User talk:Evan/Oct 2004
See also: User talk:Evan/Archives
Caps In Titles
Evan: I guess you are referring to my change of 'Caribbean islands' to 'Caribbean Islands'; I cannot bring to mind any other capitalization changes I've made recently.
I saw 'Caribbean Islands' as a placename in its own right; not like the example 'New York restaurants' in the mos where 'New York' is the placename and 'restaurants' a topic qualifier. Certainly the article was already written with that sense, and internally capitalized.
But I do see that you could also argue that 'Caribbean' is the placename, and the article is about islands that happen to be in the Caribbean, in which case the 'New York restaurants' precedent certainly holds.
Umm. No sure any more. -- Chris j wood 10:33, 6 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Yeah. I'm having a hard time coming up with "Caribbean Islands" as a proper name in dictionaries or the Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names. I think it's more like "Islands of the Caribbean Sea", which the existing Caribbean islands was more like.
- If you're bent on having a proper name, maybe West Indies would be the right name? --Evan 10:48, 6 Aug 2004 (EDT)
Thanks for your welcome-message and the tips. Niemand 16:03, 11 Aug 2004 (EDT)
Image privacy rights
I am willing to serve as go-between for the Swedish Expedition. I guess this is the last step before opening up the Swedish version? We'll keep in touch... --Alers 06:46, 22 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- I have read the required pages about policies and the like. I also understand that as a go-between I have to report to the WikiTravel log about how the Swedish version is progressing, about once a month. The Swedish language file is also ready to go. --Alers 04:43, 29 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Is something still missing? I haven't heard from you in a while. --Alers 04:20, 10 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Thank you for setting up the Swedish version! I'll get right to it1 :) --Alers 08:15, 7 Oct 2004 (EDT)
Evan, I work on Maine and will try to add some content to wiki's Maine pages. On WikiTravel, just added all Maine towns and cities (from Maine.Gov compilation) and a reference to Maine Information (another free resource) which compiles chamber of commerce area descriptions, travel brochures, etc.User:Gckorn
Traveling 8/28 - 9/6
Evan (Dr. Evil, was it?), one day last week while strolling around the UNV Reno campus I saw a sign for burning man. When I got back to my folks' place in Lake Tahoe, I google-searched on BRC and look what I found.
How goes it? I can't believe you're still in Montreal. I keep telling Seema we need to go there.
It's been a long time since we last saw you. Short update:
- we moved to New York City a year ago
- we have two kids now (Matthew 4.0, Shan 1.5)
- I work at Madsion and 24th in a great limestone bulding across from Madison Square Park--a neat little Park in the flatiron. I can actually see the flatiron building out the window from the trading floor.
Is Maj the you ladyfriend I met for lunch that day in San Francisco?
Anyways, don't get scorched in the desert and let me know how Evangelo is doing.
I took quick peek at your site. I like concept. I thought of all the place I could write about--even Toledo, Ohio--if I had the motivation. After working for 8 years in a row now, I miss random trips to faraway places.
- Mike, you knucklehead! Leave me some contact information! I've got to get a wedding invitation to you. --Evan 15:34, 7 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Evan, my contact information is
email: firstname.lastname@example.org -- think this will work til death cell: 617 461 7629 home: 914 668 3439 work: 212 325 4314 address: 331 Hayward Ave #2, Mt. Vernon, NY, 10552
Thanks for the invite
Hey! Yeah, we're taking contract break a little closer to home, and besides as Allegra pointed out when are we going to have so much time off at the same time again? Pics: http://www.geekhive.net/mark/Photography/Noema
And, yes, we got the invite. We'd love to be there of course, but as you point out the logisitcs are a bit much. Thanks for inviting us though. -- Mark 14:12, 9 Sep 2004 (EDT)
Long tim no see
Hey Evan, how are you doing? It's been a while, I completely lost track of time and haven't made much in the way of contributions since I came back from Montreal. I should make the time soon to get back into it. Finally landed a job, with a company in Vancouver called Fortinet. I started the begining of August, and made the move into my new apartment last week. Feels good.
Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I hope all is well with you and Maj. --Dawnview 01:10, 10 Sep 2004 (EDT)
Memory problems again
Hey, sorry to bug you about this, but it looks like the memory limit has fallen back to the 16Mb level. Paris for instance is right at the limit, which I guess would be because of all of the district links. The other pages which were failing before the memory boost are failing again as well. Anyhow, do you think you can get it bumped back up? Thanks! -- Mark 07:59, 20 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- I don't know what those other pages are. I tried Russia and Denmark and the Wikitravel:Travellers' pub and they all seem OK. I'll try and determine if this was a quick glitch or a real problem. --Evan 11:50, 20 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- This is a broken version of Paris to check. To get it to work again I took out one sentence, (and one link): http://wikitravel.org/en/wiki/wiki.phtml?title=Paris&curid=1364&diff=35450&oldid=35449
Temporary Organisation Page in German?
Hey, contacting all members from Montréal (so many of them) to get them back to good resolutions and organise a meeting someday, when you're not so busy... --Valmi 23:23, 26 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Cool! We've got a standing meeting on http://wikitravel.meetup.com/, but we could also do one at another time. --Evan 00:56, 27 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Mondays suit me all right. I RSVPed, which isn't your case nor anybody else's. :-) --Valmi 15:41, 27 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- I'm getting married that weekend, so I think me and Maj are going to have to pass. Maybe in Nov? --Evan 23:29, 27 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Mmm. I guess I could understand that. Anytime, anyway. --Valmi 01:51, 28 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Search doesn't work
- Images in articles are broken
- Recent changes header formatting is screwy
Happy upgrading =) Jpatokal 05:11, 7 Oct 2004 (EDT)
- OK, I see search and the RC problem, but what's wrong with images? They look good on my user page and on the main page. Any others out there? --Evan 05:32, 7 Oct 2004 (EDT)
- Images look fine for me, but anyway, I don't care so much for this details right now. Just wanted to say "Thank you" for the great job you have done this night. As far as I have seen, that were some pretty hard hours of work during all the night. Time to go to bed, ... and have a look on the German Wikitravel when up again. -- Hansm 07:17, 2004 Oct 7 (EDT)
- Thanks to you! And the other great people who've been working so hard on German Wikitravel without even having a Wiki available! I think the German site looks great. --Evan 07:19, 7 Oct 2004 (EDT)
- Most images have now cleared up, but Off the beaten track in Japan is still barfing this at me:
Warning: imagejpeg(): Unable to open '/home/virtual/site30/fst/var/www/html/en/upload/thumb/0/04/180px-Kazurabashi_IyaValley2.JPG' for writing in /home/virtual/site30/fst/var/www/html/en/includes/Image.php on line 232
Warning: stat(): Stat failed for /home/virtual/site30/fst/var/www/html/en/upload/thumb/0/04/180px-Kazurabashi_IyaValley2.JPG (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/virtual/site30/fst/var/www/html/en/includes/Image.php on line 246
Warning: unlink(/home/virtual/site30/fst/var/www/html/en/upload/thumb/0/04/180px-Kazurabashi_IyaValley2.JPG): No such file or directory in /home/virtual/site30/fst/var/www/html/en/includes/Image.php on line 249