Kyoto has a wide range of accommodation, much of it geared towards foreign visitors. During peak seasons, such as the cherry blossoms in April or during Golden Week when accommodation is difficult to get, consider staying in Osaka. A thirty minute train ride from Kyoto Station to Osaka Station will cost you ¥540 one way.
Most of the lodging in the city is clustered near the central city, especially around Kyoto Station and the downtown area near Karasuma-Oike. The outer areas have a scattering of their own, tending towards inexpensive but often much further from train or subway stations.
At the bottom of the price scale, many temples in Kyoto own and run their own lodging complex known as shukubō (宿坊), usually located on or near temple grounds. Guests are often invited to participate in morning prayer service (otsutome) held at the temple. Unfortunately, most temple lodgings do not have English-speaking receptions, and curfews and check-in/out times tend to be strict. Most are located in the northern region of the city.
Hostels are common and popular with students. Inexpensive hotels lack amenities but compensate with prices surprisingly low for Japan; both can be found in all regions of the city, and may be the only options available if you need to stay in an outlying ward.
The average hotel in Kyoto is no different from an average hotel anywhere. However, the majority of self-named ryokan in this range are actually minshuku. Most are small family-run operations and accustomed to dealing with foreigners. Be prepared to pay for the full stay in advance.
Almost exclusively found in the downtown and Kyoto Station areas, these top-of-the-line lodgings can make your airfare look cheap. Western-style hotels dominate in this category; unlike the midrange options, very few of the high end ryokan can be booked without a fluent command of Japanese.
The great majority of Kyoto's accommodations can be found here. Staying closer to Kyoto Station provides immediate access to the Shinkansen and the hub of the city bus network; closer to Karasuma-Oike puts you in the midst of downtown and closer to the Gion. They're only minutes apart by subway, making the choice merely a matter of personal convenience.
- Guesthouse Yahata, 544 Yahata-cho, Gojo-agaru, Nishinotoin, Shimogyo-ku (off Gojo-dori, west of the subway station), ☎ +81 (0)75-204-5897 (Japanese only), . checkin: 4-9 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Bunk beds from ¥2,500, private rooms from ¥8000 (2-4 people), with free breakfast.
- Hirano's B&B Kyoto, 38 Nakano-cho Oshikoji-sagaru, Shinmachi-dori, Nakagyo-ku (3 min. walk west from the Karasuma-Oike subway station), ☎ +81 (0)75-256-3081 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A quiet and intimate B&B (three guest rooms), near Nijo Castle. Guests experience being at home with a Japanese family. ¥4000 single, ¥3500/person for two, includes breakfast.
- J-Hoppers Kyoto Guesthouse, 51-2, Nakagoryo-cho, Higashikujo, Minami-ku (8 min. walk south from Kyoto Station, near Kujo subway station), ☎ +81 (0)75-681-2282, SKYPE:jhoppers, . checkin: 3-10 PM; checkout: 8-11 AM. A new and clean backpackers hostel. Rental bikes ¥500/day, Internet ¥300/hour. No curfew; up-to-date local information by native staff. Dormitory bed ¥2,500.
- K's House Kyoto, 418 Nayacho, Shichijo-agaru, Dotemachi-dori, Shimogyo-ku (9 min. walk east from JR Kyoto Station along Shichijo-dori, 4 min. walk from Keihan Line Shichijo Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-342-2444 (email@example.com, fax: +81 (0)75-342-2440), . checkin: 3-10 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Opened in November 2003, this foreigner-friendly hostel with English speaking staff, has received favorable reviews for reasonable prices, cleanliness and amenities like internet access and kitchens. The hostel itself can be difficult to find, as it is located down a narrow street off the main road. Dormitory room ¥2500, twin/double/triple room from ¥2900, single room from ¥3500 (prices per person).
- Kyoto Cheapest Inn, 783 Sabamatsu-cho, Marutamachi Omiya-Dori, Kamigyo-ku (Near Nijo Castle, 1-3 min. walk from bus stop Horikawa Marutamachi, 7 min. walk northeast from JR Nijo station), ☎ +81 (0)75-821-3323, . Credit cards accepted, English available, sheets included. Long stay discount. Additional charges for various services - use of printer or fax, changing sheets more frequently, etc. Dorms from, ¥1000-2500, private rooms, ¥7800. Discounts common in winter.
