dishes, like momos, tom yam, tom kha, borsch. Also they have decent coffee. Can be crowded at peak hours
There are several bars:
- KTDC's Beer Parlour. Located at Puthanchanda, 6 km from Papanasam.
- Many of the Restaurants at Cliff also serve beer, although by law in Kerala only a restaurant attached to a hotel/guesthouse can serve alcohol so it may not be in the menu and they may request you keep the bottles out of site.
- Varkala Park near Railway Station.
- KR Bar near Railway Station
- Babuji Bar, Maidanam
- Karthika Bar, Maidanam
- Coffee Temple (Next to Helipad. (o.k. The car park)), Varkala Cliff (On cliff path. First restaurant u see!), . 6 am-7pm. Arguably the best coffee in kerala. Since 2006 when they had the first espresso machine in Varkala. They've grown in reputation and size, and have moved to a larger site next to the helipad where they have a Taco Shack adding to their popular if somewhat small menu of deep fluffy omelettes, crepes luch- time Thali,s and fab breakfasts, which now include classic Indian dishes like puttu and masala dosa. A selection of daily papers, fast wi fi , free as in about all restaurants on the cliff these days, and free filter water refills, to while your time while gazing out over the ocean Decent.
- The Juice Shack, north cliff Varkala (Behind The Tibetan market). 7am to 7pm. is situated behind the tibetan market serving juices with beautiful combinations and healthy oriented,also only place in the cliff providing water refill.The salad buffet done 3 times a week for dinner is the high light of this place providing a rare varieties of western salads and home made kerala dishes with veg and non veg,the freindly atmosphere and you can gather informations on your onward travel and train timings here, The Juice Shack is recommended by all tour guides. Budget.
- Ginger Lounge / Mango House, Helipad, Varkala Cliff (road to Helipad). Only place in Varkala with big social tables. Unlike cliff front places with tables and chairs, ginger lounge offers low tables where customers sit on cushions which is makes it easier to meet others. Run by local lad, Sulfi, who also has a travel agency and is genuinely helpful. Great place to try your hand at Carrom, the traditional Indian board game that some say served as the inspiration to the British army officers that invented billiards while posted here in the 18th century.
- Varkala Marine Palace, Papanasam Beach, Varkala (After reaching Varkala town, you instruct the driver to come to the Helipad which is located on the main cliff. There you can see a big sigh board for Government Natural Cure Hospital on you left reaching upon this helipad. You have to proceed closer to this board and there is a mud road a little ahead towards the left and along the cliff edge going down to the beach. Car can drive on this path which winds down to our resort which is the dead end.), ☎ 09388661585, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 12 noon. A beautiful heritage type resort located right on papanasam beach. Highly recommended by tripadvisor. 1000. (5200,)
- Mango Villa (firstname.lastname@example.org), Behind Tibetan Market, North Cliff (near Jicky's room), ☎ +919995040610, . Mango Villa (which must not be confused with Mango House) offers 6 rooms all with attached bathroom and private balcony. The guesthouse has build its reputation as one of the cleanest place in Varkala and is largely appreciate for its lovely garden full of flowers.
- Heavenly Breeze Beach Resort, (North Cliff, next to the former Signature), . Rs 150 for a dorm! This place is clean, quiet, and managed by two considerate men. The literature says "50 meters to the beach" but they really mean "to the promenade / cliff". A giant locker is assigned to each bed with lock provided.
- Aleema Beach Resort, Odayam Beach (road to Odayambeach after the Green house, left down), ☎ +91 999 593 82 95, email@example.com. A really romantic place in the backside of Odayam Beach with the great view over the whole beach. 5 rooms, with sit-outs, a roof top, garden are there. Breakfast is available, and local food by order is made by Kanon. Great atmosphere! 500 - 1000.
