Cathedral as seen from the Belfry
Tournai is a city in Wallonia.
Tournai is famed for its impressive Romanesque Cathedral. It was also the only Belgian city to ever be controlled by the English Throne.
Tournai is served by regular trains from all over Belgium
From Brussels direct trains run every hour and take just under an hour.
Direct trains run to Lille just across the border in France, which has a Eurostar Station. Trains take 30-60 minutes
Paris is accessible with a change in just under two hours.
See here for more details and timtables
From Brussels Coaches would take around 1h 45m and require 2 changes
See here for timtables
The nearest Airport is Lille Lesquin which is served buy a few Budget Airlines heading to Milan, Warsaw, Leeds and Marrakesh
The airports of Brussels, Charleroi and Paris would also be useful.
Tournai is fairly compact and can be easily covered on foot.
There is a local bus service
- Cathedral is on the UNESCO World Heritage List as one of the best preserved Cathedrals in Northern Europe. It is reknowned for having one of the most impressive Romanesque naves in Europe and has a remarkable array of statues. The Gothic choir was a later addition. there is also a Treasury Museum attached
It open 9am - 12 Midday 2pm-5pm (6pm in summer)
Services 11am Weekdays 10am weekends
- Belfry offers great views across the city, especially over the nearby Cathedral. It is the oldest in Belgium and stands at 72 metres high. It offers very informative multi-lingal displays on the role of Belfries in the history of the region. The Belfry is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List as part of the Belfries of Belgium and France.
It is open the same times as the Cathedral, but closed on Mondays
- Museum of Fine Arts displays paintings by Ruebens, Van Gogh, Monet, Seurat and Watteau among others. They are displayed in a fine building designed by reknowed architect Victor Horta in the Beaux-Arts style.
- Guided tours, . The best way to discover one of the oldes cities of Belgium is a guided tour with an official guide of the association of touristical guides of Tournai.
-  GUIDED TOUR - to learn more about all the different kinds of guided tours we offer - English spoken- go to www.guidestournai.be the website of the town guides.
Learn more about the UNESCO-heritage (belfry tower, cathedral), visit the historic town centre or one of the many museums with one of our enthusiatic guides.