- Tomato Guesthouse, 135 Shimizu, Nishi-iru Shiokoji-Horikawa, Shimogyou-ku (7 min. walk west from Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-203-8228, . checkin: 4-9 PM. Rates ¥3900 - ¥2200.
- Tour Club, 362 Momijicho, Higashinakasuji, Shomensagaru, Shimogyo-ku (9 min. walk northwest from Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-353-6968, . A friendly, clean hostel with both dorm and private rooms. There is a beautiful zen garden and traditional Japanese-living room. Free wifi, coffee and tea and the chance to try on a kimono. Air-con, bicycle rental and laundry are also available. Double en-suite ¥3490 per person, quad en-suite ¥2,930 per person.
Budget Hotels, Minshuku & Ryokans
- Budget Inn, (near Nishi-Honganji, 7 min. walk northwest from Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-344-1510, . checkin: 4:00-9:30 PM; checkout: 10:30 AM. Under the same management as Tour Club (above). A variety of dorm and private rooms, with elevator access. Kitchen and laundry facilities available. Offers discounts for stays beyond 4 nights. Dorm bed ¥2500/night, private rooms ¥10,980 triple through ¥14,980 quad.
- Crossroads, 45-14 Ebisu Banba-cho, Shimogyo-ku (20 min. walk west of Kyoto Station, or #205 bus to Ume Koji Koen-mae then 2 min. walk northwest), ☎ +81 (0)75-354-3066 (fax: +81 (0)75-354-3022), . checkin: 4 PM; checkout: 10 AM. A ryokan with shared shower & toilet facilities. 11 PM curfew. Three rooms: one person ¥4000, two persons ¥7350, three persons ¥10,400.
- Econo Inn Discount Hotel, 67 Hirai-cho, Kawaramachi-Gojo Sagaru, Shimogyo-ku (15 min. walk northwest from Kyoto Station, or just south of Kawaramachi-Gojo stop on buses 4, 17, 205), ☎ +81 (0)75-343-6660 (fax: +81 (0)75-343-6667), . checkin: 3 PM - 11 PM; checkout: 11 AM. 21 Western-style private rooms: singles, doubles, and triples. All rooms have a bath unit, air-conditioner and TV. Caters more to long-term stays. Sliding rate scale depending on length of stay: singles go from ¥5880 for one night down to ¥3880 for 21 nights or more; a few small short-term singles range start at ¥3780.
- Hotel Iida (ホテル飯田), 717 Shiokoji-agaru, Akezu-dori, Shimogyo-ku (3 min. northeast of Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-341-3256 (fax: +81 (0)75-351-3051), . Mostly Japanese style rooms, with a few Western rooms, both varieties with or without private bath. Singles ¥5250-7875 (Japanese), ¥6300-7875 (Western); doubles ¥8400-14,700; triples ¥12,600-23,625.
- Ikoi-no-Ie (憩の家), 885 Ushitora-cho, Rokujo-dori, Shinmachi Higashi-iru, Shimogyo-ku (12-15 min. walk northwest from Kyoto Station, 5 min. west from Gojo subway station), ☎ +81 (0)75-354-8081 (fax: +81 (0)75-354-8068). checkin: by arrangement; checkout: 11 AM. New facility, opened 2007. All non-smoking rooms, some en-suite. The ground floor rooms near the lobby can be noisy. LAN ports in most rooms. Singles with shared bath ¥4750, private bath ¥7600; doubles ¥7600-8400 shared, ¥9600-11,000 private; triples ¥9600 shared, ¥12,000-¥13,500 private; quad ¥15,000 private.
- Palace Side Hotel, Karasuma Shimodachiuri Agaru, Kamigyo-ku (3 min. walk north from Marutamachi subway station K07), ☎ +81 (0)75-415-8887 (fax: +81 (0)75-415-8889). checkin: 2 PM; checkout: 11 AM. It's exactly where the name suggests: across the street from the Kyoto Imperial Palace and park, on Karasuma (near the intersection with Marutamachi). It's a Western-style hotel reminiscent of a much more expensive hotel that could use a good scrubbing. The staff speak fluent English, and the front desk is always open, as are computers with Internet access in the lobby. It's often used by academic groups from nearby universities, though, so advance reservations should be made. There are discounts for stays of three or more nights. Singles ¥6000-7000, twin ¥9000-9800, doubles ¥9800.