- AsinMomo Homestay (Homestay, Bed and Breakfast), Sreeeight Cliff, Manthara, Edava (on the seaside past the Manthara temple in Edava with the riksha or bus or about 30 min. walk north from Varkala Beach), ☎ +91 4702 66111, +91 9746 989528 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Charming Homestay of a local family close to the beach on the cliff in Edava. Simple and comfortable rooms with attached shower / toilet. WiFi, Sit-out, smal Restaurant with local and some western food; some nice and peaceful beaches are very close. English, Malayalam, Hindi, Italien, German, French and some Spanish spoken.
- Baby House, (next to Tibetan market, north cliff), ☎ +91 9895874106, . Double room with TV, A/C and fan, just 50m from the beach. Big balcony with hammock. Non a/c double for Rs 800, with a/c Rs 1500. Nice clean rooms. Hot water shower. Hi-speed broad band internet connection. Really nice owners and a wonderful family with the most cutest little boy. Now in the roof top yoga classes in daily three times. one and half hour one class 300rupees per person.WWW.Babyhousevarkala/babyhouse email:email@example.com
- Bamboo Village, (near North end of cliff), ☎ +91 470 2610732. Individual huts around a small garden facing the sea. ~Rs.700.
- Government Guest House, (located next door to Taj Garden Retreat), ☎ +91 472 602227. Former Maharaja's summer plalace.
- K.R. House, (Behind temple, south cliff. A place ideal for relaxation and comfort. Price ranges from Rs 200-350), ☎ +91 470 9388720200.
- La Exotica Homestay, Helipad, Varkala (near the beginning of the north cliff), ☎ +91 470 2608866 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11:30AM. Government approved homestay. All the rooms are neat and have sea facing balcony. Rs. 1,200-3,500.
- New Heaven, (just by Black Beach/the Northern beach). checkout: 12 noon. With 24/7 hot water for bucket baths and fans in rooms. Rooms are clean and tidy. Raj, who works there, is always around and helpful. However, some travellers were promised a free transport from the bus station by Najmudeen and then later forced to pay R. 1000 for the trip. ~Rs 300-550 in low season, Rs 750 - 1000 in high season, depending on length of stay and whether you have a ground floor or first floor room.
- Rubybleu Homestay, '''Rubybleu Homestay''' Near Helipad, Varkala, ☎ +91 9946931671 (email@example.com), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11.30. Rs 200-700.
- Savithri Inn, (North end of the cliff, close to Black Beach), ☎ +91-989-5242939 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: anytime; checkout: 12:00 pm. Located just behind the main strip along the far end of the cliff. Beautiful, well maintained, peaceful grounds with big hammocks. Bungalows are new, clean and spacious, all have hot water and some have AC. WIFI. Staff friendly. 300 - 1500. Rs 300-1500.
- Sherin Cottage, Thiruvambadi Road (close to Durga Temple), ☎ +91-984-770-8206 (email@example.com), . checkin: anytime; checkout: 12:00 pm. Sherin Cottage is located 4 minutes from the cliff scene where beach, restaurants and shopping is located. All bedrooms have private baths, screened windows and fans. Breakfast and WiFi is included in price. Nice garden with hammocks for lounging. firstname.lastname@example.org Rs 500-800.
- Shiva Garden Home Stay and Appartments (located next door to Preeth Beach Resort), Kurakkanni,Varkala, Kerala, India (North cliff), ☎ 1, . Individually crafted and comfortable rooms. Pleasant garden. Homey feel. Kind host.
- Silver Estate (Soulmakers), middle cliff, kurakani road, ☎ +919387755309, . Silver Estate offer rooms (clean w/ attached bathroom), restaurant (Indian & Italian food), garden, chill out area, art. Part of the Soulmakers Pvt Ltd.CLOSED DOWN 250 to 450. (lat,long)
- Villa Jacaranda, Temple Road West (in South Cliff area overlooking the Arabian Sea), ☎ +91 470 2610296 (email@example.com), . Bijou guesthouse in serene area. The hotel offers four individual rooms, fragrant garden, lily pond & roof terrace. Ayurvedic massage and treatments on offer.
