Midtown is a district in Toronto. It is roughly defined as bounded by Bloor Street to the south, Lawrence Avenue to the north, Oakwood Avenue to the west and Bayview Avenue to the east. The intersection of Yonge and Eglinton is the heart of Midtown.
Midtown isn't an area with a large number of museums, theatres, or other tourist attractions. The best way to enjoy it is to pretend that you live there, and enjoy the shops, restaurants, and cafes.
Taking the Yonge Subway Line to St. Clair, Davisville, Eglinton, or Lawrence station will put you in Midtown Toronto.
- The Ontario Science Centre, 770 Don Mills Road (at the corner of Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue East, by TTC: from Eglinton Station take the 34 Eglinton East bus to Don Mills), +1 416 696-1000 or toll free 1-888-696-1110, . Sa-Mo 10AM-5PM, Tu-Fr 10AM-6PM. Explore science (mainly aimed towards children ~8-14) in a fun and exciting way. Adults $17, Youth (13-17 years) $12.50, Child (4-12 years) $10, children 3 and under free.
- Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens, east side of Yonge Street, just south of Lawrence Avenue (Subway: Lawrence), +1 416 392-8188. Nice rose gardens. The gardens provide access to the Blythwood Ravine and Sherwood Park, which are forested areas with trails that are good for running or a leisurely walk.
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery, 375 Mount Pleasant Road (Subway: Davisville), +1 416 485-9129. The cemetery has miles of walking paths and is the resting place of many famous people, including former prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King, pianist Glenn Gould, the co-discoverers of insulin Frederick Banting and Charles Best, and Timothy Eaton. Walking tours of the cemetary are available (Muddy York Walking Tours, ).
Take this self-guided Discovery Walk through the area's parks, the Don Valley Ravines and Mt Pleasant Cemetery (PDF map). This walk is 11km long and takes about 3 hours to complete. You can just do a portion of the walk if you prefer. There will be signs along the way to indicate that you're on the Discovery Walk route. For safety in the ravines, take a friend with you.
- Yonge St. from Eglinton to Briar Hill Avenue has large retailers as well as luxurious jewelry shops.
- Mt. Pleasant south of Eglinton has a number of interesting craft shops.
- Bayview Avenue south of Eglinton forms its own little village with distinct cafes and hobby shops.
- The Yonge-Eglinton Centre, 2300 Yonge Street (at Eglinton Ave, above Eglinton subway station), +1 416 489-2300, , is the most conveniently located mall, though it's best for essentials - there is a Metro grocery store (open 24/7), a dry cleaner, a pharmacy/drugstore, and an LCBO liquor store.
There are a lot of restaurant choices in Midtown, ranging from some of Toronto's best (and priciest) restaurants to neighbourhood establishments. Midtown also has some of the best pastry shops in the city.
- Caffe Demetre, 188 Eglinton Ave East (one block west of Mt Pleasant), +1 416 485-4610, . Mo-Th 8AM-midnight, F 8AM-2AM, Sa 9AM-2AM, Su 9AM-midnight. Brunch, light meals and dessert - crepes, waffles and sundaes with cute names. The ice cream is homemade and very good. Good for late night dessert cravings.
- The Flaky Tart, 711 Mount Pleasant, +1 416 484-8278. Known for their fruit and savoury pies, and butter tarts.
- Jules Patisserie, 617 Mount Pleasant, +1 416 481-1666. Yummy croque monsieur. Good almond croissants and friendly service. Limited seating, cafeteria-like atmosphere.
- Rahier Patisserie, 1586 Bayview Avenue (two blocks south of Eglinton Ave.), +1 416 482-0917. W-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 8AM-4PM, Su 8AM-3PM. Excellent croissants.
- Patisserie La Cigogne, 1626 Bayview Avenue, +1 416 487-1234.
- Thobors Boulangerie Patisserie Café, 623 Mount Pleasant, +1 416 544 1733, . W-Su 7:30AM-6:30PM. Sit-down café with excellent croissants, especially the chocolate ones.
- Good Bite Restaurant, 2463 Yonge Street, +1 416 483-8432, . Cheap American diner, surprisingly good food. Daily, 7AM-10PM.
- Granite Brewery, 245 Eglinton Ave East (SE corner of Eglinton and Mt Pleasant, free underground parking off Mt Pleasant), +1 416 322-0723, . M 11:30AM-Midnight, Tu-Sa 11:30AM-1AM, Su 11AM-Midnight. Beer brewed in house, outdoor patio. Entrees $10.50-20.95.
- Hollywood Gelato, 1640 Bayview Avenue (south of Eglinton Ave.), +1 416 544-9829. Excellent gelato.
- Il Gelatiere, 647 Mt Pleasant Avenue (south of Eglinton Ave.), +1 416 488-2663. Closed Mondays. Excellent gelato.
- Sushi Rock Cafe, 2329 Yonge Street (just north of Eglinton Ave.), +1 416 483-3888. Fantastic sushi. $10-20 a meal.
- Tabüle, 2009 Yonge Street (just north of Davisville), +1 416 483-3747, . Great Middle Eastern. Try the $9 lunch combo plate (hummus, babaganuj, tabule and falafel). Reservations recommended.
- Centro Grill and Wine Bar, 2472 Yonge Street, +1 416 483-2211. Fancy restaurant where celebrities often eat when they're in town. Reservation required. Expect at least $100/person.
- North 44, 2537 Yonge Street, +1 416 487-4897. M-Sa: 5PM-midnight. Very pricey.
- Zucca Trattoria, 2150 Yonge Street (just south of Eglinton Avenue), (416) 488-5774, . Homemade pasta, seasonal Italian menu.
Yonge and St. Clair:
- Scallywags, just west of Yonge Street on St. Clair. A vibrant pub with an excellent and heated patio.
- Fox and the Fiddle, Yonge Street and Heath Street. Has extensive patios.
Yonge and Eglinton:
- Bulldog Coffee, 55 Eglinton Ave. East, three blocks east of Yonge. Best coffee north of Bloor St. Really fresh baked goods; lattes just about perfect.
- The Duke of Kent, Yonge Street at Roehampton Ave (one block north of Eglinton). A traditional British pub favoured by many expatriates. Excellent food and a small patio.
- 6 Degrees, Yonge Street, just north of Roehampton Ave. A newer nightclub. Similar to Clubland venues but with a Midtown feel. Only worthwhile (and open) on weekend evenings. A good feel for downtown clubs without all the fuss.
- Mystique Lounge, Yonge Street, south of Eglinton at Manor Road. Midtown's only strip club. Not a bad time.
To say that there are very few accommodation options in the area would be an understatement. It's better to choose a downtown hotel and travel to midtown.
- Best Western Roehampton Hotel, 808 Mount Pleasant Road (at Eglinton Avenue), +1 416 487-5101 or 1 800 387-8899, . Fitness center, heated rooftop pool. Near two large high schools. Expect to pay at least $100.00/night.
- Crowne Plaza Toronto Don Valley, Crowne Plaza Toronto Don Valley (Don Mills and Eglinton), +1 416 449-4111 or toll-free 1-877-474-6835, . Slightly outside our definition of Midtown. Close to the Ontario Science Centre. Indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna. On-site cafe and restaurant. 9-hole golf course nearby. In-room internet access. $140+/night.
Northern District Library, 40 Orchard View Blvd (just off Yonge, one block north of Eglinton). +1 416 393-7610. Computers with internet access.