- Ryokan Hiraiwa (旅館平岩), 314 Hayao-cho, Kaminokuchi-agaru, Ninomiyacho-dori, Shimogyo-ku (15 min. walk northeast from Kyoto Station, or take buses #17 or #205 from pier A2 to Kawaramachi-Shomen, the third stop), ☎ +81 (0)75-351-6748. A self-proclaimed ryokan (really a minshuku) catering almost entirely to the foreign market, in an old Japanese house plastered with English signs, warnings and tips. All rooms are Japanese style. Traditional breakfast is available for an extra charge. Shared bathrooms or a public bath half a block away. But it's cheap (¥4200 for a single, ¥8400 for a double, breakfast not included) and reasonably friendly, though opinions beyond that vary widely. Slightly inconveniently located halfway between the station and the center of town (it's bit of a hike to either). Singles ¥4200−5250, doubles ¥8400.
- Ryokan Kyoraku, 231 Kogawa-cho, Shichijo-agaru, Akezu-dori, Shimogyo-ku (6 min. walk north from Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-371-7161 (fax: +81 (0)75-371-1260), . checkin: 3-10 PM; checkout: 10 AM. Recently renovated, with 14 Japanese-style rooms (half with private bath, half without) and two Western-style double rooms (both with private bath). 11 PM curfew. Singles ¥5200-6000 with shared bath, ¥6000-6600 private; doubles ¥9200-10,200 shared, ¥11,000-12,300 private; triples ¥13,800-15,200 shared, ¥16,000-17,700 private.
- Station Ryokan Seiki, 24-5, Kitakarasuma-cho, Higashikujo, Minami-ku (5 min. walk south from Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-682-0444 (fax: +81 (0)75-682-0171), . Shabby building, but the staff is friendly. Singles ¥5500, doubles ¥8000-9000, triples ¥12,000-13,000.
- Super Hotel Kyoto Karasuma Gojo, Karasuma Dori, Gojo Kudaru, Osaka Machi 396-3 (10 min. walk from Kyoto Station, or at exit 8 of Gojo subway station), ☎ +81 (0)75-343-9000 (fax: +81 (0)75-343-9001), . checkin: 3 PM-midnight; checkout: 10 AM. A Japanese budget hotel chain. All rates include tax and breakfast. Singles ¥6090 (¥5040 off season, ¥7140 peak season); doubles ¥7140-8180-9240.
- Toyoko Inn Kyoto Gojo-Karasuma, 393, Gojo-Karasumasho Karasuma-dori Matsubara-sagaru Shimogyo-ku (15 min. walk north from Kyoto Station, 3 min. walk from Gojo subway station, exit 2), ☎ +81 (0)75-344-1045 (fax: +81 (0)75-344-1047), . checkin: 4 PM; checkout: 10 AM. A Japanese budget hotel chain. Good value for twin rooms. Online reservations showing vacancies & bookings available on all sites, enter as "General Guest" if you do not have membership. Two other locations nearby, at Shijo-Omiya  and Shijo-Karasuma , with similar prices. Singles ¥6200, doubles ¥7200, triples ¥8200.
- Gimmond Hotel (2 min. walk east from Karasuma-Oike subway station), Takakura-Oike-dori, Nakagyo-ku, ☎ +81 (0)75-221-4111 (fax: +81 (0)75-221-8250), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 11 AM. A foreigner-friendly hotel, neat and tidy and located downtown near City Hall. Discount for Internet booking. Including taxes and fees: Singles ¥9,586–10,741, doubles ¥16,170, twin rooms ¥16,747–23,100.
- Hearton Hotel Kyoto, Higashi no Toin Dori Oike Agaru, Nakagyo-ku (2 min. northeast of Karasuma-Oike subway station, exit 1), ☎ +81 (0)75-222-1300 (fax: +81 (0)75-222-1313), . checkin: 2 PM; checkout: noon. Mid range, Western-style hotel located downtown. Single ¥11,000, twin ¥22,400.
- Hotel Monterey Kyoto, 3 Jyo Minami Karasuma-dori, Nakagyo-ku (West side of Karusuma, south of Sanjo), ☎ +81 (0)75-251-7111. checkin: 2 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Opened in March 2007 the staff are very keen to please. 15 minute stroll to Sanjo Shopping Arcade and less than five minute walk from subway station. Rates vary but they have discounts for internet booking and travel agents offer combined JR tickets and room rates. Includes spa and two restaurants (French and Japanese). Singles around ¥15,000–18,000, doubles around ¥20,000–23,000.
