Hello! Welcome to Wikitravel. To help get you started contributing, we've created a quick contribution guide and tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub. -- IBAlex (talk) 20:31, 18 March 2014 (EDT)
Thank you for all your contributions to Liège (province) article! Excellent job! We would love to see more contributions from you! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 20:31, 18 March 2014 (EDT)
Thanks for the reaction! I will certainly continue contributing to to Wikitravel, focusing on articles about Belgium and the Netherlands. As I am new to this site, I do have a number of questions:
- How can I link to external websites of the attractions (museums etc) listed in the articles? I used the link button, but I didn't find a place to paste the url.
- How can I link to other Wikitravel articles?
- I have a large number of photos I would like to use to illustrate the articles, but as I have taken a considerable effort to make them all, I would like to watermark them with my name/website? I don't mind people reusing them, as long as it remains obvious where they came from. Is this permitted on Wikitravel?
kind regards, —The preceding comment was added by Ruben Alexander (talk • contribs)
- So great to hear that you will be contributing in the future! Thank you! I'm happy to answer all your questions:
- Linking to WT articles- For that please use 2 square brackets around the title of the page. Example, you want to link to Paris. Please use [[Paris]] which will render Paris.
- Pictures- great to hear that you would like to share your pictures with us! unfortunately, water marks are not allowed on Wikitravel, however please know that pictures here have the attribution section. Please have a look at this picture. You will see that we attribute the author of the photo and we provide link to the original source (ex. your website). Everybody who clicks on the picture will see who is the image creator. Would that be ok with you to upload your pictures?
- Hint- every time you leave a comment on the Talk pages, please use~~~~ to sign you posts. This will help organize the conversations.
- If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know. Looking forward to seeing you here often! Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 14:28, 19 March 2014 (EDT)
Thanks for the info, I will probably still upload pictures, but just not the very best ones. greetings, Ruben Alexander (talk) 07:47, 14 April 2014 (EDT)
- That's a pity, Ruben!
- I'd just like to give you a warning that I need to change from your absolute sizing using a fixed pixel width (which forces what will seem a huge size to readers with small screens or expensive/slow connections and, paradoxically, a tiny fixed size on readers with super-fast and/or large monitors) to relative sizing which honours readers' preferences.
- You can read more about this at http://wikitravel.org/shared/Image_policy#Minimal_use_of_images and you may also like to contribute your opinion at Travellers' Pub#Default image size... --Ttcf (talk) 18:36, 17 April 2014 (EDT)
We upload pictures to Wikitravel Shared, which is the central coordination point and shared repository for images and other media for all language versions of Wikitravel. Please use this page to upload pictures. You would be asked to create a separate account for Wikitravel Shared. After you upload a picture, please add this picture to Wikitravel article. If you have any questions, let me know. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 16:35, 11 April 2014 (EDT)
Ruben Alexander (talk) 07:44, 14 April 2014 (EDT) Thanks for the info! Kind regards, Ruben Alexander (talk) 07:44, 14 April 2014 (EDT)
- Sure! If you have any problems, just let me know. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 15:31, 14 April 2014 (EDT)
- I just saw all the pictures you uploaded and they are beautiful! This one is my absolute favorite! Thank you very much for all of them! It would be great to see them now in the articles. Do you know how to add them? (instructions above) Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 14:56, 15 April 2014 (EDT)
Thanks Alexandra! I actually already included them in the articles (on Liège (province), Namur (province), Hainaut, Condroz, Land of Herve, Ardennes (Belgium), Herve and Visé), though I now see that the files don't always link back to the pages. Is there a way that this can be automated? greetings,Ruben Alexander (talk) 08:49, 16 April 2014 (EDT)
- Great! Yes, I saw the articles! They look great! Could you please explain in more details the issue with the files. I'm not sure if I fully understand you and I would love to help here. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 14:08, 16 April 2014 (EDT)
Don't worry, I misunderstood something. GreetingsRuben Alexander (talk) 15:40, 17 April 2014 (EDT)
I noticed that you asked earlier how to use Talk Pages. Here is a page that can help you with that. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 16:36, 11 April 2014 (EDT)