| This article has Star potential. It’s well written with great information. However, for Star status it needs both to be entirely complete and to perfectly match the Manual of style. If you see how it can be improved, please plunge forward or point it out on the talk page.
I feel that I have to add Borobudur and Prambanan to the See section as these two attractions are Yogyakarta icon, and really close to Yogyakarta. To go to these places, probably it will took less than 1 hour trip.
I'm not sure this whill conform the Wikitravel guidelines though.
- By Wikitravel guidelines they belong in and are listed under Get out, which is for nearby places of interest. I think it's OK to mention & link to them under Understand though. Jpatokal 22:53, 31 Jul 2005 (EDT)
Need more content?
Is there anything I can do to improve this article? I'd love to help ;)
- You're doing a great job -- but there's always room for more! Some pictures would be nice, exact addresses of sights and restaurants, more details for prices of things (how much does an andong ride or a plate of gudeg cost?), and if you get really bored then draw a map! Jpatokal 09:07, 31 Jan 2006 (EST)
- I've reaarranged few elements a bit to make this article looks less like a catalog. I also added few bits of infoormation. Still needs lots of work though. Let see if I can add a map tommorow. Hermansaksono
- This article is becoming really, really good! I've nominated it for Destination of the Month. The two more things missing are some pictures of the Kraton and adding the hotels/restaurants/sights into the map. Could you also upload the original SVG of the map? Jpatokal 23:10, 4 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Great! I'll try adding more legends on the map. I have problem obtaining a good Kraton picture though. Hermansaksono 00:16, 5 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Hve you tried a Creative Commons images like Flickr? Majnoona 12:50, 10 Feb 2006 (EST)
- I have digged flickr for Yogyakarta iamges, but I didn't manage to find anything useful. I do find one good picture, I have contacted the artist for his/her permission, but he/she hasn't replied back. :) Hermansaksono 19:44, 10 Feb 2006 (EST)
Museum? Hot or Not?
I'd like to elaborate a little on the Museum section, but I have a big dilema:
Yogyakarta do have several museums, but personally I don't find those museums really special (this is a personal opinion). Its worth the visit if you stayed in Yogya for 1-2 months, or more, but if you are going to spend 2-4 days in Yogya, those museum are not worth the visit Hermansaksono 10:05, 10 Feb 2006 (EST).
- If I were you, I would go ahead and list them and give your personal opinion. That type of information is of value to the traveler so they don't waste their time, but also it provides the listing so if someone is looking for a certain type museum, the information will be there. If others disagree, then they can make changes, but it is likely others will agree with your observations. -- Tom Holland (xltel) 10:00, 10 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Actually, we like to avoid negative reviews and anything first person (ie "my opinion"). But that said, it still might be worth listing them for museum fans, but mention that the are small or have a small collection or what ever elseit is tat makes it unspecial to you... hope this helps!Majnoona 11:49, 10 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Some visitors have reported that it's name Gabah Resto seems to be a play of the words " Gay Bar".
I don't think this bit is worth mentioning. I think its ok to mention GLBT places, but telling the origin of restaurant's name (from uncited source), is irrelevent. Beside, Gabah doesn't rhyme with Gay bar. 188.8.131.52 05:53, 4 March 2006 (EST)
Gabah is Rice shell in Bahasa Indonesia.
I've removed the following per our Wikitravel:Avoid negative reviews. We should stick with places we want people to go to, unless it fits into one of the exceptions. Thanks Maj 13:09, 16 August 2006 (EDT)
- Ibis Malioboro, Jl. Malioboro 52-58, Yogyakarta. Central location, somewhat grotty bathrooms, and grottier collars on reception staff uniforms.
- I've put it back in. There aren't that many hotels listed, and Ibis is usually a pretty reliable midrange chain. Jpatokal 01:33, 23 August 2006 (EDT)
This was added as its own article: You can go see the grave of Sultan Hamengkubowono IX, which is situated in a shrine inside the Capital Building of Yogyakarta. This unique form of worship of a leader who has died is still practiced devoutely by the people of Yogyakarta. The reason being that this leader stood for everything that the people of Yogyakarta believe in and his legacy will go down in history. In 1856 Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX was proclaimed the greates leader Yogyakarta has ever had, which is why it was decided to place his body inside the building that represents his cities beliefs.
However, Hamengkubuwono IX died in 1988, not 1856, and is buried in Imogiri, not "the Capital Building" (where?). Jpatokal 01:44, 23 October 2006 (EDT)
Yogyakarta is more a passive tourist destination. I can come up with many things to see, but cant come up with things to do. Anyone? hermansaksono 23:04, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
i'm sorry, but I dont think a link to Yogyes.com does not deserve a place at the top of this article and next to the first word. 23:19, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
- Why not? Give a reasonable and objective explanation.
- Yogyes is not the official website for Yogyakarta. Its an ad funded travel guide website aimed specific for Yogyakarta. Sure it deserve some merit, but really it doesnt belong at the top of the page. We can move it to the externeal links section. Actually, it used to be on the external links section but the admin removed it. hermansaksono 09:40, 2 April 2007 (EDT)
- Official or unofficial, ad funded or tax funded (or even donation funded), they didn't change the fact that yogyes.com has vast useful information about Yogyakarta tourism. (Fine, let's change it to i-mobilecity.com. LOL)
- You made my point. Who deserve to be linked at the beginning at the page? ;) Please read the guideline on external linking. External link to a non-primary source is basically a no-no.hermansaksono 13:32, 4 April 2007 (EDT)
I saw that this article was nominated for star status, and was rejected for several reasons. Most of the criticism has been fixed and I was wondering if there are anything else to be improved to have Yogyaakrta renominated?
Thanks hermansaksono 00:22, 21 September 2007 (EDT)
- On a very quick skim, I noted that there are a few eat (and maybe sleep) listings that lacked pricing information. Also, I'm pretty sure that we would require either a full address, or directions (which should appear in italics within parentheses) for all listings—we're not quite there yet. This is a fantastic article, and I think that it could be made into a star fairly quickly. But lets work on it a bit more first, and discuss what still needs to be done and when to nominate here before actually nominating it. --Peter Talk 03:47, 21 September 2007 (EDT)