- Kyoto Garden Hotel, Muromachi-dori, Oike Minamiiru, Nakagyo-ku (About 1 min. west of Karasuma-Oike subway station (Karasuma subway line), exit 4-1), ☎ +81 (0)75-255-2000 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +81 (0)75-255-2389), . checkin: 3 PM; checkout: 10 AM. Convenient downtown location; a short walk away from the Kyoto International Manga Museum, a long (but manageable) walk away from Nijo Castle. All rooms are non-smoking. Guests with their own LAN-enabled laptops/netbooks can get internet access in their rooms free of charge; just borrow a connection kit from the front desk. Actual rates vary depending on the time of year and discounts/special offers are available for online bookings. Single ¥9,240, double ¥12,600-13,650, twin ¥14,700-16,800, triple ¥19,950.
- Kyoto Tower Hotel, Karasuma-dori Shichijo-sagaru, Shimogyo-ku (1 min. walk north from JR Kyoto Station, immediately across the street), ☎ +81 (0)75-361-3212 (fax: +81 (0)75-343-5645), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Foreigner-friendly hotel, and the location across the street from JR Kyoto Station is impossible to miss. The same company operates two additional hotels nearby: the Kyoto Tower Hotel Annex, a few blocks northwest, and the Kyoto Dai-Ni Tower Hotel, east of the station. Kyoto Tower: Singles ¥8,000–14,500, twin ¥16,000–31,000. Annex and Dai-Ni: ¥6,500–11,500, twin ¥14,000–¥19,800.
- Ryokan Shimizu, 644 Wakamiya Agaru Shichijo, Shimogyo-ku (5 min. walk northwest from Kyoto Station, near Nishi-Honganji), ☎ +81 (0)75-371-5538 (fax: +81 (0)75-371-5539), . A modern style ryokan which is welcoming to foreign visitors. The owners can speak some English. En-suite facilities are provided and a Japanese style breakfast is available. There is a communal Japanese bath facility. ¥6,000/person (¥5,000 during winter), higher near holidays.
- Hyatt Regency Kyoto, 644-2 Sanjusangendo-mawari, Higashiyama-ku (Near Shichi-jo station on the Keihan line, or you can take buses #206, #208, or #100 from JR Kyoto station), ☎ +81 (0)75-541-1234 (email@example.com), . 5 star hotel with contemporary interior design. All its restaurants feature show kitchens, which is a first in Kyoto. ¥43,000 for twin room.
- Kyoto Hotel Okura, Kawaramachi-Oike, Nakagyo-ku (at Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae subway station, T12), ☎ +81 (0)75-211-5111 (fax: +81 (0)75-254-2529), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 11 AM. A large, modern Western-style hotel located downtown. ¥19,000 for a single, through ¥49,000 for a double-occupancy corner room; top-floor suites climb higher still.
- New Miyako Hotel (新都ホテル), 17 Nishikujo-Inmachi, Minami-ku (across street from Kyoto Station, Hachijo exit), ☎ +81 (0)75-661-7111 (fax: +81 (0)75-661-7135), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 11 AM. The largest hotel in Kyoto with over 700 rooms, and the prices to match: starting at ¥10,000 for singles and ¥21,000 for doubles. Located immediately south of Kyoto station. If you get a room facing north, you'll be able to see the bullet trains coming in and out of the station, as well as the glass windows from the exterior of the Isetan department store that seem to reflect the sky if the weather conditions are just right. The new and slightly more expensive south wing opened in late September of 2005. ¥11,550 singles through ¥57,750 suites, tax included.
- Ryokan Tamahan, 477 Gion, Shimogawara-cho, Higashiyama-ku (Gion District, 10 minutes by taxi from Kyoto Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-561-3188, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 11am. Traditional Ryokan in quaint Gion district. It's worth the experience for at least one night. The price includes Japanese dinner and a choice of Japanese or Western breakfast. There is free wifi access. Staff are friendly but speak limited English. ¥25,000 per person.
- Westin Miyako Kyoto, Keage, Sanjo, Higashiyama-ku, ☎ +81 (0)75-771-7111 (fax: +81 (0)75-751-2490), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Established in 1890, this is the oldest Western-style hotel in Kyoto. It has over 400 rooms, starting at ¥33,000 for twins. (If you make a reservation through a travel agency, you may get a lower price.) It has about 30,000 square meters, and a few Japanese gardens, one of which, Aoiden (葵殿庭園) was built by Jihei Ogawa (小川治兵衛). The gardens can be visited by non-guests. It's near Keage Station (subway - Tozai Line, T09), or you can take a shuttle bus from JR Kyoto Station.
