| || |
| || |
* '''Hostel Ulcinj-Montenegro''' [http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/HostelUlcinjMontenegro-Ulcinj-32997]Kodre bb,Ulcinj, tel: +382 (0) 69 870 656, [mailto:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org]. Situated 100 m from main Bus Station in Ulcinj
. A village built old house in an islated road outside town, with no asphalt road linking it to the main national road, no night lighting, and a very poor service. |+|
* '''Hostel Ulcinj-Montenegro''' [http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/HostelUlcinjMontenegro-Ulcinj-32997]Kodre bb,Ulcinj, tel: +382 (0) 69 870 656, [mailto:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org]. Situated 100 m from main Bus Station in Ulcinj.
| || |
Revision as of 08:09, 2 May 2010
Ulcinj (Cyillic: Улцињ, Albanian: Ulqin or Ulqini) is the most southern coastal town of Montenegro.
Ulcinj is the southern most major town along the Montenegrin coast before reaching the border with Albania. Well over a majority of the population of Ulcinj is ethnic Albanian. Together with the town of Tuzi it is one of the two major population centers of Albanians in Montenegro. Due to the town's nice location on the coast it is a major tourist destination of much of the Albanian population of Kosovo.
- There are frequent buses from Podgorica that should cost under €5, a 2 hour ride.
- From Bar you can either take a normal bus or catch a 'combi' minibus that runs up and down the coast of Montenegro.
- From Kosovo during the tourist season there are frequent buses leaving from the major cities. The price should be around €25.
- From Albania there are 'combi' minibuses that come from Durres in Albania to Ulcinj, although they most likely are not official bus operations, so you'll have to do some asking around.
- There are also daily departures from Shkodra in Albania to Ulcinj. These are, in theory, well connected with Albanian 'furgons' from Tirana and Durres. It takes one hour to Shkoder by "private" cab, it costs 5 euro.
Ulcinj is a small city, you will have no problem getting around by foot.
- Car Rental and Airpot Transfers to Ulcinj
MCR - Rent a Car Offering Rental Cars and Airport Shuttle Transfers to and from Ulcinj .
 Tel: +382 (0) 67 515 477
There is an old castle overlooking the sea. Stari grad (old town) is worth a visit.
Ulcinj is a splendid central location for exploring Montenegro's South Coast region (from Bar to Skader Lake to Ada Bojana and parts of Albania. The "Ulcinj" South Coast region boasts some of the most interesting adventure tour, historic tour, eco tour, and vacation beach stays in all of the Adriatic.
There is good swimming in the area. The longest sandy beach in Montenegro is located near by, including a nudist beach for those so inclined.
- For the more adventuresome you can take the 'combi' towards the Albanian border (but not crossing it) getting off on the first road heading towards Lake Skadar near the town of Brajse. There is a small bus from Brajse that runs along this small road towards the mountains which if it's running you can take for 0.50 EUR, otherwise you'll have to walk or hitch hike. Once you get to the peak of the mountain range you'll be standing almost exactly on the Albanian and Montenegrin border. You'll be able to look out over one of the most magnificent lakes in Europe as well as get a good view of the Adriatic coast, Albania and Montenegro. Continue hitchhiking up the lake, you'll get to see some of the most rural untouched villages in the Balkans. The southern half of the lake shore is populated by ethnic Albanians while the northern half all the way up to the town of Virpazar is populated by Montenegrins. There is very little travel between the two communities so there are almost no buses that run the course of the highway meaning you'll either have to walk or hitchhike. The people driving the road though few and far between seemed more than willing to take hitchhikers. If you camp (which is a good idea) there are some camp sites about half way between Virpazar and Arbnez.
Near the beach stalls sell kebab and hamburgers.
- Restaurant Grand (Fish and Steak Restaurant Ulcinj), Gj. K. Skenderbeu Ulcinj Montenegro (Main Street in Ulcinj), ☎ ++382 (0) 69 478 625, . 12:00 - 01:00. The Restuarant Grand offers a wide range of Mediterranean, Albanian and Montenegrin Cousine and is well known for its fresh Lobster. 5 - 20 Euro.
Accommodation are plentiful in Ulcinj, ranging from resort hotels to private accommodations. The resort hotels in Ulcinj are each in the process of renovation and reconstruction, as most have been recently privatized from former government agencies. Lodging costs range from full-service rooms at 50 EUR per person (or more) down to the many unlicensed/unregulated private accommodations costing in the range of 10-25 EUR.
- Hostel Ulcinj-Montenegro Kodre bb,Ulcinj, tel: +382 (0) 69 870 656, email@example.com. Situated 100 m from main Bus Station in Ulcinj.
There are at least twice-daily departures to Shkodra in Albania, making a stop at the border and at the furgon station of Shkodra, before making it to the city centre. In the furgon station by the Shkodra bridge and castle, furgons for Tirana and Durres will be waiting.