Vagator is a village in North Goa, India.
Adjoining the famous Anjuna beach, Vagator is a little more laid back, though still pretty much steeped in the rave culture. The tourist traffic is predominantly Western backpackers, however it has also become popular with Indian tourists, who particularly come to watch the sunset from the rocks.
Vagator is located approximately a one hour drive from the Dabolim Airport. A prepaid taxi to Vagator will be about Rs. 1,250.
The nearest railway station is at Tivim. Other railway stations are at Margao and Vasco da Gama.
Scooters can be rented for Rs. 250 a day. Anywhere and everywhere you will find people trying to rent you their scooter. If you like a bike, a 350 CC Enfield would cost you Rs. 500 a day ( kick starting one of these can be an experience, learn how to do it from the owner if you want to rent one. The recoil from the kick can break your leg). This is the best way to see Goa, you can go where ever you want. And getting around is easy, locals are very helpful just pull over and ask someone.
In case of a taxi, going anyplace the taxi drivers will start quoting from Rs. 250 to 400. Have to bargain.
Vagator Beach has dramatic red cliffs looking down on the shore and two fresh water springs within a stone's throw of the sea. Vagator Beach is split into two main beaches by a seaside headland which holds the car park and lots of stalls selling trinkets, clothes, soft drinks and snacks. As you face the sea, on your right is Big Vagator Beach and on your left Ozran Beach, more commonly known as Little Vagator Beach.
Between Little Vagator and Big Vagator
Every Wednesday a flea market is held at Anjuna beach. This market is very popular among the tourists.
The Saturday night flea market in Arpora, organised by a German since early nineties, is by far the largest and most vibrant flea market in North Goa. There is also a sizeable performance area which promotes local talent.
Bargain on anything you buy at the street vendors and people on the beach (stuff on the streets, pay 50% of quoted price).
In Vagator, you can find a 24 hour restaurant/convenience store/chill out called Robert's place near Primrose. Since 2003, a flea market is organised here every Wednesday, though it is yet to make an impression like the ones in Anjuna or Arpora.
Mapusa is the nearest town for provisions and shopping. This is where the locals shop.
- Mezcal, Vagator (opposite Vagator Football Ground, on a road to Ozran Beach). 11AM-11PM. Mexican restaurant.
- Salt n Pepper Restaurant & Guest House, (a 10-minute walk from Ozran Beach), ☎ +91 832 2273596 (email@example.com), . A family-run restaurant.
- Scarlet's, Chapora. A well known place among travellers for fruit juices and fruit salad.
- Thalassa, Vagator (on top of the cliff overlooking Ozran Beach), . Wonderful, authentic Greek food. This open air restaurant has amazing views of Ozran Beach and the sunset. Thalassa is almost always full. In order to have a seaview table you have to book a table in advance.
- Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant, Vagator Beach Road (a 15-minute walk from Vagator Beach), ☎ +91 832 3294464/2274703. Popular place to be racially abused. They only want to serve whites from the western world. What a pity that Indians in Vagator, Goa face racial issues in their own country. Waiters here do not want to serve Indians or any other colored people. I would advice people to stay away from this place and shame on the staff and owner of this restaurant!! They are so backward.
Fuck this you disheartening price, my wolves will eat you? so u brought wolves? oh dear
Open air clubs
There are a number of places playing to a dance & trance crowd during the tourist season.
- Hilltop, Vagator (a little back from Ozran Beach). Hill Top has a party every Sunday evening in the tourist season.
- Primrose, Vagator (back towards Big Vagator beach). They play different types of trance and psychedelic music from different DJ's from around the world.
- Nine Bar, Vagator (between Big Vagator Beach and Ozran Beach, just above Ozran Beach). Nine Bar has a Goa trance party every night from 7PM to 10PM. Good music, cheap booze. People start here and then go to other places.
- Disco Valley. Outdoor parties, but now only at Christmas and Sylvester.
Vagator has little by way of seaside accommodation.
- Alcove Resort Goa, Vagator (Ozran Beach), ☎ +91 832 2274491 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +91 832 2250588), . checkin: 1PM; checkout: noon. A 3-star hotel offering different types of accommodation including rooms, suites, penthouses and independent cottages. With restaurant. Rs. 1,000-4,000.
- Casa Vagator, House No. 594/4, Vozran, Vagator.
- Cochichos Resort, 325 Ozran Beach Road, Vagator, ☎ +91 832 2274777 (email@example.com, fax: +91 832 2274748), . Small resort with spacious AC rooms. With swimming pool.
- Jolly Jolly Lester, House No. 511/5, Vagator (between Big Vagator Beach and the main crossroads), ☎ +91 832 2273620 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Budget hotel with six double bedded rooms, one air conditioned double bedroom, one family-cum-seminar room and three twin-bedded rooms, with attached bathrooms. Their restaurant has good Western, vegetarian food, and salads. Rooms from Rs. 400.
- Goan Clove, Vagator Beach Road, Plot No 372/1-A, Vagator (near Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant), ☎ +91 9821042700 (email@example.com), . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 10AM. Self contained appartments. With pool. Rs. 1,500-8,000.
- Leoney Resort, Ozran Beach Road, Vagator, . Rooms, cottages and suites. With pool. Rs. 1,500-5,000.
- Omega Beach Resort, Vagator Beach Road, Plot No 372/1-A, Vagator (near Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant), ☎ +91 9820044959 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 10AM. Self contained appartments. With pool. Rs. 1,000-1,500.
- Ozran Heights Beach Resort, (on top of the cliff overlooking Ozran Beach), . Resort with 8 spacious cottages. With superb view over Ozran Beach and the sunset. Rs. 3,500-8,000.
- Asterix Hostel, Vagator Beach Road (Near Mango Tree Bar and Restaurant), (email@example.com), . checkin: 230pm; checkout: Noon. This travellers' hostel has dorms and private rooms and is walking distance from Vagator beach. The hostel offers free breakfast and WiFi. There is also a common area and a well-equipped kitchen for guests to use. Rs. 400.
If you like the tranquil, 30km north of Vagator is the beautiful pristine beach of Arambol.
Close to Vagator and Chapora is the Petrol Station, where you want to monitor what's happening if you don't want to be scammed.