Usurpation of account name "Alice"
I am sorry for this edit and causing you extra work to revert it:
I did not know it was not allowed - there is a lot to learn!
If the re-direct is not allowed, then please may I usurp the User account name of "Alice"?
This inactive user account name of "Alice" has never made a single contribution (since it was created at 19:14hrs, 3 September 2011):
whereas I wish to actively contribute and get my edits properly attributed.
Alice (from Singapore). --Singapore.Alice 14:01, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Alice, we're very excited that you will be contributing to Wikitravel! Welcome aboard! Unfortunately, we cannot grant users access to names already registered by others. Even though a user may not be editing using their account, they may still be viewing content with it (there are many good reasons to register at Wikitravel rather than anonymously browsing). Besides, I think your chosen name is great! Let me know with any other questions or concerns,--IBobi talk email 14:46, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- Thank you for your very fast and friendly response.
- Are you suggesting that people logon just to read Wikitravel and without ever interacting in any other way?
- What would be the advantage to a user in logging on just to read?
- Are you also saying that, apart from logging a log-in, you also record the pages logged on readers read?
- Is that unusual practice mentioned in your privacy statement? --Singapore.Alice 15:02, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- People do log in just to read WT. Logging in allows you to set preferences affecting your user experience.--IBobi talk email 16:17, 26 September 2012 (EDT)
- Ah, you're right. I can now see in my preferences that I can check "Do not show ad column"
- Since the email facility is disabled here, would you email User:Alice and ask if she would be prepared to relinquish her account to me, an editor?
- Would you answer me please? --Singapore.Alice✉ 19:07, 1 October 2012 (EDT)
- You may feel free to leave Alice a message on her Talk page.--IBobi talk email 19:30, 1 October 2012 (EDT)
Clarification of current policies
You may recall that after I was nominated by yourself as an administrator here, I made some "Clarifications:". My second clarification was:
"2) Until the last couple of months or so, I thought I had a reasonable understanding of Wikitravel policies - not least because many of them had been patiently established and developed (largely by community discussion and consensus) over the more than 6 years that I have been editing here on Wikitravel!
Now, I do not think anyone is 100% clear as to what policies exactly currently take priority. If I am approved, I will encourage the site owners to clarify and crystallise what community policies have been suspended (and for what period), which have been dropped entirely, and what (if any) is the procedure that the site owners wish for discussing policy amendment or restoration."
Due to medical reasons, I may have more time in the future to update our articles.
I intend to begin with New Zealand of which I have many happy memories of holidays spent there.
Could you clarify whether it is still in order to link to the official tourist website of a particular country, please?
I assume it is, but please just revert me without prejudice if I am mistaken. --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:04, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi W Frank! As far as I'm aware, a link to an official (read: not commercial) tourism board site is ok. Glad you'll have time to work here, you are most welcome.--IBobi talk email 14:25, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
- Please call me "Frank", Sir. It's my Rufname in my native Germany.
- Thanks for your quick response, Sir, on this specific point and I look forward to clarification and crystallisation of what community policies have been suspended (and for what period), which have been dropped entirely, and what (if any) is the procedure that the site owners wish for discussing policy amendment or restoration when time allows.
- I have started on New Zealand today and hope to continue with its daughters when I have time. --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:05, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
I know you IBadmins are very busy right now, but may I draw your attention to this page (if it's not already on your watchlist). I have already drawn the attention of the blocking admin, IBcash, but I believe you will be able to examine and compare the IP's from which User:Himera has previously posted.