Budget-minded travelers and those escaping the bustle of the urban core may prefer this area. To reach the central city easily, look for connections to the Kitaōji subway station (K04 on the Karasuma line) and bus terminal, the transportation hub of northern Kyoto.
- Myōren-ji Temple (妙蓮寺), Teranouchi Omiya Higashi-iru, Horikawa, Kamigyo-ku (Three minutes by foot from Horikawa Teranouchi Stop on Bus #9 and 12 - the former leaves from Kyoto Station, the latter from Shijo Karasuma subway station), ☎ +81 (0)75-451-3527. checkin: 6 PM; checkout: 7 AM. Facilities: in-room air-conditioner; no bath but a public bath is nearby; guests should bring their own bath towel and shampoo as the public bath only lends out mini-towels and soap. ¥3,800 per person (including entrance fee to public bath).
- Myōshin-ji Daishin-in (妙心寺大心院), 57 Myoshinji-cho, Hanazono, Ukyo-ku (10 minutes by foot from Hanazono Station on JR Sagano Line or 7 minutes by foot from Myoshin-ji Mae Stop on buses #8, #10, and #26), ☎ +81 (0)75-461-5714 (fax: +81 (0)75-461-5714). 10 rooms with a maximum capacity of 50; in-room air-conditioner, kotatsu heating table in winter, shared bath and toilet. Lights out at 10pm. ¥4,700 with breakfast.
- Myōshin-ji Shunko-in Temple (妙心寺春光院), 42 Myoshinji-cho, Hanazono, Ukyo-Ku (Five minutes by foot from the JR Hanazono station, 12-15 minutes away from the JR Kyoto station by JR Sagano Line), ☎ +81 (0)75-462-5488 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 15:00 - 19:00; checkout: By noon. The only English available temple accommodation in Kyoto. The guest house has two rooms. A room has a private shower room, toilet, and AC (or a heater). Next to the guest house, there is a fully equipped shared kitchen. The temple hosts many important artistic and cultural properties related to Zen Buddhism, Shinto, and Christianity. One of the properties is the Bell of Nanbanji, which is designated as a national cultural important properties. Call or e-mail for reservation. ¥5,000 per person (including a tour of temple and rental bicycle). Zen meditation & tour: ¥2000 (including a bowl of maccha green tea and Japanese sweet)..
- Myōshin-ji Tōrin-in, 59 Myoshinji-cho, Hanazono, Ukyo-ku (10 minutes by foot from Hanazono Station on JR Sagano Line or 7 minutes by foot from Myoshin-ji Mae Stop on buses #8, #10, and #26), ☎ +81 (0)75-463-1334. Only accept reservations from foreigners if they are with a Japanese person. 10 rooms with a maximum capacity of 40; shared bath. Curfew at 9pm. Lights out at 10pm. ¥4,700 with breakfast; ¥6,000 with breakfast and dinner; Shojin meal (Buddhist vegetarian) ¥3,000 - ¥8,000; Shojin cooking class ¥3,000.
- Utano Youth Hostel, 9 Nakayama-cho, Uzumasa, Ukyo-ku (off Kitaoji-dori), ☎ +81 (0)75-462-2288 (email@example.com), . checkin: 3:00-11:30 PM; checkout: before 10 AM. Near Ryoanji and Kinkakuji in northwestern Kyoto. There are three bus lines that go out there (26 from Kyoto Station, 10 and 59 from Sanjo-Keihan station) and the stop is right in front of the hostel (Utano Youth Hostel Mae). Bicycle rentals are available and guests are welcome to use the kitchen, bath and laundry facilities. Dorm room ¥3300, twin ¥4000/person.
Budget hotels and minshuku
- Duo Inn (デュオ・イン), 3F, 1039-31 Kamiyagawa-cho, Nishi-iru, Onmae, Imakoji-dori, Kamigyo-ku (About 50 min. from Kyoto Station via #50 bus, or 15 min. walk north from JR Enmachi Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-465-8800 (fax: +81 (0)75-464-1110), . Apartment hotel. Fairly far out in northwest Kyoto but the prices are reasonable. Prices are significantly lower for stays of 7 or more nights. Payment by cash only. No daily cleaning and no bath towels provided. Bus journey from Kyoto Station takes about 50 minutes. Singles ¥6300, doubles ¥8400—10,500, triples ¥12,600, 2-4 person Japanese-style room ¥14,700.
