Ulaangom is the capital of Uvs province.
The city is located near the shores of Lake Uvs Nuur, and has a population of around 27,000. It has an extreme and harsh climate, with temperatures often dropping as low as -45°C in the Winter while rising to as high as +40°C during the Summer. While the city does not boast an abundance of tourist attractions, it serves as a good base to explore the north-west corner of Mongolia.
Aero Mongolia  operares several flights a week from Ulaanbaatar. The city's airport code ULO
- The museum - nice displays of local forna, wild life and Buddhist art.
- Dechinravjaalin Khiid Monastery - founded in 1757, this monastery once boasted 2,000 monks. However, after being destroyed in 1937, the monastery never recovered, and it remains a shadow of its former glory.
- Uvs Nuur Tsogtsolbor Hotel. Tel:+976 1452 24614 - the best hotel in town.
- Uureg Nuur - Mongolia's largest lake.
- The twin peaks of Kharkhiraa Uul (4037m) and Tiirgen Uul (3965m).
- Uvs Nuur - a gigantic inland sea in the middle of the desert. It is five times saltier than the sea, so cannot support aquatic life.
- Khyargas Nuur Natural Park
- Achit Nuur - the largest freshwater lake in Uvs