Tecate  is a small city in Baja California (state) on the border with California, about an hour east of Tijuana. Unlike most US/Mexico border crossings, there is no town on the US side.
From San Diego, take Highway 94 east.
From Tijuana, Take the toll road ("cuota") that parallels Mexico Highway 2, 30 miles east. Highway 2 then leads east about 80 miles to Mexicali by way of the notorious "Rumorosa Grade".
From Ensenada take Mexico Highway 3 east. The highway is two lanes and is about a 75 minute drive to the border crossing.
Tecate's border crossing is probably the easiest in California. You can pay a few dollars to park at one of the lots on the US side and walk across the border. It can also be an alternative border crossing to get back into the US; it's less crowded than the San Ysidro and Otay Mesa border crossings (to get back into the US). It will be a long drive from Tijuana, but it will save you some time.
- US Customs Border Crossing Station 
- Rancho La Puerta  health spa. The Golden Door is another Spa that was later established by Deborah Szekely, a co-founder of Rancho La Puerta.
- The yearly Tecate-Ensenada bike ride.
- California Motorsport Adventours Based in San Diego. Off road adventure tours for people of all riding abilities. Everyone welcome: families, couples, friends, single riders, bachelor and corporate groups. Full day excursions or longer tours available also. Ride in the dunes and then enjoy a guided adventure into the surrounding mountain trails. Our trips out to Tecate are 2 to 4 days long. Contact the office for reservations and inquiries.
Tecate has a central shopping plaza, but those crossing the border and looking for souvenirs will be disappointed.
Tecate is home to the namesake Tecate Brewery , which offers tours.
- The Vinicola L.A. Cetto winery, along Highway 3, offers tours.
- California Motorsport Adventours Off road adventure tours to the LA Cetto WInery. Begin the San Diego or Puerto Nuevo Baja. Minimum 4 riders. Contact the office for reservations.
- Guadelupe Canyon hot springs, with nearby hiking and petroglyphs, is located 30 miles down a dirt road east of La Rumorosa.