Treviso ( French: Trévise, Latin: Tarvisium) is a city in northeastern Italy, and the capital of the province of the same name. It is in the eastern part of the Veneto region, north of Venezia and south of Belluno. The city itself has 82,399 inhabitants (2001), with about 170,000 inhabitants in the wider metropolitan area, while the province has 795,264 inhabitants.
Treviso is on the line connecting Venezia with Udine. A one way ticket to Venezia is less than €3 for the 30 km and half an hour trip.
Treviso is served by Venezia (Treviso) Airport (TSF) , which is mainly used by low cost companies like Ryanair.
In order to get from the airport to the Treviso Train Station (Treviso Centrale), you must get the line 6 bus .
Treviso is connected through the national highway network
- A4 - Torino-Milano-Venezia-Trieste
- A13 - Bologna-Padova
Many national/regional roads originate in or pass through the city.
Treviso is also connected with Venice through the Terraglio SS13 main road characterized by a beautiful green landscape and ancient villas advisable for easy biking tours and itineraries for cycling holidays.
Discovering the city on foot is very easy. The historic center is actually quite small, so you can go around in the narrow streets.
The local buses are ok, but by night there are quite few. Fares are €1 within Treviso Comune and €1.50 ouside.
It is better to avoid driving your own car, as there are lots of oneway streets in Treviso and a oneway ringroad around the walled city.
With the local rental bike shops you can make a good excursion at Palladian Villas. Ask locals for the Restera, a nice track all along Sile River. If you are brave, you can reach the Venetian Lagoon.
On Treviso region you can make an antique villas easy biking tour (some to see only from outside), ammong the best are:
- Villa Emo
- Villa Maser
- Villa Manfrin
- Villa Avogadro degli Azzoni
- Villa Passi
- Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti
- Villa Palazzi-Taverna
- Villa Valier-Loredan
- Villa de reali
- Villa Cà Zenobio
- Villa Minelli
- Villa Casa Quaglia
- Villa Lattes
- Seminario Vescovile di Treviso, in via S. Nicolò. Ask to go in the "Stanza affrescata" by Tommaso da Modena: on the wall, between others, there is the first monk painted with spectacles in the history of Painting.
- Eat Tiramisu. It was 'created' in Treviso, at Ristorante le Beccherie in Piazza Ancillotto. Unfortunately today there is no special place to eat Tiramisu. A Pasticceria near the Railway station has tiramisu made with savoyard biscuits, the original recipe.
Local food like radicchio rosso and wine, but it is better to shop in the small towns in the countryside.
Clothes and shoes: outlets are everywhere, if you go to Montebelluna, you will find shoe outlets (Geox, Diadora and so on).
- DiVino Osteria Trevigiana, Via Postumia Castellana, 2 (Quinto di Treviso), . A restaurant characterised by typical local cuisine, an exclusive design, a lively and welcoming environment and a spectacular display of all wines, that simply astonishes lovers of good wine.
- Muscoli's Osteria Trevigiana, Pescheria, 2. 9AM-midnight. An ancient hosteria in a charming place: in front of The island of fishmarket, right in the historic centre of Treviso. Local food include cicchetti, it means finger food and local people drink spritz, a light cocktail with prosecco wine, campari or aperol. €2-20.
- Gioja Lounge Bar, Via Postumia Castellana, 2 (Quinto di Treviso), . 8AM-midnight. Trendy location with WiFi Internet connection, happy hour 6PM-9PM and lounge bar 9PM-midnight. Live music on Thursdays.
- Osteria al Dazio, Via Cesare Battisti, 48 (Porta Calvi). 9AM-midnight. Nice place in an ancient tower of Dogana in Treviso town,in front of the Russian castle. The Osteria has a beautiful winter garden, and a terrced garden on the river Sile, if the weather is clement,you can seat at the charriot outside. Inside the tower, at the ceiling complete hams hung, waiting to be eaten! Good fingerfood, nice Prosecco and Raboso. Very interesting local place. €2-20.
- Basilico 13.
- Hotel Relais Monaco, Converted old Venetian villa.
- BHR Treviso Hotel, Via Postumia Castellana, 2 (Quinto di Treviso), . Four star business hotel close to Treviso airport, with free shuttle service to/from Treviso airport and Treviso centre.
- Ca' Maffio Hotel, Via Principe, 70, ☎ tel/fax +39 (0)422 780774. 14th century country house hotel in the nature park Fiume Sile, few kilometers away from Treviso and Venice." €90-220.
- Bed&Breakfast Appiani36, Viale Graziano Appiani 36 (Palazzo di giustizia), ☎ +39 0422542904 (email@example.com, fax: +39 0422 542904), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Homestay bed&breakfast at walking distance from the ancient walls of the historic centre of Treviso, free Wi-fi connection, very good capuccino, 3 km from Treviso Airport, 1 km from railway station. €25-75.
- Riviera del Brenta
- Conegliano and Valdobbiadene wine roads