Thale is a town in the Harz Mountains in central Germany.
It is believed that Thale emerged at the beginning of the 10th Century and was first mentioned in 936 in connection with Wendhausen abbey, however the abbey was later destroyed in 1525 due to the Peasant’s war.
Records have shown that from 1445 there was a working ironworks which was rebuilt in 1648 and it was partially destroyed during the Thirty Years War, it was completely destroyed in 1670. However it was later rebuilt in a small hammer mill due to the close proximity of the ore deposits and availability of wood, this lasted until 1714. Thale has always had a connection with the iron industry which shows in the number of workers it had, it went from 350 in 1872 to 4,400 in 1905. From 19616 Tale produced steel helmets and during the Second World War Thale had the monopoly on the product.
Tourism only started to flourish from the 19th Century onwards this was due to the Hubertus spring which opened in 1836.
- Leipzig Airport is east of Thale and is around 120km (roughly one hour and twenty five minutes) and is 20km away from Leipzig city centre. There are a number of international and national flights that take place.
- Hanover Airport, in Hanover, is about 154km south of Thale (roughly one hour and forty drive). The airport is situated in Langenhagen which is 11 kilometres to the north of Hanover centre and has easy access to the autobahn.
Thale is very close to Quedlinburg and Blankenburg and in the north /east of the Harz. Thale is just off the B6, which is a newly build road connecting the East with the West.
- North A7 direction Kassel, take Exit A2 direction Braunschweig, then continue A391 towards A39, head towards B6 via A395. Follow direction Thale.
- South / west On the A7 direction Hannover take exit 66 to Goslar B82 and B6, Thale is sign posted.
- East Take the A14 exit 10 direction Aschersleben, then follow B185 to Aschersleben, take theB6 and then L240, Thale is sign posted
The main station (Hauptbahnhof) is in the west of the town, on Bahnhofstr 1 From there you can take trains to major cities. Check Train timesfor routes.
You can take buses to any major cities and places around Harz. The Busbahnhof (main busstation) is near the Hauptbahnhof. The bus service goes via Q Bus. Check for routes and timings
- Walpurgis, Musestieg 28, ☎ +4939475527, . 30 April. Witches are believed to ride on broomsticks to places of old pagan sacrifices in the Harz Mountains, however it is now one big party and a chance for everyone to dress up as witches and devils.
- International Folklore Festival for Children, Steinbachstr. 6, ☎ +493947941341 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +4939477729486), . Late Jul-Aug. The market place brings together singers, musicians and dancers from throughout the world.
- Kletterwald, Goetheweg, ☎ +4917696609538, . May-Aug 09:00-20:00 Oct-Apr Tue-Fri 13:00 to sunset Sat-Sun 09:00 to sunset. Why not climb over rickety bridges, leaps from ropes in nets, ride on the cable cars and jump on bars and tires. Adult €18, Child €15 and under 12's €12.
- Walking - Hexenstieg, Osterode, . Discover the whole of the harz on this 97km walk which starts in Osterrode and ends in Thale.
- Mountain Biking. There are a number of different biking tours you can take part in. Alternatively you can take the cable car up to the start of the best downhill biking track.
- Fishing, Bode Valley, . Clear mountain lakes and reservoirs and cold mountain streams give is the ideal surrounding to do spot of fishing. You can do coarse and fly fishing here, where you can catch Trout, Pike, Bream, Carp, Perch and many more. Fishing license between €8-€30.
- Mini Golf, Goetheweg 1, ☎ +4939472500 (email@example.com). Miniature golf course via the cable car.
- Athos, Rudolf-Breitscheid-Str. 22, ☎ +4939472728, . Mon 17:30-23:00, Tue-Thu & Sun 11:30-14:00 17:30-23:00 Fri-Sat 17:30-24:00. A warm and inviting restaurant that serves Greek food. Mains €8-€18.
- Gasthaus Konigsruhe, Hirschgrund 1, ☎ +4939472726, . Restuarant serves hearty healthy homemade food using local produce.
- Berghotel Rosstrappe, Rosstrappe 1, ☎ +4939473011, . Nov-Apr 10:00-18:00 May-Oct 10:00-22:00.
- Hotel Alice, Walpurgisstraße 26, ☎ +493947400640, . Tue-Sun 10:00-14:00 17:30-22:00. This stylish restaurant offers typical German food. It is possible to enjoy your food on the terrace in the summer months.