User talk:Evan/Oct 2004
See also: User talk:Evan/Archives
Caps In Titles
Evan: I guess you are referring to my change of 'Caribbean islands' to 'Caribbean Islands'; I cannot bring to mind any other capitalization changes I've made recently.
I saw 'Caribbean Islands' as a placename in its own right; not like the example 'New York restaurants' in the mos where 'New York' is the placename and 'restaurants' a topic qualifier. Certainly the article was already written with that sense, and internally capitalized.
But I do see that you could also argue that 'Caribbean' is the placename, and the article is about islands that happen to be in the Caribbean, in which case the 'New York restaurants' precedent certainly holds.
Umm. No sure any more. -- Chris j wood 10:33, 6 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Yeah. I'm having a hard time coming up with "Caribbean Islands" as a proper name in dictionaries or the Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names. I think it's more like "Islands of the Caribbean Sea", which the existing Caribbean islands was more like.
- If you're bent on having a proper name, maybe West Indies would be the right name? --Evan 10:48, 6 Aug 2004 (EDT)
Thanks for your welcome-message and the tips. Niemand 16:03, 11 Aug 2004 (EDT)
Image privacy rights
I am willing to serve as go-between for the Swedish Expedition. I guess this is the last step before opening up the Swedish version? We'll keep in touch... --Alers 06:46, 22 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- I have read the required pages about policies and the like. I also understand that as a go-between I have to report to the WikiTravel log about how the Swedish version is progressing, about once a month. The Swedish language file is also ready to go. --Alers 04:43, 29 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Is something still missing? I haven't heard from you in a while. --Alers 04:20, 10 Sep 2004 (EDT)
Evan, I work on Maine and will try to add some content to wiki's Maine pages. On WikiTravel, just added all Maine towns and cities (from Maine.Gov compilation) and a reference to Maine Information (another free resource) which compiles chamber of commerce area descriptions, travel brochures, etc.User:Gckorn
Traveling 8/28 - 9/6
Evan (Dr. Evil, was it?), one day last week while strolling around the UNV Reno campus I saw a sign for burning man. When I got back to my folks' place in Lake Tahoe, I google-searched on BRC and look what I found.
How goes it? I can't believe you're still in Montreal. I keep telling Seema we need to go there.
It's been a long time since we last saw you. Short update:
- we moved to New York City a year ago
- we have two kids now (Matthew 4.0, Shan 1.5)
- I work at Madsion and 24th in a great limestone bulding across from Madison Square Park--a neat little Park in the flatiron. I can actually see the flatiron building out the window from the trading floor.
Is Maj the you ladyfriend I met for lunch that day in San Francisco?
Anyways, don't get scorched in the desert and let me know how Evangelo is doing.
I took quick peek at your site. I like concept. I thought of all the place I could write about--even Toledo, Ohio--if I had the motivation. After working for 8 years in a row now, I miss random trips to faraway places.
- Mike, you knucklehead! Leave me some contact information! I've got to get a wedding invitation to you. --Evan 15:34, 7 Sep 2004 (EDT)
Thanks for the invite
Hey! Yeah, we're taking contract break a little closer to home, and besides as Allegra pointed out when are we going to have so much time off at the same time again? Pics: http://www.geekhive.net/mark/Photography/Noema
And, yes, we got the invite. We'd love to be there of course, but as you point out the logisitcs are a bit much. Thanks for inviting us though. -- Mark 14:12, 9 Sep 2004 (EDT)
Long tim no see
Hey Evan, how are you doing? It's been a while, I completely lost track of time and haven't made much in the way of contributions since I came back from Montreal. I should make the time soon to get back into it. Finally landed a job, with a company in Vancouver called Fortinet. I started the begining of August, and made the move into my new apartment last week. Feels good.
Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I hope all is well with you and Maj. --Dawnview 01:10, 10 Sep 2004 (EDT)