Tulbagh is in Cape Winelands.
The charming historical town of Tulbagh is situated in the Witzenberg Municipal area, near Wolseley, Prince Alfred's Hamlet, Gouda and Ceres, in the Winelands of Boland in the Western Cape Province, South Africa. The Ideal accommodation getaway in the country. There are lots of things to do and see, places to eat, scenic hiking trails, sport, horse riding, camping and other places to stay for self catering or bed and breakfast.
First discovered in 1658, it was settled in 1700 when land grants were made to 14 farming families. The town was developed in 1743 when the church was built. After the earthquake in 1969 every home in Church Street was restored. These 32 buildings were all declared National Monuments and constitute the largest concentration of National Monuments in one street in South Africa.
The town is situated on the northern end of the beautiful and fertile Tulbagh valley. The valley is almost completely surrounded by majestic mountain ranges - the Obiqua mountains to the west, the towering Winterhoek on the northern end and the Witzenberg on the eastern side of the valley. The Great Winterhoek mountains tower 2077 metres above sea level and are picturesquely snowcapped in winter.
A diverse flora is abundant all over the valley and in the mountains. Proteas grow wild, as do herbs such as Buchu. The spring brings a multitude of wild flowers to full bloom and coupled to the blossoms of the fruit trees, it makes for a glorious show of splendor. The productive valley produces some of the country's best red and white wines, olive oil, peaches, grain, pears and 70% of the country's plums!
This is a wonderful tourist and country holiday destination and Tourism is actively promoted by the warm and friendly people of Tulbagh. The valley is fast becoming a wedding and conference location with all the facilities available to make for a memorable occasion. Towns such as Wellington, Malmesbury, Paarl, Franshoek, Riebeek Kasteel, Malmesbury, Piketberg, Porterville, Stellenbosch, Worcester and Rawsonville are within three quarters of an hour's drive from the valley and Cape Town is only 120 kms away.
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
- Tourism Tulbagh, 6 Church Street, ☎ 0232301375, . 120km or 60 – 90 minutes drive from Cape Town, in the heart of the Cape Winelands.
- Ceres Zipslide Adventures: 8 Slides totaling 1.4 km for the longest tour in Africa. The surrounding Skurweberg Mountains forms a picturesque backdrop to this awesome adventure.
- Hiking Trails
- Murludi Hiking Trail: 023 2300 732 – Offers a two route hike, (4km & 10km) with fynbos & birdlife – R25 p/p Permits available at the Tourism Office
- Silwerfontein Hiking Trail (Natural Heritage Site on the Voëlvlei dam): 079 500 1906 – Offers a one or two day hike with bird & wildlife, spring flowers & fynbos with accommodation
- Waterfall Hiking Trail – Short walk to the waterfall and swim in rock pools – R5 p/p, Permits available at the Tourism Office
- Waverley Hills: 023 231 0002 – Short hike in fynbos – no cost: Enjoy a picnic in our Fynbos garden, explore the Cape Floral Kingdom on our hiking and mountain biking trails or purchase endemic plants from our Fynbos nursery
- Mountain Biking
- Silwerfontein: 079 500 1906 – Trails through the forest and around the dam.
- Waverley Hills: 023 231 0002 – Short mountain bike trail
- Wine by Bike: Vindoux Guest Farm: (R60 half a day) 023 2300 635 – Hire a bike and explore the Wine Route
- Kluitjieskraal MTB Route: Permits @ 7/11 in Wolseley – 023 231 0580
- MTB Routes in the Witzenberg valley – Permits can be obtained at the Shell shop, for more information visit www.tulbaghmtbclub.co.za, which will be up and running shortly
- Bicycle Hire at the Tulbagh Hotel and Vindoux Guest Farm
- Silwerfontein: 079 500 1906 – On the Voëlvlei dam
- Artois: 083 656 5752 – By Appointment
- Fraaigelegen: 083 288 4685 – By Appointment
- Horse Riding
- Horse About: 082 8849 881 – Spectacular scenery in the Witzenberg Mountains. Suitable for all ages. Breathtaking trails. Sunset & picnic rides. Monthly moonlight rides & private functions.
- Tulbagh Horse Trails: 023 230 0615 – Scenic rides on Vrolikheid Farm in the Winterhoek
- For the kids:
- Fynbos Guest Farm: 072 2234674 – By appointment – Come and meet a variety of farm animals from donkeys to goats, pigs and a wonderful variety of birds.
- Oude Kerk Volksmuseum – 023 230 1041 R15 p/p & R5 school children – Includes a visit to:
- The Old Church Museum – The oldest cross shaped form Church in South Africa and a fantastic collection of Cape furniture
- House No. 4 – The Earthquake Museum explores the valley’s history and how Tulbagh was rebuilt after the 1969 earthquake
- House No.14 – Victorian period house – Dining / smoking room and a bedroom furnished in a Victorian style
- House No. 22 – This Cape Dutch styled house has been recreated into a quaint home, reconstructing life as it was 200 years ago
- De Oude Drostdy Museum – 023 230 0203 – R10 p/p. Built in 1804 – This beautiful old building which was previously the town’s original Magistrate’s Court has historical Cape furniture, household articles and artwork, with wine tasting in the candle-lit old jail.
