Regions and Cities Names - Alternative Spellings
I noticed that one anonymous user made a spelling change to a city name, orphaned Doneck, then someone else put it back, duplicating the city in the list. I fear the next thing to happen is that another person will write a second article about the same place and decide it isn't in the list at all, so add a third spelling alternative. I do not want to be a revisionist historian, going around and changing all the new names back into the old ones (or vice versa), making a complete idiot of myself and offending the culturally (in)sensitive, so some suggestions are needed about what the cities and regions should (and could) be called before things go too far.
I have already identified the following alternative spellings for several of the Ukrainian cities and regions, such as:
- Kiev can also be spelt either informally as Kyiv or more formally as Kyyiv
- Doneck is apparently the soviet era name for the city named Donetsk or Donets'k, while the surrounding region is probably called Donets'ka (Oblast).
- Odessa or Odesa, depending on who you believe. (Personally I think 2 ses is more traditional while 1 s is more recent.)
- Sevastopol, has also been known historically as Sebastopol from before the Crimean war...
Also most of the regions are named after their main cities. Can we please reach a consensus on the regional and city names? Even the CIA and other authorities appear confused on this subject and at odds with the Google popularity contest. I feel I need to make some arbitrary decisions and would prefer not to do so. I would welcome some input from others. -- Huttite 19:51, 21 Jan 2005 (EST)
- Looking into Getty resources
- -- JanSlupski 20:14, 30 Jan 2005 (EST)
- Ukranians use Одєса while Russians use Одєсса. (One 's' instead of two) I don't know about the transliteration, but inside Ukraine they're trying to make the Ukranians transliterations count. I think it's clearer for a tourist to stick with the way it's written in Ukranian guides, but this means changing the majority of this site--Twopeak
"The cheaper the hotel, the larger the chance of some quite unfortunate surprises"
Anyone care to elaborate? 22.214.171.124 19:28, 9 Nov 2005 (EST)
Should a more detailed explanation of the Orange Revolution be provided? I was fascinated by the events - I still have International Herald Tribune newspapers detailing the revolution - and I think it would benefit the traveller to somewhat more fully understand the events of the revolution. I've prepared an explanation that can be viewed in my sandbox. Thoughts on that or the wording I've prepared? -- Sapphire 10:57, 8 November 2006 (EST)
BIG Mistake - monkeys
>One of the worst problems is that there have been frequent monkey attacts, and the Ukrainian government are having trouble controlling these rabid beasts.
THATS NOT TRUE, totally! Ukraine nature haven't monkeys, only in zoo!!!