- Good Karma Beach Resort (located in the small fishermen village of Odayam, 15 minutes North of Varkala Cliff). . Our resort is surrounded by coconut trees, just 200 meters from a beautiful quiet beach. Enjoy the privacy of our peaceful garden, courtyard and roof terrace, overlooking the beauty of the sea. Our rooms: 4 double rooms with sea view. 2 double room overlooking our beautiful courtyard. All rooms have bathrooms attached, balcony, ceiling fan and mosquito nets. We offer free wi-fi internet connection to our guests. Info:firstname.lastname@example.org www.om-india-om.com Odayam Beach Road Varkala Odayam 00919895664525 we speak german, french and english Prices: 1000Rs until 1800Rs>
- 8-Wonders Resort (Resort on the cliff), Sreeeight Cliff, Manthara, Edava (on the seaside past the Manthara temple in Edava,about 30 min walk north from Varkala Beach). Resort with splendit view, straight on the cliff. Bungalows and rooms with attached shower/toilet. , Garden, sit-outs; some nice and peaceful beaches are very close. English,Spanish spoken.
- Casa Eva Luna, Off Kurrakkani Road, Varkala (Near Govt. Guest House), ☎ 00919946069770, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 noon. Situated a few minutes from the beach and cliff. The house has two floors and is located on a 3,000 square metre plot. It has two double rooms on each floor, each decorated in a different style that reflects the nature of the surrounding area. All rooms have marble floors, ceiling fans, en-suite bathroom and towels. Ayurveda massage room, restuarant and free wifi. From Rs. 750.
- Clafouti Heritage Beach Resort, North Cliff (Call from the train station and they will arrange pickup), ☎ +914702601414, . 42 room in 2 levels with private bath, facing the sea, well organized, and very pleasent. Their restaurant is tops and the service great. Rates from 1500 Rps to 2500 Rps.
- Golden Sands Building (located near Kuttikkadu temple), Kurakkanni,Varkala, Kerala, India (North cliff), ☎ +91 8943687915, . checkin: all time you like; checkout: all time. New house, clean and 5 min. to the beach. 8 rooms available from 800 INR.
- Hill View Beach Resort (good location, near to everything), right on the cliff, varkala, ☎ +91-470-2607221, Mr sha,, . checkin: 21/12/2012; checkout: 24/12/2012. hot water all the time and good service. Average. tariff include buffet breakfast.
- Karthika Plaza ResortT, Wacher Mukku (Near Govt. Guest House), ☎ +919946388654, . 10 room B&B/Inn in 2 levels with private bath, facing a well arranged garden. Rates from USD 15 to USD 65.
- Mektoub, Odayam beach, Varkala, India (From Varkala to Odayam beach, from behind Parambil Temple, turn right and follow the signboard), ☎ +91 9447971239 (email@example.com), . a Green Hotel with natural and endless wilderness, set in simple, peaceful, rustic ambience, secluded and rightly placed in Odayam Beach where the traveler halts and rests. Mektoub is passionately eco-conscious, friendly and helpful, envisioned to bridge tourism and the local community pro-creatively through sustainable developments.. from 9 to 30 Euros.
- Prathibha Park. Located at Helipad, with good views and easy access to the beach.
- Savasana Homes Vacation Rentals, North Cliff (Call from the train station and they will arrange pickup), ☎ +9633044836, . Fully furnished apartments with kitchens, dining rooms, balconies and 2 or 3 bedrooms. Each unit sleeps 4 to 8 people. See their web site at savasanahome.sharepoint.com Rates from 10,000 rs per week.
- Sea Splendour, (1/2 km North of cliff), ☎ +91 470 2662120, . Operated by a friendly couple, this small (11 room) guest house is off the beaten trail. The food is all home-cooked, and the coffee is delicious. Just 200 metres away from the sea shore.