For what it's worth, my personal recommendation would be to at least unblock User:Himera from editing User_Talk:Himera until the current issues are unequivocally resolved. --W. Franke-mailtalk 10:41, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
Reserved user names
If it is technically possible and for the sake of clarity (and the prevention of impersonation), I would propose that the creation of new user accounts beginning "IB" be restricted to Bureaucrats. --W. Franke-mailtalk 11:08, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- Good idea if possible -- I'm not sure. Have you noticed anyone trying to create such names/impersonate admins?--IBobi talk email 13:20, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- No, but I suspect it's only a matter of time (now I've given the game away), so I would suggest you move quickly. --W. Franke-mailtalk 13:49, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- You're a subtle troll, W. Frank. IBunny 23:54, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
Sitenotice on zh:
Hi IBobi, could you change the sitenotice on zh:? It's really out of date. You can just change it to 歡迎來到維客旅行! which means Welcome to Wikitravel! Thanks! –sumone10154(talk) 20:39, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hey there -- we're going to be changing to notices next week to something more timely/announcey! We'll have a good one up for ZH then too ;) --IBobi talk email 19:25, 5 October 2012 (EDT)
- Ok, how are you going to translate the notices? Please don't use a machine translation like you did for your userpages; they tend to do a very poor job, and those translations are sometimes barely understandable (especially for zh:). –sumone10154(talk) 21:57, 5 October 2012 (EDT)
- We'll go through a Chinese admin.--IBobi talk email 05:32, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- There are currently no active admins on zh: (or on most language versions). –sumone10154(talk) 14:29, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- By the way, I can help with translation for fr: if you'd like (I would help for zh: too, but I don't speak Chinese very well). –sumone10154(talk) 14:33, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- Excellent! I'll let you know when we have it. As for ZH, that is about to change, much for the better ;) --IBobi talk email 14:38, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- So one week has passed already, and you have not changed the sitenotices. Could you just remove the one on zh: for now? You could replace it with the message I posted here (歡迎來到維客旅行!), or just replace it with a dash symbol - to blank it like the one on the French sitenotice; it doesn't matter, as long as you change it so it's not 3 years out of date. Thanks. –sumone10154(talk) 14:44, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- We're still working on one. Really, we'll try to have it updated this week on several languages including ZH :) --IBobi talk email 15:12, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
Sitenotice on ja: again
Hi. It has past almost one and half month since I posted this request and it has not yet progressed at all.
If you are unable to do it, bring us back the right to edit the sitenotice, please. It is quite as easy as pie for us ja: admins.--Shoestring 07:38, 14 October 2012 (EDT)
- See above -- we'll have it done soon I promise -- it's a multi-language effort now, not just ja and ZH :) --IBobi talk email 15:13, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Shoestring -- would you be willing to translate a short sitenotice for us, which we will put up on JA? Basically it is a call for more contributions, and for active users to potentially be admins. I know you have a great deal of experience on JA, and the language version is in excellent shape thanks to you and the other active members there, so we want to be sure you have whatevwer support you need. IBAlex will be in touch with you soon. Thank you,--IBobi talk email 19:43, 18 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi. Well, I am a bit busy these days, and I did not check this page, actually.
- If you finish making the short message you mentioned above, or other messages which you want to notice for ja: users, post them on my ja: talk page, please. I think I can translate them into Japanese and leave them on the ja: traveler's pub, if necessary.--Shoestring 08:21, 25 October 2012 (EDT)
- The Sitenotice was changed today. Please have a look. Is it fine right now? Cheers! IBAlex 20:21, 28 November 2012 (EST)
"undoing vandalism"; adding multiple links to bestdest.info
There's a new Spammers trick.
One "Blackhat" vandalizes multiple pages - then the "Whitehat" comes riding to the rescue by claiming to "revert vandalism".
However the "Whitehat" does more than just a simple "undo",
he adds, in contravention of our external links policy, a series of artfully tailored links to "www.bestdest.info Travel Guide" and "www.bgdestination.info Travel Guide"
3 days ago I thanked Dajamer for his "very prompt action in restoring almost the same version of multiple pages after they were recently vandalised (but pointing out that "I wrote "almost" restored because in each of the many cases that I have examined - and although your helpful edit summary was invariably along the lines of: "Undo revision 1940994 by Trynew" - you actually did more than just a simple "undo", You added, in contravention of our external links policy, a series of artfully tailored links to "www.bestdest.info Travel Guide" and "www.bgdestination.info Travel Guide"" and I specifically asked Dajamer
"Please would you now agree to stop this ?"
So far, I have had no response from Dajamer. (Dajamer has, however, subsequently made 2 legitimate edits). --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:24, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- Good eye! I'd keep an eye out in case they're just trying to get in our good graces. If it continues, blocking would be in order.--IBobi talk email 14:46, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
User seems to join WT recently. I'm wondering why he granted admin-ship so fastly even without any nomination? 18.104.22.168 13:53, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- Is this a mistake?
