Tarifa is in the province of Cadiz in the Andalucia region of Spain. It is located on the southernmost point of the European continent, only 14 km from the coasts of North Africa.
Known throughout the world as a Mecca for Windsurfing this charming white Andalusian town has only been mildly spoiled by the mass touristic developments which have ravaged the coasts of most of Spain. Much of the surrounding coastline is still protected by Spanish law and a few kilometres to the west of the town are two of Spain's most beautiful beaches.
Local coaches run to Cadiz and Algeciras, where you can connect with buses for the Andalucian cities of Cordoba, Seville and Granada.
High speed ferries make the 35 minute trip to Tangier, Morocco.
There are many fast hydrofoils daily on FRS Ferry Serice from Tangiers for about 37 Euros one way or 67 Euros round-trip (as of November 2010). As you go through customs, there are free buses waiting in the parking lot to Algeciras
Tarifa is situated between the best golfcourses of Europe, at the Atlantic side you find Dehesa Montenmedio and Benalup golf & country club(www.benalupgolf.com) . Both courses are set in a natural envoirement.
At the Mediterranea side you find the only links course here in the south, Alcaidesa Golf club. The world famous Valedrrama en Sotogrande.
- the Beach with views of Morocco and either side of the Atlantic and Mediterranean
- Go for a whale-watching tour! Resident species (can be seen all year) include the Common dolphin, Striped dolphin, Bottlenose dolphin and Pilot Whale. Semi-resident species (presence related to feed periods) include the Killer whale - Orca (between July and September), Sperm whale (mostly between March and July). Migratory species (cross the strait in their migratory routes) include the Fin whale (mostly between May and July).
Strong winds and good waves make Tarifa an attractive spot for water and wind sports. You can also take Spanish lessons.
Te best combination of services and wind, Tarifa is well known as a test center or training place for most of the brands and pro riders, but is good to for beginners too, you will find windsurf centers from Los Lances beach to Valdevaqueros and Bolonia, depending on the wind direction you will have to choose the one that suits better your level, the conditions can vary from 3 kms distances so ask the locals, the will friendly recommend the best spot for the day. Most of the centers open from March to October but you will find some, like the Surf Center in Hotel Arte Vida, that open all year around.
Some days windsurfing in Tarifa can become unforgettable for you, cruising in the Strait of Gibraltar waters, with such beautiful views of the African Continent, thinking in the history of this channel and even feeling the magical enviroment and ambient, mix of African-Flamenco fusions... I Promise you will become an addict of this town, well known is that from that day you always want to come back.
For sure the best spot in Europe for practicing this sport, the mix of good winds, kilometers of perfect beaches and a full service of professional schools and rental centers makes Tarifa that place, from flat waters for begginers or freestylers to waves for kite - surfing adicted, everybody is suited in this waters just choose your spot... from Tarifa town to Caños de Meca you will find a beautiful spot that suits your needs, but only in Tarifa Shops ussing the take away service or closer spots like Dos Mares, Arte Vida, or Valdevaqueros were you will find Centers with all the services you can need. You can even find places with kindergarden service.
- Surfski A new sport in Tarifa. Paddling between two continents “The Strait of Gibraltar” Recommended by Oscar Chalupsky, 13 times world champion. The best spot to paddle is in front of Hotel Arte Vida.
- Swim in both the Atlantic and Mediterranean.
- Windsurfingclasses has lessons for groups or individuals, 0034 600 654 436.
- Food is generally good in Tarifa- especially fish. Try going for the places filled with locals. They are generally easy to pick out from tourists (both Spanish and foreign). Some of the best places in Tarifa also happen to be the cheapest. Don't forget to try the local Tuna, swordfish and, especially, the "Tortillas de camarón", typical of the coast of Cadiz. "Ortigas" (sea nettles) are another local specialty.
- The best restaurant in the old city is called Mandragora, located on Independencia (a small alleyway between the city wall and the Cathedral). It is not cheap, but the food was the best we had in Spain, and it is filled with locals.
- There is a restaurant near a village Facinas, a few kilometres to the north from Tarifa. Just follow the road to Cadiz and in about 10-12 km there will be a right turn to Fasinas (which is in turn a beautiful one spread on a foothills in the form of a cross) with a hardly noticeable sign. This restaurant is located just before the village i.e. a kilometre or two away from the main road. It is a meat restaurant with extremely delicious dishes, especially meat ones, and very friendly waitstaff. The portions are rich and generous. Prices are about 25-30 euros with wine (35 tops to full you completely), for two persons. The place is sometimes (mainly at weekends) crowded with locals watching football matches on TV or having talks to each other. One of the best restaurant in this region. Nobody speaks English there, so be prepared.
- Mojitos The best Mojitos you got at the Beach Club of Hotel Arte Vida,
- Bar la Tribu Playa
A variety of medium priced hostels by (cheap) Spanish standards. Touts work around the bus station and port offering various accommodations, including sleeping space on rooftops!
- Camping is available outside of town, but you'll need a car.
- Hostal Alameda  Situated in the centre of Tarifa, this comfortable cosy hostal offers all services you expect from an Hostal. Near the harbour and all facilities.
- Hotel La Mirada  Nice English-speaking staff, new construction, decent location. 40 euros a night for a single room with a good en suite bathroom and flat-screen TV when I stayed there. Calle San Sebastian 41.
- Dos Mares Apartment  A stylish two bedroom apartment in Tarifa, with balcony amazing views, swimming pool, storage for equipment, close to town and windsurf/ kitesurf beaches. Visit English Owned and managed
- Hotel Arte Vida, CN 340 km 79.3, ☎ 956684652, . This cosy hotel is Situated at the most spectaculair beach of Europe, Los Lances. Great views over the Strait of Gibraltar. The restaurant of Arte Vida is well known for the fresh fish and the ambient. Don`t mis the sunset celebration parties at the beach  club
- Pension Facundo. Great hostel to accomodate backpackers and travellers on a budget. €20/night for a bed in the dorm or more for a nice private room (14/07/10). The hostel cares for hygiene and maintains cooking facilities and free internet for travellers. Staff has problems speaking English but that's a part of the charm in travelling.
- The port of tarifa  gathers every year more and more passengers.Tanger is often seen as an extension of the Costa del Sol. One day trips to Tanger are very popular and many travel agents offer guided tours. Tanger is a magical city, living the adventure feeling.