User talk:Dhum Dhum/Main page
Hey, so, I like the way this looks. Some comments:
- I'm really unhappy with the way MediaWiki works with tables -- that is, not at all B-). I think anything with tables in it -- like the CIA Factbook imports -- is inherently hard to collaborate on. It separates people into HTML-haves and HTML-havenots.
- The columns on that upper table don't balance out very well. The middle one is much longer than the other two.
Just my 2 cents. -- Evan 09:28, 1 Nov 2003 (PST)
Actually, here's a third cent, which is: Main Page is traditionally elitist, and at some point -- after it gets vandalized a couple of times -- we're going to have to protect it, like Wikipedia does. So, maybe the first problem isn't so bad. -- Evan 09:30, 1 Nov 2003 (PST)
- Thanks for the feedback, Evan.
- I agree with you that HTML is not the best way to handle tables. It took me about two hours to create this page (and then I copy-pasted some stuff from other places). It's a fine line between the evil (HTML) and the nice look of tables. For me the balance tips to the latter. And, as you correctly assume, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the main page in the future.
- As for the columns, I haven't really spent much time getting the best fitting width. I'm planning on adding some more links to the 'Community' column. We should take care that a column doesn't get too narrow so it becomes unreadable. In that case the links in it probably don't deserve their own column anyway.
- What do you think of the colours (I know I'm not very good in combining colours), the placement of the boxes, the content, or whatever you can think of? Feedback is really appreciated. D.D. 13:03, 1 Nov 2003 (PST)
- Well, since you asked about colours, I have to say that I don't like them. A bit too bright? Also, remember that people have a choice of different skins, you don't want things to clash too much. The layout is o.k. though. CL 00:11, 2 Nov 2003 (PST)