The Tsitsikamma National Park  is situated in the heart of the famous Garden Route in South Africa. The park offers some fine coastal scenery and sometimes the option of whale-watching.
Beautiful nature in the Tsitsikamma NP.
Flora and fauna
Simply follow the N2 and use the exit to Tsitsikamma near Storms River.
The main bus companies as well as the Baz bus stop at the Total Petroport on the N2 next to the Paul Sauer bridge over the Storms River. This is about 15km away from the Storms River Mouth entrance and 55km from Nature's Valley entrance, but it is generally easy to hitch a lift from there. There is a Tsitsikamma information centre, curio shop, restaurant and fast-food outlet at the Petroport, as well as spectacular views over the Storms River Gorge. Not the worst place to get stuck for a short while when trying to hitch a ride.
By foot only. See Do section.
You will get a funny feeling when crossing the bridge.
- Storms River suspension bridge - The forest walkway towards the Storms River suspension bridge is currently closed for repairs after fire damage
- Forest Canopy Tour, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1836 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Every 45 minutes from 8AM to 3:45PM. See the indigenous forest from the tree tops, 30m up. R395 per person, this includes a meal and guides.
- Spirit of Tsitsikamma, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1607. Eco friendly boat cruise up the Storms River Gorge
- Otter Trail. 42km, 5 days and 4 nights with good overnight huts. You have to book ahead. Bookings can be taken a year in advance, which means that there are often last minute cancellations, so it's always worth seeing if you can get in at the last minute. Bring your own food and sleeping bags. You do not need tents. You need to be fairly fit as the trail follows the cliffs and hills along the coastline, dipping down to the rivers. What goes down must come up... It's beautiful and only 12 people are allowed on any one part of the hike, so it really is unspoilt and worth doing. Be prepared for a difficult river crossing on day three. Please check with the parks officials when low tide is and ask for advice on getting over the river.
- Dolphin Trail. 20km, 2 days and 3 nights. Fully catered accommodation.
There is also a long free-hanging bridge to the east of the camp. It is called Storms River Bridge, because it crosses the Storms River. It can often be seen on photographs, advertising the Tsitsikamma. It has been closed to the public since 2007, but repairs are ongoing.
A small shop in the park offers some groceries.
There is a restaurant and bar at both camps.
Some of the cabins at Storms River Mouth
There are two camps in the park. Be sure to book a accommodation before you arrive, especially during high-season.
- Nature's Valley Restcamp, ☎ +27 (0)44 531-6700 (email@example.com). Two bed huts with communal ablution facilities.
- Storms River Mouth Rest Camp, ☎ +27 (0)44 281-1607 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Self catering cabins and hotel style oceanettes. Serviced daily. Caravan and camp sites are also available
- Tsitsikamma Info Center - +27 (0)42 280-3561