The Uro Islands are floating islands made of reed, situated in Lake Titicaca on the Peruvian Altiplano.
People actually live here, moving around, always rebuilding their island-homes.
Until recently the only option for visiting the islands were on the daytime with a tour, or independent. But a recent option for accommodation on the islands opens an opportunity to get a better experience of the life on the floating islands and to create better connections with the locals.
- Dozens of agencies in Puno will arrange a visit with a guide, often in combination with a daytrip to Isla Taquile (can be arranged to stay overnight on one of the islands and go to Isla Taquile next morning).
- To go independent, be at the harbour around seven and ask around for boats going.
- Reed artesania Artwork built from the reed (totora) - The same plant being used for the houses and the island itself.
- Fishermans at morning Available only if sleeping on one of the islands and with coordinating it with one of the locals ahead. Best time is at dawn (5:30AM) - If the lake is calm the sunrise will be unforgivable one.
- Send a postcard On the island Qananpacha there is a post office. The owners claim it is the only floating post office in the world. Not all the tours get there, you need to ask before booking if there will be a stop there.
- Trucha Available only on the islands that have a restaurant. Because takes time to prepare available only when there is a long stop, or when staying overnight.
- Reed The bottom part of a fresh reed (colored white) is actually edible, and surprisingly not so bad - Worth a try.
- Muña mate A tea made from a herb growing in the environment of Titicaca lake. It is said this herb helps to cope with the high altitude, but even if not it's tasty minty taste is worth it.
- Qananpacha Hospedaje A new option offered is accommodation on one of the islands called Qananpacha. The rooms are equipped with double bed and made all out of reed, also available is a restaurant and a post office. Prices are very affordable - 15 soles for a bed, and 40 soles including a dinner and a breakfast. Not all tour agencies stop at this island, so better contact the hospedaje directly to make reservations: 951-835264, 950-951489 . Also a pickup from puno harbor can be arranged.