Vaikom is a town in Kerala in India.
38 min from Cochin.However during peak hours (8am-10am / 3pm-6pm) it may take an hour to reach Vaikom town from Cochin.
Buses and taxis are easily available at all times of the day from Kottayam and Cochin.
Vaikom Road via Kottayam (15 km).
Via Cochin International Airport (60 km).
Vaikom has an excellent local bus service system and it is cheap.
This is cheap way of transportation between attractions.
Local taxis are also available at cheap rates. There are many car rental companies offering cars with drivers or self drive. Rates are around Rs 7 per km but there are all sorts of extras.
When you are visiting places like Kumarakom, it is better to opt for boats, as many places in Kuttanad are inaccessible by road.
There are also good ferry services between places that are widely used by the locals, a cheap and scenic way of getting around.
Many attractions are near by one another so you could walk between them.
- Vaikom Mahadeva Temple. Famous for Prathal (mid day food offering by individual to others/anybody) and also Annathanam (served by the temple). Having this full fledged meal is very sacred too.
- St.Joseph Forane Church. A centuries old Roman Syrian Catholic Church with ancient and rare interior architecture situated near the Vembanad Lake shore
- Lake Beach.
- Murinjupuzha Kerala Gramam.
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary.
Another fun thing to do in Vaikom is to wander through Mahadeva Temple, the central area of the town. By the year end, the yearly Vaikom Temple Festival, Vaikothashtamy, there are a large crowd and the roads are flooded with people.
- Udayanapuram, Thottuchira Tourist Land (Vikom - Ernakulam Road (3 Kms)), ☎ 9447291601, . Village backwater cruise, Visit different villages and village activities, ayurvedic treatment centre, Home stay with traditional Kerala food, night fishing etc.
It is worth checking out the local gold and silver stores there. The silver anklets with bells are very pretty and cheap. There are also road side spice shops.
Karikku / ilaneer (tender coconut).
Sambhaaram (buttermilk), especially on hot summer days.
Fresh toddy from the coconut tree, especially around the Kumarakom area. Take caution as adulteration of the brew is very common. Your best bet would be to get it from a local who has given over his coconut trees for extraction
So many toddy parlours in Vaikom with excellent naadan food.
The KTDC Resturant near Boat Jetty Offer excellent Beer and Food, and it is nicely located near the shore of Vembanad Lake
- Vaikothappan Tourist Home
- Kailas Lodge
- Nalukettu Homestay, Thottuchira, Near Nanadam market, Opp. Athurasramam English Medium School (Vaikom - Ernakulam Road), ☎ 9447291601, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 noon. A traditional wooden Nalukettu style Home stay with tiled roofing, which facilitates with well furnished air conditioned room, wifi, hot water, Library, traditional Kerala food, boating facility, ayurvedic treatment and rejuvenation facility, night fishing in the canal(4-5 feet depth). 3500.
- Whitegate Residency, (Vaikom City centre), ☎ 04829216961/65, . The one n' only business hotel in Vaikom . Multi-cuisine restaurant,State of the art conference halls,Lounge Bar,Multy specialty gym,Air-conditioned Conference Halls, etc.
- Alappuzha — famous for House Boats, is 30 km away.
- Munnar — a hill resort in Idukki District, is 130 km east. And on the way to Munnar are
- Kallil Temple — an old Jain temple but now a Hindu temple is 53 km from Perumbavoor.
- Kodanadu — elephant training centre.
- Thattekkad — bird sanctuary near Bhoothathankettu.
- Idukki District — a hilly region with lots of hill resorts, on the way to Idukki are Thommankutthu waterfalls in Idukki District via Muvattupuzha.
- Athirappilly Waterfalls — near Chalakudy, Thrissur
- Lakshadweep — is 5 day (seasonal) cruise from the Cochin port.
- Cherai Beach — some 25 km away from Cochin city near North Paravur and its beautiful with a nice beach and local cousine.