Torgiano is a town in Umbria, 10 km southeast of Perugia. It is mainly famous as the headquarters of the wine producer, Lungarotti and for its wine museum, which should not be missed by anyone interested in wine.
Torgiano: the torre or tower from which Torgiano gets its name
Torgiano is slightly to the east of the E45 highway. From the direction of Rome take a right turn after passing Deruta. There are several ways of reaching it from Perugia but the easiest is to follow signs to the E45, direction Rome, and then follow signs to Torgiano.
Bus Line E012 goes from Piazza Partigiani in Perugia to close to Lucignano.
Torgiano is an important winemaking town and was the first winemaking area in Umbria to obtain the Italian wine certification mark (Denomination of Origin or DOC). It is an uncrowded place and an attractive village to just stroll around.
- Wine museum (MUVIT). Set up by the Lungarotti family in 1974 the museum The official website contains a wide range of wine-making equipment including a giant 17th Century press which was in use until the museum was set up. The 3000 plus exhibits go back to Etruscan and Roman times, with numerous amphorae on display. The importance of the area around Torgiano as a major ceramic centre is also well reflected in the exhibits. There are also many books and other documents on the subject of wine. Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 31 Summer: 9.00-13.00 / 15.00-19.00; Winter: 9.00-13.00 / 15.00-18.00. Euros 4.50
- Olive and Olive Oil Museum. Also owned by the Lungarotti Foundation. Via Garibaldi, 10. Same opening hours as the wine museum. Combined ticket for the two museums Euros 7.00 Official website
- Le Tre Vaselle Resort&SPA. Also owned by the Lungarotti family, this is a famous five-star hotel with an excellent restaurant. Via Garibaldi 48, Torgiano Tre Vaselle web site.
- Hotel al Grappolo D’oro, Via Principe Umberto, 22 Tel +39.075.982253 Fax +39.075.9887385 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . Three-star hotel in the centre of the village.
- Torgiano 2000. One-star hotel. Via Assisi 15 Torgiano Tel. 75985147.
- Relais Borgo Brufa & SPA , Via del Colle 38 - Brufa - Torgiano PG - Telefono +39 075985267, . Borgo Brufa is a hillside resort with good views of the surrounding areas.
- Poggio alle vigne, charming farmhouse with a good views of the surrounding vineyards. Via del Colle, 46 - Brufa - Torgiano (PG) - Telefono +39 075 982994, Poggio alle vigne web site
Torgiano is a relaxed and interesting location to base yourself for trips around the many fascinating towns of Umbria. It is within easy reach of Perugia, Assisi, and Gubbio.