Vallon Pont d'Arc  is a town and commune in the Ardèche département, in south of France.
Canoe is the best way to truly enjoy the beauty of the river. There are a lot of spots along the river where you can stop to enjoy the view or to swim. However, as this is a nature reservation area, there are only 2 sites designated for camping: "Gaud" or "Gournier", both can be reached by canoe.
- Pont d'Arc, a limestone natural bridge carved out by the river Ardèche.
- Canoe-ing along the Ardèche river, beginning at Vallon Pont d'Arc and finishing at Saint Martin d'Ardèche. There are several distance range to be chosen (6, 24, 30 km, or even more). The longer range can be done in 1 or 2 days with a stop for camping in the middle.
- 1-day canoeing: Start between 8 and 10PM and finish at around 5PM (24 or 30 km)
- 2-day canoeing: Start between 9AM and 2PM. Camping is only allowed within the 2 designated sites, Gaud or Gournier.
- If you come by car, you can park at the canoe operator at Saint Martin d'Ardèche, and from there you will be brought by bus to the starting point. Plastic barrels are provided to keep your things dry during the trip. Bring enough water and food to last at least 7 hours. Protect yourself as well as possible from the sun burn (i.e. use sun protection cream and re-apply often, wear sunglasses and hat).
- Domaine de l'Astic , Tel./Fax +33-4-75881088. . From €37/person (incl. breakfast). With swimming pool.
- Gaud or Gournier, along the river Ardeche. Tel. +33-4-75880041. Reservation required.
Stay Safe & Healthy
- Avoid sun damage to your body. It is highly recommended to protect yourself as much as possible from sunburn by applying high SPF suncream as well as wearing sunglasses and hat.
- Drink plenty of water on a hot day.
For water activity
- Check the weather and water level before beginning any water activity.
- Wear suitable clothes that you won't easily lose when falling into water (i.e. sandals with strap, protective strap for sunglasses).
- Wear the life jacket all the time.
- In case of emergency, contact the campsite: +33-4-75880041.
Some areas are categorized as nature reservation, so
- Don't drop litter -- you should always take it with you.
- Don't disturb the animals, plants, mineral and archeological findings.