- ( http://wikitravel.org/fi/K%C3%A4ytt%C3%A4j%C3%A4:OVK ) --W. Franke-mailtalk 17:03, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- This is a user native in FI and SV, who is patrolling on EN before helping with the administration of those sites. He is a trusted user on other sites. Please extend a welcome -- as you know, we can use the help.--IBobi talk email 17:37, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- What is his user name on those other sites, please? --W. Franke-mailtalk 17:43, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
Stemma da cancellare
Ciao, ti dovrei gentilmente chiedere un piacere. Potresti per favore cancellare lo stemma che tempo fa avevo inserito (dato che non c'è la licenza)? L'immagine è questa http://wikitravel.org/it/File:ProvinciaMonza-Stemma.gif Grazie mille. --Simonemb talk 23:11, 19 October 2012 (CEST)
- (I think he is asking you to remove the unlicensed image file he uploaded and references with the URL) --W. Franke-mailtalk 17:56, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- W.Frank Yes, you're understand :-) ... Please can you delete for me the coat of arms, of that url, that I had uploaded? Because there isn't a license. Thank you very much. I'm sorry! --Simonemb talk 01:24, 20 October 2012 (CEST)
- Finito.--IBobi talk email 19:24, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- Ok grazie mille! --Simonemb talk 11:47, 20 October 2012 (CEST)
I have asked all my Indonesian friends and they have never heard of such a place.
Is this a joke? --22.214.171.124 06:37, 22 October 2012 (EDT) --SingaporeAlice✉ 06:40, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
I have been trying to remove the second duplicated section of "Other airports" in our Philippines article but keep getting the error message: "This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Pridurok3"
I accidentally duplicated this section myself and now I can not correct it since there are no admins that work duing an american weekend.
Please promote some people in different timezones. --SingaporeAlice✉ 06:11, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
- Now I can't delete all the spam links on this spammer's page: User:64vx00125os.
- I get this error message: "This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: New users should not blank pages". Don't you want me to help fight spam? --SingaporeAlice✉ 07:01, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
- We're adding more admins but it is a slow process to build community; we want to be sure everyone is capable and trustworthy to handle such responsibilities.
- Meanwhile, I have deleted the user page you alerted us to, and it appears you have taken care of the airports section.--IBobi talk email 13:22, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
Confusing section title: Get out
Not surprisingly when we have a section title called Get in to describe how to travel to a destination, a lot of genuinely ignorant people (yourself included) often (wrongly) assume that they should add information on how to leave a travel article destination to our (currently confusingly named) Get out sections. (Confusingly, this section is actually intended to be where suggestions for where travellers should go next are made.)
This causes a HUGE amount of unnecessary work for the few people currently copy-editing Wikitravel articles in correcting the (entirely natural and avoidable) mistakes of casual and well-intentioned editors.
For this reason alone, your response to this question:
is long overdue, Sir. --W. Franke-mailtalk 21:43, 30 October 2012 (EDT)
- Please would you favour me with an answer to this question above? --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:45, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- See discussion page regarding using "Nearby". We'll change as soon as we can. Has a lot of support from current WTers.--IBobi talk email 15:49, 6 November 2012 (EST)
Unfortunately this article does not provide a solution to our problems with robotic spam but you may, nevertheless, be interested to read it. --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:45, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- Yeah, Captcha stinks. Recaptcha is worse, because it's genuinely hard to read. The good news is, Wikitravel is pretty much spam-free, thanks to the efforts of all concerned.--IBobi talk email 15:50, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- Spam free?!?
- You're deluding yourself. Just because I've stopped editing until you make a decision about appointing more (new?) janitors, doesn't mean I've stopped reading recent changes every 8 hours. --W. Franke-mailtalk 16:36, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- There is certainly spam that gets posted. There's no way to stop that and keep the site open for all to edit. But every bit of it is being deleted, and all the spammers and IP addresses are being blocked. Filters do some of the work. But for the most part we just have very very good human response here at Wikitravel.--IBobi talk email 17:20, 6 November 2012 (EST)
i have seen that you unprotected Mordor and that you removed the merge tag. It is one of our funniest fools day articles and i would like to keep it in the original sense. It's some insider humour within and i always laugh when i pass by. Please take no offense, when i protect and revert your last edit. Thanks in advance, Jc8136 05:29, 9 November 2012 (EST)
What the heck?
Why did you protect my userpage and remove my administrator access? This is completely contrary to community policy. LtPowers 08:20, 4 December 2012 (EST)
- We'll definitely look into that for you. We take violations of policy seriously here at the #1 travel wiki in the world, and if one of our admins has done something against policy we'll make sure it is brought to their attention. And if they deny it and it's obvious that they did in fact do it, we'll take action against them. This community does not attempt to sweep such investigations under the rug, or justify bad behavior on a technicality, or compromise our integrity through a mob mentality. I will personally get back to you! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, --IBobi 16:29, 4 December 2012 (EST)
- Actually, Paul, it was you. So drop the sarcasm and trying leveling with me for a change. Even if you can justify removing my administrator access, how do you justify locking down my user page (which, I must point out, still states that I'm an administrator)? LtPowers 13:23, 5 December 2012 (EST)