Valparai is a hill station located in the Coimbatore District of Tamil Nadu. It is 104 km from Coimbatore and 64 km from Pollachi, 110kms from Ernakulam (Cochin) via Atirapally, Vazhachal, Malakkarapa.
The pollution free heavenly land. Valparai is located 3,500 feet above sea level on the Anamalai mountain range. Valparai is not just a small town. It stands majestically with Green Spread Mountains and forest all around. Valparai shares it's boundaries with Anamalai Tiger Reserve, Parambikulam Tiger Reserve, Eravikulam National Park and Vazhachal forest division. People are approachable and very friendly. This is a one of the places that you shouldn't miss in your life.
The unique grass forests, Grass Hills, is also located near Valparai. The hill sports tall grass and houses elephants, boars, cheetah and other wild animals. In addition one can drive around the mountain tea estates enjoying the pleasant climate and forget the once dense forest that have paved the way for tea bushes.
64-km drive from Pollachi to Valparai is itself an exotic experience. En route is the Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary where lion-tailed macaque, the Nilgiri and the common langur, Malabar giant squirrel, elephant, gaur, spotted deer, sambar, barking deer and wild boar reside. From Valparai you can visit the Aliyar, Sholaiyar and Nirar dams. Tunnels bored into the mountains and canals to harness the water from Parambikulam, Aliyar, Nirar, Sholaiyar Dam, and several tourist spots.
Coimbatore airport is the nearest international airport to Valparai - approximately 124 km. International flights to Singapore and Sharjah are provided by Silk Air (A subsidary of Singapore Airlines) and Air Arabia respectively. Domestic airlines fly to Chennai, Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and other Indian cities.
Public buses are available every 30 minutes from Pollachi Bus Terminal. However, they will be overcrowded and may take more than 4 hours to cover the distance of about 64 km. Visitors arriving via Coimbatore must visit Pollachi and then catch a bus to Valparai bus from there.
From Chalakudi there is bus too valparai... first bus starts from chalakudi by 6 am... it will take near to 6 hour to reach valpari... 80 kms... beautiful route... going through thick forest...
Coimbatore Junction is the nearest railway station - approximately 105 km. Coimbatore has got train services to most Indian cities.
Every 30 minutes, there is a bus from Pollachi to Valparai. However, these buses will be fully packed and may take 4 hours to cover a distance of 64 km.
Taxis will be the viable option, especially if you are planning to get off now and then, take pictures and enjoy the scenery.
- Aaliyar Dam - Aliyar (ஆழியார் azhiyar) Dam is a reservoir located 27 KM away from pollachi on the foothills of Valparai, in the Anamalai range of the Western Ghats. The dam offers some ideal getaways including a park, an aquarium and a mini Theme-Park maintained by Tamilnadu Fisheries Corporation. It is an ideal picnic spot.
- Monkey Falls - Monkey Falls is located at the 29th KM junction on the Pollachi-Valparai road. An entry fee of INR 15 per head must be paid at the check post located along Aaliyar - Monkey Falls route. But in recent days, entry to Monkey falls has been closed. Check with locals (shops near Aaliyar dam) before planning to visit Monkey falls.
- Loam's View Point - A beautiful view point from where you can see Aliyar Dam, the surrounding mountains of western Ghats and the Pollachi town. This is situated in 9th hairpin bend towards Valparai from Pollachi.
- ""Tiger Valley"" - From here you can see Upper Aliyar reservoir.
- Balaji temple - Balaji temple is owned by the Peria Karamalai tea Industries. Situated in Karamalai. Very famous beautiful temple. Situated at a distance of 10kms from Valparai. You can reach temple either from Valparai town or take a detour from Hair pin bend 40. You have to park your vehicle much ahead of temple and walk uphill for 500 mts to reach temple.
- Chitti Vinayagar Temple - Chitti Vinayagar Temple is owned by Jayshree tea Industries, Sholayar. The temple is situated in a beautiful garden environment and It only of 5 km from Valparai town.
- Karamalai Annai Vellankanni Church - Lot of miracles happened by Vellankanni Matha. Fesitivel takes place every year during September 8th. New church was built in the year 2003. A place to enjoy spiritual peaceful environment. Many people visit this Church daily. Situated at a distance of 10kms from Valparai.
- Sholayar Dam - It is the second deepest dam of Asia. Situated at a distance of 20 Kms., from Valparai. An active tourist spot found always busy. A beautiful place to visit.
- Nirar dam - This dam is built for multipurpose project such as irrigation, Hydro electricity production. Dam is situated in a wonderful location covered by a dense forest. There is a waterfalls near by the dam which resembles the Cascade. Situated at a distance of 15kms from Valparai.
- Chinnakallar - Chinnakalar is a geographically important place. It is the second highest rain fall area in India. Always found wet and misty. A greenish dense forest with tall majestic trees all along the road to Chinnakalar a pleasure to enjoy. There is a falls in Chinnakallar which sounds like a roaring lion. Situated at a distance of 15kms from Valparai.
