Hello, AndreCarrotflower! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub. LtPowers 19:59, 11 December 2011 (EST)
- You've done such marvelous work on the Buffalo guide. I've been following your progress admiringly. Ikan Kekek 04:11, 8 January 2012 (EST)
- Thank you. I'm happy to hear I've done a good job. Being a local ambassador of sorts is something that I'm passionate about. I've got much more to add, so keep watching :) AndreCarrotflower 04:21, 8 January 2012 (EST)
- Indeed, it's good to see it growing, though I would caution you to keep listings that are outside of the city to a minimum. The "Get out" listings are getting a bit long (and individual attractions should be merely mentioned and not given full listings), and some listings in the main body of the article are for things well outside the city. Everything you've written is good, but some of it should probably be reserved for articles on the outlying areas. =) LtPowers 15:24, 8 January 2012 (EST)
- Thank you for your suggestions and for your continued help as I learn the finer points of Wikitravel. As for the "Get Out" section, all of the attractions I've listed are popular day trips for locals and I feel the article would be lacking without giving them at least a passing mention. However, I do agree with you that the listings are a bit wordy - a bad habit of mine. I will work on that. I do plan on setting to work at a later point on articles on outlying areas (East Aurora, in particular) and will transfer some of the listings in the Buffalo article for attractions in outlying areas to the others at that time. AndreCarrotflower 16:00, 8 January 2012 (EST)
- I've merged and condensed many of the outlying attractions, but I don't know that I can eliminate all the individual attraction listings in the Get Out section (Old Fort Niagara in particular), as this is a popular and worthwhile day trip from Buffalo that it would be difficult to place in any context other than stand-alone. As the Falls is a major attraction, I'd like to leave the descriptions for Niagara Falls, New York and Niagara Falls, Ontario a bit longer than the others in their section. Any further advice would be appreciated. AndreCarrotflower 16:28, 8 January 2012 (EST)
- Looks like a big improvement, though it could still probably be pared down a bit. At this point I wouldn't quibble, but if I were writing it anew, I'd include somewhat less detail on each destination. It's all good info, I'm just afraid it might be a bit overwhelming. We want people to click through to the linked articles and read what we have there. (By the way, Genesee Country Village & Museum is in Monroe County, the southwestern corner of it, not Genesee County). LtPowers 21:46, 8 January 2012 (EST)