- GuestHouse Bon (ゲストハウス『凡』), 63-2 Kamimonzen-cho Murasakino, Kita-ku (8 min. west of Kitaōji subway station K04, north exit), ☎ +81 (0)75-493-2337, . checkin: 3-10 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Located in northwest Kyoto, immediately east of Daitokuji. Inexpensive bicycle rentals. The guest house owner has lived in Western countries before and can speak fluent English and a pinch of Spanish. All Japanese-style rooms, but can be converted to dorm style upon request for larger parties. Singles ¥3800–4500, doubles ¥4500–6000, triples ¥7500.
- Hotel Chrysantheme, 51, Hirano Kamihatcho Yanagi-machi, Kita-ku (near Ritsumeikan University, 30 min. from Kyoto Station via buses #50 or 205), ☎ +81 (0)75-462-1540 (fax: +81 (0)75-462-1571), . checkin: 2-9 PM; checkout: 11 AM. Western-style rooms with shower and bath shared between every two rooms. Also oriented towards the longer-stay market, with discounts starting at 5 days and increasing through 30. Singles ¥4800, doubles ¥9600 (without long-stay discounts).
The small size and historic preservation of this district leave little room for hotels – most people will stay in Central Kyoto instead. There are a few exceptions:
- bAKpAK Gion Hostel, 2-244 Miyagawa Suji, Higashiyama-ku, ☎ +81 (0)75-525-1433, . In the midst of the Gion, close to Kaburen-jo Theater, a place for Kyo Odori (Kyoto Dance). Mixed dorm ¥2500, quad room ¥3500.
- bAKpAK Kyoto Hostel, 1-234 Miyagawa Suji, Higashiyama-ku (between Kawaramachi and Gion, next to the Minamiza theater), ☎ +81 (0)75-525-3143, . Dorm ¥2500/person to Japanese-style quad ¥14,000/room.
- Gojo Guest House, 3-396-2 Gojobashi-higashi, Higashiyama-Ku (5 min. walk from Keihan Gojo Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-525-2299, . checkin: 3-10 PM; checkout: 11 AM. A Japanese style hostel with a cozy cafe located in the Higashiyama area. Dorm ¥2500/person, twin ¥6000/room, triple ¥9900/room for three people, ¥12,000 for four.
- Guest House - The Earth Ship, 33-15 Naka-Adaticho, Yoshida, Sakyo-ku (near Kyoto University, 10 min. walk from Keihan Demachiyanagi Station), ☎ +81 (0)75-204-0077, . Friendly shared living room. Dormitory ¥2,500, Private room starts at ¥4000 for one person, ¥6000 for two people, ¥7500 for three, ¥8000 for four. There is an additional discount on these prices for long stays.
- Kyoto Travelers Inn (京都トラベラーズ・イン), 91 Enshojicho, Okazaki, Sakyoku (7 min. walk northeast from Higashiyama subway station T10, exit 1), ☎ +81 (0)75-771-0225 (fax: +81 (0)75-771-0226). checkin: 3 PM; checkout: 10 AM. One of the few hotels in eastern Kyoto, near Heian-jingu. Singles ¥6825 and up, doubles ¥12,600 and up.
Little lodging is available. Look for more plentiful options in Central Kyoto.
Most travelers will stay in Central or Northern Kyoto instead, and visit Arashiyama only for the day.
- Rokuō-in (鹿王院), 24 Kitahori-cho, Saga, Ukyo-ku (Near Arashimaya, six minutes by foot from Saga-Arashiyama Station on the JR Sagano Line), ☎ +81 (0)75-861-1645. Only for female visitors. 10 rooms with a maximum capacity of 30; during peak season, guests traveling alone may be asked to share a room with another single guest; towels not provided; one bath. Crowded during autumn foliage season. Curfew at 7:30pm. Closed during New Year's holidays. ¥4,500 per person with breakfast.
- Bola Bola Guest House, 25-17 Horigauchi-cho Uzumasa, Ukyo-ku (near JR Uzumasa train station on the western part of Kyoto, 15 min. train ride from Kyoto station), ☎ +81 (0)75-861-5663, . checkin: 3 PM - midnight; checkout: 11 AM. A friendly and well kept guest house. The owner speaks English and is very willing to help foreign guests. ¥2500 dorm, ¥3500 private room (¥2500 each for 2 or more people).