- Health and Wellness
- Heavenly Hands – Mobile Massage: Claire Hough – 079 523 5701 Enjoy a relaxing massage in the comfort of your own environment, be it indoors or outdoors! Offers Full Body Swedish massage, back & neck massage, Deep tissue massage & hot stone massages.
- Villa Tarentaal: 074 194 8202 – Offers Ingham reflexology massages, aromatherapy, facials and accommodation in delightful cottages.
- Vindoux day Spa: 023 2300 635 – Our highly qualified therapist will guide you through your healing journey with expert hands. Has a fully equipped gym, bio-kinetic evaluations, aerobic and Aqua classes
- Tulbagh Wine Route
- Visit the cellars on the Tulbagh Wine Route: Waverley Hills Organic Wine & Olive Estate, Manley Private Cellar, Rijk’s Private Cellar, Drostdy Hof Wines, Tulbagh Winery, Theuniskraal, Lemberg Wine Estate, Montpellier, Saronsberg, & Twee Jonge Gezellen – House of Krone; Twee Jonge Gezellen – House of Krone underground cellar tour: (023 2300 680); Mon – Fri: 11h00 and 15h00 Sat: 11h00
- Horse About Trails Tulbagh, Weltevrede Farm, Tulbagh (situated on the R46 between Tulbagh, Wolseley and Ceres), ☎ 0828849881, . by appointment. Join us for affordable, scenic horse trail rides in the Tulbagh Valley. Our trails are suitable for all ages and levels. Horse About offers trails from one hour to weekend and mini break escapes, in the foothills of the majestic Witzenberg Mountains. Riding lessons, children’s program, sunset and moonlight rides. Our well trained and responsive horses are suitable for all ages and levels. All trails are guided personally by the owners contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wine Shops- Tops @ Spar: 023 230 0122
- Olives & Olive Oil Products
- Waverley Hills – Wine & Olives: 023 231 1060
- Groote Vallei Olives: 023 230 0660
- Tulbagh Dried Fruit (023 2300960) – For top quality dried fruit & nuts
- Arts & Crafts
- African Art @ 29 Church Restaurant – 082 905 5390
- Cape East Asia – 023 230 0100
- Christo Coetzee Art Gallery – 082 457 0575 (By Appointment)
- Curios Cats @ Readers – 023 230 0087
- Lizards Gift Shop @ Tarzan Shoe Factory – 023 230 1083 – Open Saturday’s from 09h00 – 12h00 closed on Public Holidays
- Het Land van Waveren – Home Industry, gift & coffee shop
- Crystal Cave Tulbagh, 3 Buitekant Street Tulbagh 6820 (From the 4-way stop in the main road near Spar travel up Waveren Street past the church. Turn left at the next stop street into Buitekant Street. 3rd property on the left. Park in th estreet and ring the bell at the gate.), ☎ 072 270 6651, . Tuesdays - Saturdays 10:00 - 16:00 Sun and Mon by appt.. Local art and photography. Fine beadwork, pendants, charms, beads, jewellery, key-rings and gifts. Stones, crystals, fossils, birthstones, chakra stones, sun-catchers, chimes, pendulums, stone plant and candle-holders and lamps. Range of good quality essential oils. (-33.2821,19.1419)
Tulbagh offers various restaurants with menus from traditional Cape Dutch Cuisine, Continental Cuisine, Pastas and Pizzas. Have lunch in a Provincial Monument or on a Wine Estate with breathtaking views.
- Themika Guest Farm**, Tulbagh Road, ☎ +27 (0)78 567-2441 (email@example.com), . Stay at Themika guest farm and enjoy a weekend of relaxing, ideal for wedding groups and families. Average R220 ppn.
- Cape Dutch Quarters - Tulbagh (Tulbagh Country Guest House), 24 Church St, Tulbagh, 6820 (reception is at 33 Van Der Stel Road (Main/High Street)), ☎ 0232301171, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. A portfolio of heritage accommodation in historic Church Street, including B&B, Guest House and Self Catering accommodation options on 2, 3& 4 Star levels R225-R550pp.
- Alfa Apartments, 3 Buitekant Street - Tulbagh (From the main road, turn right into Waveren Street at the 4-way stop. Travel to next stop street and turn left into Buitekant Street. Alfa is the 3rd property on the left.), ☎ 023 2302977 or 072 270 6651, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:30. Clean, comfortable, spacious, well equipped apartments with secure undercover parking and views of the surrounding mountains. Self-catering or B&B. 2-sleeper unit R500, 3-sleeper unit R650, 4-sleeper unit R800. (-33.282162,19.141939)