Tybee Island Light Station
Tybee Island is a popular beach town 18 miles east of Savannah on the Atlantic coast of Georgia.
GA-26/US-80 is the only route onto the island and passes directly through Savannah on its way east.
- Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (IATA: SAV),  is about 45 minutes away from the island and is served by seven airlines. The airport is directly served by Interstate 95 and is located about 20 minutes north of Savannah.
It's about 18 miles from Savannah along route 80, and most of the highway has no bike lanes or paved shoulder to ride on. However, it is a scenic ride, and flat.
GA-26/US-80 is the main street through town and is known locally as Butler Ave. The main drag along the beach is Strand Ave and runs from 14th Street to 18th Street.
The island is quite accessible by bike, and is the preferred method of getting around with a more relaxed, beach attitude. Bikes can be rented for this purpose (see the Do section below).
Fort Screven's Battery Garland
- Tybee Island Light Station, ☎ (912) 786-5801, . 9AM - 5:30PM, Closed Tuesdays. Georgia's oldest and tallest lighthouse, includes a complex of historic support buildings and 187 steps to the top! $7 Adults, $5 Children and Seniors.
- Tybee Island Marine Science Center, 1510 Strand Avenue (Directly in front of the Tybee pier and pavilion), ☎ (912) 786-5917, . 10AM - 5PM. Part science center and part aquarium, featuring touch tanks and many kid friendly exhibits. $4 Adults, $3 Children.
- Tybee Island Museum at Fort Screven's Battery Garland, (Directly across from the Tybee Island Light Station). Located inside a coastal defense fort first used during the Spanish American War, this museum outlines the the history of Tybee Island as an integral part of America's coastal defense system. Don't miss the WWII submarine periscope located just inside the entrance.
- Fort Pulaski National Monument, ☎ (912) 786-5787, . 9AM - 5:30PM. An imposing Civil War era fort designed to protect the coastal region of Savannah. The fort was the site of a siege battle between the Confederates who usurped the fort and Union soldiers determined to take it over. The 7.5 foot solid brick walls still feature cannon fire damage. $3.
- Fat Tire Bikes, 1405 Butler Ave (Near 14th Street), ☎ (912) 786-4013. Rent bikes to see the island at a relaxed pace. Can also call ahead to have bikes delivered to where you're staying.
- The Beach, (Walk east, you'll find it). Be aware that Tybee Island is very strict about preserving its beach; dogs and glass bottles are forbidden, and fines are very steep.
- Sea Kayak Georgia, 1102 Highway 80, ☎ 912-786-8732, . Offers guided kayak tours through salt marshes, rivers, and other coastal waterways. Trips available for all skill levels.
- High Tide Surf Shop, 405 Hwy 80, ☎ 912-786-6556, . Hip surf shop with bathing suits, boogie boards, and of course surf ware.
- AJ's Dockside Restaurant, 1315 Chatham Avenue, ☎ (912) 786-9533, . 11AM - 10PM. Great neighborhood setting on the back river. Serves seafood outside on a dock which is the setting for some spectacular sunsets.
- The Crab Shack, 40 Estill Hammock Road, ☎ 866-789-2722, . Laid back seafood restaurant with extravagant decorations and a zany atmosphere. Be sure to buy some gator food to feed the live alligators! ~$15.
- Sundae Cafe, 304 1st Street (at the corner of Hwy 80 & Jones Avenue), ☎ 912-786-7694, . Fine dining featuring both traditional southern dishes and seafood.
- Fannies on the Beach, 1613 Strand Ave, ☎ (912) 786-6109, . Large restaurant with full bar overlooking the beach; has an open-air dining area on the second floor. Ask to sit in the boat if you have young kids who want to steer a ship while enjoying a meal.
- Dolphin Reef Sports Bar & Grill, 1401 Strand Ave (Oceanfront at 15th Street), ☎ (912) 786-8400, . 8AM-10PM daily. Seafood, ocean views, happy hour specials 3PM-7PM daily. Sports on the HD TVs.
- Doc's Bar, 10 16th St, ☎ (912) 786-5506, . Fun bar by the beach.
- Beachside Colony, 404 Butler Ave., ☎ (912) 786-4535, . Oceanfront property with rooms and condominiums available.
- Tybee Vacation Rentals, 1010 Hwy 80 East, ☎ 912-786-5853, . checkin: 4:00pm; checkout: 10:00am. Over 120 unique homes, cottages, and condos in all Tybee Island locations. Oceanfront, Luxury to Budget Friendly. Exceptional customer service and quality properties.
- Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, Oceanfront at 15th Street, ☎ 912-786-7777, . Oceanfront Hotel Rooms & Luxury 3-Bedroom Condos on Tybee Island Beach.
- Otalo Vacation Rental Search, Tybee Island, Georgia, . Tybee Island vacation rental search. http://www.otalo.com/vacation-rentals/United%20States/Georgia/Tybee%20Island/r.jsp
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!