| || |
| || |
Revision as of 09:31, 14 December 2009
Tiree is the westernmost island of the Inner Hebrides.
- Scarinish, from which ferries sail to Arinagour on Coll and to Oban on the mainland.
- Crossapol where 'Tiree Airport is located.
- Other settlements include Hynish and Sandaig, which boast museums.
The island is approximately 12 miles (19km) long and 3 miles (5km) wide. The terrain is mostly flat and it enjoys a mild climate with average annual hours of sunshine well above the average for the UK.
- Flybe (operated by Loganair), . Flights operate at least twice daily (weekdays only in winter) to Tiree airport (TRE) from Glasgow International (GLA), which has good domestic and international connections.
- Caledonian MacBrayne, . Sail to Tiree from Oban, with most sailings also serving the island of Coll. The crossing takes about 4 hours. Daily sailings in summer (Apr-Oct); Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun only in winter. One sailing per day plus on some days the Oban - Barra boat also calls at Tiree.
Gordon Scott's Isle of Tiree Diary daily website: www.tiree.blogspot.com