- Nallamudi Poonjolai -A beautiful view point located near the Sangiliroad in Valparai. One must walk for about 1 km inside the tea estate to reach this view point.
- Number Parai - This is also a beautiful view point. Near by Sangiliroad near Valparai.
- Grass Hills - Its a part of Indra Gandhi wildlife sanctuary & national park. It is surrounded by a green grass environment. Its a beautiful site of high green grasses on a mountain slope, which is a protected area. Visitors has to obtain permission from the wildlife warden to enter the Grass Hills. Situated at a distance of 15 kms. from Valparai. Grass hills is a picturesque spot located in the Valparai hills range, at a height of approx: 2400m msl, with cool climate getting cooler at night, a part of Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary. Right now all efforts are being undertaken by the government to preserve the flora and fauna of this location. Nilgiri Thar is native of this place apart from Elephants, Bison, Indian Gaur, Bear, Nilgiri Langurs etc.. and a wide variety of birds including Hornbills.
- Kadamparai Dam - This is a beautiful place to visit. Prior permission from the forest department is necessary to visit this place.
- Athirapally Falls - It is near to the entrance of the Sholayar range is a place of great scenic beauty. Here, the water plunges from a height of nearly 80 feet before joining the Chalakudi river. This picturesque spot is adjacent to dense green forest, and is a part of Chalakudi River, 50 Km from Valparai towards Chalakudi, Kerala.
- Wildlife & Nature Photography
- Visit to Tea Estates
The weather of the hill station is conducive to having a hot tea and it’s definitely worth drinking tea in any small/medium tea stall for the taste is very good. There are a lot of tea estates in Valparai, and people sell tea packs for wholesale. For something more substantial, Green Hills Restaurant and Plaza Restaurant serve good vegetarian and non vegetarian foods during the breakfast, lunch and dinner times. If you plan for long trip to Valparai and you have the means to hire your own personal cook, that will work out well for you, as you can get anything from the market there. And for the strict vegetarians it’s not so easy to manage as you can hardly find vegetarian restaurants. There is a small mess for vegetarians named “Sabari Mess” which is located on the market road which offers delicious vegetarian food at reasonable rates. Apart from them there are lots of good bakeries with fresh eatables, biscuits, breads and other bakery products.
As most of the land in Valparai belongs to tea estates, there are only limited options for staying in Valparai. There are a few decent hotels, estate bungalows and cottages.
- *'''Jobys Holiday Home''', Joby Complex, Main road (valparai), ☎ 9442242338, . *<sleep name=* Treat Hotel, Restaurant attached. contact 9443322981 04253222381. Room rates vary from 690 - 2000 rupees. 600-2000.
- *. *Valparai, Raja complex (main road, opp Govt. high school), ☎ 04253 222351, . Mordern homestay cottages in the heart of Valparai. 1200. 1200.
- Misty Creek Homestay, 8/410, Cooperative Colony (Opp. Marthoma Church), ☎ 9488876568, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 noon. As its name implies, Misty Creek Homestay is an idyllic, pleasing and picturesque spot of natural beauty, with great views from every room. The homestay is far enough to shut out the hustle and bustle of Valparai town and close enough to reach it in 5 minutes by vehicle.
- Hornbill Castle - Bed and Breakfast, Pollachi Road, (Just 1km outer from Town)) (Near Puthuthottam Estate), ☎ 9443758472, . checkin: 10am; checkout: 10am. This bed & breakfast has high standards of food, comfort and service and offers ensuite double and twin bedrooms. All rooms are clean and furnished with furniture, color television and well stocked hospitality trays. Three of the ensuite rooms are on the ground floor.
- Green Hill Hotel (P) Ltd., Valparai, ☎ +91 04253 222262. 2-star hotel with 42 rooms. restaurant & bar attached. Room rates vary from 700 - 2500 rupees.
- Treat Hotel, ☎ 9443322981 04253222381. Restaurant attached. Room rates vary from 690 - 2000 rupees.
- Holiday Home;Bed&BreaKfast;, , Valparai, ☎ 9487094548, . checkin: 12pm; checkout: 12pm. 750-999-1200-RUPEES;;.
- silver heights home stay, 8-313, Opp forest range office, Thulasinga Nagar, Valparai, ☎ 04253-222233, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 noon. A very nice home stay with good home food. Mr Thomas is very helpful and runs a travel company with 3 car and 2 bus. room rate-rs 2000.
- Police: 100
- Ambulance/Fire: 108
Note Mobile Users
Vodafone, Aircel, Tata Docomo, Bsnl are the mobile networks which cover this region..rest simply don't work...
NEPC TEA BUNGALOWS-KAVARAKAL,VALPARAI ,COIMBATORE
CONT-NAME& NAMBER-SUNIL + 8903214160 E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org