- Seapearls Chalets, (South cliff), ☎ +91 470 2605875. Located at the cliff with views.
- Sharanagati Yogahaus (Yoga Vacation Homestay), thiruvambadi road, varkala (near black beach at north cliff), ☎ +91 90 48 69 47 62, . Offers homestays/yoga vacations which include yoga classes, Vipassana meditation, morning tea and Kerala-style lunch in the room price. Also offers individual yoga classes for people staying somewhere else. Beautiful quiet garden with hammocks. Only 4 rooms available (keeps traffic down). Price seasonal. Contact via website. (8.743905,76.698028)
- Signature Residence, at the middle of North Cliff, ☎ +91-470-2603982+91-9946042340, Ambu Raja, www.signatureresidence.in. very silent place but very close to the restaurant chains at the cliff top.
- Blooming Bay Resort, (south end of South Cliff), ☎ +91 470 3205151, . If you want peace and quiet and you have your own transport then this is the place. Rs.4000-6000.
- The Gateway Hotel, Janardhanapuram Varkala, Opp Govt Guest House, Janaradhanapuram, Varkala (Close to Janardhanaswamy temple, Papanasam Beach), ☎ +91 470 6673300, . checkin: 1400 hrs; checkout: 1200 hrs. Perched atop a majestic red cliff overlooking the Arabian Sea, this charming retreat offers warm hospitable service as well as fantastic views. Guests are only minutes away from Kappil beach, and Janardhanaswamy Temple, a famous 2000 year-old temple. Rs.6000-9000.
- Hill View Beach Resort, (North cliff), ☎ +91 470 2600566, . Has spacious and clean rooms on the cliff. $25-$90.
- Hindustan Beach Retreat, ☎ +91-470-260 4254/55 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Beachside resort that offers excellent views. In an upmarket category with very competitive rates.
- Mom Lekha's Private Homes, (Papanasam Beach Avenue), ☎ +91 470 2610756, . Private homes by the beach. Rs.1500-2500.
- The Royal Mount, tel: +91-470-2660037. - Ayurvedic resort.
- Hotel Varkala Park International, ☎ +919846583845, . Three star hotel.
- WoodHouse Beach Resort. Beach Resort in Varkala near Papanasham. phone="+91 470 2156392" Woodhouse is nicely located at northern end of north cliff (almost at sea level) and is therefore equidistant to Varkala and Odayem Beach allowing you mix up beach days and avoid the "market gauntlet". They also have a well run seaside restaurant if you're feeling lazy. Rs. 2000-3000 in December
- P.K.Dental Clinic/ P.K. Esthetic & Cosmetic Dentistry, Temple road, Varkala Tel 9447460920
- Stavyah Lifecare ,Varkala. t: +91 470 6453636, 2607788 ( S U T Medical College Urban Health Centre,Varkala )
- Sree Narayana Medical Mission Hospital.
- Varkala Government Hospital.
- Government Ayurvedic Hospital.
- Mangala Medical Mission hospital.
- Yoga and Meditation Centre,Varkala. t: +91 9745073591 ( Tulasivanam,
North Kurakkanni Junction, Punnamoodu Road, Varkala 695141 Kerala )
- Mother Ayurvedic Medicines (MAM),Cliff,Varkala. t:+91 9446592002(Mother Ayurvedic Medicines,North Cliff, Varkala, 695141 Trivandrum,Kerala,India)
- New Dental Clinic and Orthodontic Centre, Puthenchantha , Varkala. Mobile no +919995888265
- Edava and Kappil - next villages north of Varkala, scenic walk towards north on a path made by Kerala Tourime along the seashore and cliffs; about an 20 min. to Edava, and 25 min. to Kappil .
- Kollam - about an hour north by taxi, an easy half-day trip to take a boat ride on the backwaters.
- Kottayam - about two hours by frequent train, with backwaters and Kumarakom bird sanctuary.
- Alleppey - houseboats,backwaters,snake boat races, and more via a two hour train ride
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!