Trakai is a town in Lithuania, located approximately 28 km south-west of its capital Vilnius and a former (the second known) capital city of Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Trakai is a very small town squeezed between the two lakes in the middle of scenic Trakai Historical National Park. It has earned enormous popularity among Lithuanians as a holiday destination, the image of Trakai Island Castle has almost become a trademark of Lithuania abroad.
- Trakai Tourism Information Centre is conveniently located near the bus and train stations Vytauto St 69, ☎ +370 528 51934, mobile +370 672 09476 (trakaiTIC@is.lt, fax: +370 528 51934). May-Aug Mo 09:00-17:00, Tu-F 9:00-18:00, Sa-Su 09:00-15:00; Sep M-Th 08:00-17:00, F 08:00-15:45, Sa-Su 09:00-15:00; Oct-Apr M-Th 08:00-17:00, F 08:00-15:45.
By train or by bus from Vilnius. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Tickets for the bus can be purchased at the bus station in Vilnius or directly from the driver and cost about 6 Litas (one way).
Trakai is located along Lithuanian road A16 (part of European Route E28) and therefore easily accessible by car.
The town is small enough for everything to be reached on foot, but there are also buses running from the bus station (where the buses from Vilnius also arrive/depart) to the castle.
- Trakai Island Castle Kęstučio St 4, ☎ +370 528 53941 (email@example.com). 10:00-19:00. A 14th century Gothic residence of Lithuanian dukes, reconstructed in a 15th century style, Gothic with some Renaissance features. Most famous castle in Lithuania, probably symbol of medieval Lithuania itself. Many concerts and plays during summer season. 15 LTL.
- Trakai Peninsula Castle. The older of the two castles of Trakai.
- St. Mary Church. An important church, originally gothic, but strongly altered during the Baroque period.
- Cycling around Galvė lake.
- Sailing on the Galvė lake.
Two main retail chains are represented in Trakai. Grocery stores:
- Maxima x, Vytauto St 68 (Centre), ☎ +370 528 51036. 08:00-22:00.
- Iki Trakai, Vytauto St 60 (Centre), ☎ +370 528 54628 (fax: +370 528 54631). 08:00-22:00.
- Suvenyrų parduotuvė Karaimai St 43-1.
Construction, interior and exterior decoration products:
- Senukai Vytauto St 56, ☎ +370 528 55477.
- Kybynlar, Karaimų str. 29, ☎ +370 528 55179, . Newly opened Karaitian cousine restaurant.
- Senoji kibininė, Karaimų str. 65, ☎ +370 528 55865 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 11.00 - 23.00. Oldest working restaurant dedicated to famous Karaitian dish, the kybyn. Opened in 1979. ~30 LTL. (54.650709,24.9242063)
- Apvalaus stalo klubas, Karaimu st. 53A, ☎ +370 528 55595, .