See also User talk:Evan/Archives
Hi Evan, anybody start the WikiTravel in portuguese? I would like to create one here. What you think?
Moved to Talk:New York (city) by Evan
check your e-mail,pls
Evan thanks for the comment, I made Template:Country Quickbar and usage at User:Bijee/India, let me know is ok to use it, (talk at Travellers' pub) -Bijee 20:04, 3 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Yeah, that's really not OK with me. I really hate templates. I'll get started on the Wikitravel:template policy soon. --Evan 21:48, 3 Nov 2004 (EST)
Swedish Wikipedia sysop status
Hey Evan, I will be more or less inactive overall as a wiki user during the winter (november - mars/april in Sweden), because of work. Thus, we would like you to appoint yet another sysop for the Swedish language version of Wikitravel (see Wikitravel:Begäran_om_administratörskap for votum). We have suggested Väsk as our second admin. --Alers 05:15, 8 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Done! --Evan 20:49, 8 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Thanks! --Alers 03:51, 9 Nov 2004 (EST)
Sysops on German Wikitravel
Evan, during the last two weeks, we have been growing by almost 50 new articles per week. We have about 100 edits per day. I'm looking for other contributors to become admins, since only one admin with sysop flag turned on is much too less. Please remember how many admins there had been on en: at a simular state of development and traffic. Imagine what would happen if there was a bot driven spam attac against de: and you or I are not reachable. And not at least, don't forget that I only have agreed to be temporary go-between. We definitely need two or three more sysops. Please let me know that we can count on your support. -- Hansm 15:27, 2004 Nov 9 (EST)
- So, I'm kind of trying to brainstorm to think what we can do to get this situation under control. First, let's try to encourage Wikitravellers on the other language versions who are familiar with our way of doing things and even glancingly conversant in German to sign up on de: and scan recent changes.
- Second, do you think there are any tasks that non-German speakers could try to take on (for example, welcoming new users, or adding templates to articles)? We can always try to scan for obviously unwanted edits, too. I'm worried that this might backfire -- over-eager non-German speakers might remove valuable information and not be able to explain why.
- Third, do you really need administrators? We just don't use our super-admin-powers on en: that much, so I'm not sure why you'd need them on de:. Are you using yours a lot? Anyways, if you have some people who should be administrators, I can wave the wand over their heads to do it. However, IWBNI those people had Wikitravel experience and had been voted on. I can understand if you need some "emergency" admins, though.
- Finally: if you get swamped on de:, we can have another person become go-between, or if no one will do it, we can temporarily shut down the site. If you're not having fun and you're not getting support from the other members of the de: community, you don't have to carry the whole site. --Evan 16:36, 9 Nov 2004 (EST)
- I just want to know one thing: Are you willed to switch on the sysop flag for other de: admins or not? -- Hansm 17:26, 2004 Nov 9 (EST)
- Oh. Yes, of course! You're the go-between, you tell me who to switch on. --Evan 17:35, 9 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Thank you, Evan. It's still too early to tell you names, I first want to get to know people better on de: and get an impression about who would be the right ones. It was just a question to be sure that I can offer them the sysop status if they would like to become admin. -- Hansm 01:28, 2004 Nov 10 (EST)
Links to hotel listing sites
I only thought it best when entering the link to www.safarinow.com into the African sites of the directory. I always found it very helpful to have a big collection of places when going somewhere. Especially places like Cape Town where there are hundreds of hotels, B&Bs... to go.
Edit-Toolbar, Time and Templates on de:
The flood wave on de: seems to abate and the ship slowly moves towards a good course in regard to structure and MoS. Three questions:
- Some new contributors had been confused since they didn't find the toolbar in top of the edit window as they were used from WP. It took them a while to understand that they can turn it on in their preferences. Would it be possible to turn it on by default?
- I've just turned it on by default on de:. Hopefully that's what you're looking for!
- The vaste majority of German speaking people lives in coutries in the UTC+1 (UTC+2 in summer time) time zone. Is there a way to use this time zone as default on de:? It would improve readability if the time you see in the "recent changes" and the time of signing with ~~~~ would be the same time zone. At present, the time of signing ist EST, even if the time in the preferences is set to UTC+1.
- I had problems setting this for sv:, but I think we eventually got it worked out. I set the default timezone to "CET". Does that work correctly?
- User:Huebi as worked on a template with parameters that produces the Quick Facts box for coutry articles, see the source for de:Italien as an example. Huebi argues, that this would seperate the actual content in a more lucid way from control commands. My concerns are, that we maybe get somewhat fixed on his template and lose our Neutrality of medium. At the other hand, it would be realy easy to read out the content and process it in a more appropriate way if we want, for example, use our work for a printed book. I'm quite double-minded about that. Could you have a look on it and give a statement. -- Hansm 06:23, 2004 Nov 13 (EST)
- We have some stuff about this at Wikitravel:template policy. I'm really dubious about them and would prefer to only use templates for "throw-away" content, and preferably just for process stuff like the stub or disambiguation statement. But other people have other ideas. --Evan 23:26, 18 Nov 2004 (EST)
I responded to your comments at User talk:Ram-Man. -- Ram-Man 16:12, 17 Nov 2004 (EST)
I don't see any work in progress for the Italian language version, I think would be nice to make an Italian version of WikiTravel, if for you is fine I could manage to start this new project.
- → Wikitravel:Italian Wikitravel Expedition Jpatokal 05:49, 18 Nov 2004 (EST)
Hello Evan, there's a bug on swedish Wikitravel: once you've logged in it's impossible to log out. But overall I can't see any mayor problems :-) Väsk 14:24, 19 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Oh, it seems to work now :-) Now there's no problem (depsite that my user name displays as 'V%C3%A4sk' instead of 'Väsk') Väsk 14:26, 19 Nov 2004 (EST)
Hi Evan, I'm leaving this here because I can't access the Bug reports page. In fact, there's a ton of errors since the move to the new 404 caching system. I can't access user preferences, various pages (including the bug reports page), and for some reason when browsing in Firefox I can't edit any page (but IE works). All I get is this error:
- [filenotfound: message=".pt not found" code=0 mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]
Help! (Nickpest) -126.96.36.199 14:35, 19 Nov 2004 (EST)
- The new code is acting poorly for people who had non-monobook skins selected. I've made a correction of changing the database so each person's preferences are now reset to monobook, which should fix it for now. I'm going to be fixing the software, also, over the next couple of hours.
- Sorry for the hassle! --Evan 16:39, 19 Nov 2004 (EST)