Hello! Welcome to Wikitravel. Thanks for plunging forward so far. If you're going to continue working on Wikitravel, you may find the tips for new contributors helpful.
You should also make sure you understand our copyleft and policies and guidelines. Scanning the Manual of style, especially the article templates, can give you a good idea of how we like articles formatted.
If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, and if you need some info not on there, post a message in the travellers' pub or on the talk page for the most appropriate article. --Evan 11:03, 5 Jan 2006 (EST)
You asked on my talk page:
- I've just uploaded two images: 'Swansea Bay and University' and 'Mumbles Head and Swansea Bay'. They both need to go onto the Swansea article. The former on top, near 'Understand' and the latter next to the 'See' section. I cannot find how to move the images to the page. May I request your help? Thanks a lot. Windhorse 12 Jan 06
- My reply
- The images appear to have been scanned using the full platten of the scanner, not cropped to just the scan of the photograph.
- When you put the images on the page they need to have the .jpg on the end.
- The Wikitravel:Image policy suggests images be about 50 kb in size, so they download quicker.
- PS Sign your posts with ~~~~ and you do not need to type your signature all the time. -- Huttite 01:42, 12 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Ok, so I downloaded your images and had a look at them in Photostudio. I can crop them down to the image, but the scans are dirty. Either the photos have dust on them or your scanner does. Your photographs need to have their images dusted. The scanner glass probably also needs a good clean with a soft lint free lens - cleaning cloth. When you scan again you should probably half the scanning resolution from 96 dpi to 48 dpi, and set the scanner software to only scan the photograph, not the whole scan plate. Meanwhile I will try and upload the cropped images. -- Huttite 02:29, 12 Jan 2006 (EST)
- For some reason my uploads did not work. You may need to rescan your images and upload the new versions. They should be made smaller, by reducing the resolution and cropping the image to just the picture. Prefreably image files should be around 50kb not the 500kb they currently are. -- Huttite 03:16, 12 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Some success at last - look at Image:SwanseaBayAndMumbles.jpg and Image:SwanseaBayAndUniversity.jpg. I have put these into Swansea. I still suggest you re-scan the original images to make them smaller. -- Huttite 03:48, 12 Jan 2006 (EST)
Ok cheers for showing me that. I've added my comments to the talk page of Manchester that you asked me to look at. Hope I helped some way :) BarrY 06:41, 12 Jan 2006 (EST)
Kokkare Bellur / Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Hi Anurag. The articles that you are starting for bird watching sites in Karnataka look great, but if you could also include information about places to stay, eat or drink it would make the articles much more useable. Even if there are no such facilities, then it might be good to say so, then visitors can make prior arrangements - just a suggestion WindHorse
- Sure I will add them -anurag 08:04, 13 Jan 2006 (EST)