Since Phuket is both a province and a city, shouldn't this page be disamb.? For reasons of completeness I think it would be a good idea. However since the province is rather small, I can see why it was not yet chosen to be disamb.. Just wanted to see what other people think. -- Fido 17:21, 16 Sep 2004 (GMT+6)
- Phuket the island and Phuket the province are identical, so I don't really see the point of disambiguating. Phuket Town can be shifted out into Phuket Town if it ever grows large enough. Jpatokal 06:32, 16 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Agreed -- Fido 17:51, 16 Sep 2004 (GMT+6)
The following interesting comment was posted into "ภูเก็ต":
จังหวัดหนึ่งในภาคใต้ เป็นเกาะที่ใหญ่ที่สุดของประเทศไทย มีแหล่งท่องเที่ยวที่มีชื่อเสียง เช่น หาดป่าตอง หาดกะตะ หาดกะรน หาดราไวย์ แหลมพรหมเทพ เป็นต้น
Oh my. Is that so? Jpatokal 13:38, 15 May 2006 (EDT)
Transiting via Changi?!
Going from Bangkok to Phuket via Singapore makes absolutely no sense any way you look at it; it adds a minimum of three hours of flight and transfer time, and there's no way you can fly BKK-SIN-HKT even on the cheapest LCCs so that it's competitive even with TG's standard 2000B rate, much less Nok and Air Asia specials. SIN airport taxes & charges alone comes to about US$20! Jpatokal 01:57, 16 May 2006 (EDT)
Shouldn't the first sentence of this article say how to pronounce the island's name? I'm pretty sure it's not pronounced like its English spelling would suggest, but I don't know how it is pronounced. 188.8.131.52 02:29, 16 May 2006 (EDT)
- Yes, it should, and it does now. Jpatokal 06:55, 16 May 2006 (EDT)
Phuket is a thai name for the original name Bukit, of Malay origins, meaning, hill, mountain.
Nowadays, phonetic spelling is
Help with sleep listings
Opinons please as to which Phuket article these 2 should go into (taken out of the main article):
- Absolute Chandara Resort & Spa, 99/1 Moo 6, Ban Ao Por, Pa Khlok, Thalang, Phuket, Thailand 83110, ☎ (0)7631 7800, . Absolute Chandara Resort & Spa in Phuket, Thailand is located less than a kilometer from Ao Por Bay. It is also just 20 minutes from the international airport and 30 minutes from the town. Each spacious accommodation also has a dining area, toilet and bath, kitchenette with refrigerator, and living room/ lounge. Rates start at THB 5000.
- Laem Sai Garden Beach Resort (แหลมทราย การ์เดน บีช รีสอร์ท) 33/9 Km.3, Mueang Mai-Laem Sai Road (Tel: 0 7621 7120, 0 7621 0193 Bangkok Tel: 0 2514 1011), www.laemsai-resort.com, 40 rooms: 1,500-5,000 baht
Chandra is on the northeast cape - don't think we have a district for that area, Laem Sai is closed, I say to hell with them, we have enough listings as it is. --Stefan (sertmann) Talk 08:55, 20 October 2009 (EDT)
- To hell with them it is :). I also took all the bar listings out of Phuket. All except 1 were Patong and I dumped them there. Frankly they are rubbishy listings and could all be deleted with no loss to the site.--Burmesedays 09:07, 20 October 2009 (EDT)
- We had a major dump by the Thai Tourism Authority before I joined up, which has basically wrecked all of Thailand, simply cause it's so massive and don't contain many individual details/reviews. I think it has been agreed that it's open season on all that content. --Stefan (sertmann) Talk 09:12, 20 October 2009 (EDT)
Remove TAT clutter
I've moved some TAT clutter and placed them at Talk:Phuket/Listings for future reference. --globe-trotter 17:40, 5 February 2010 (EST)
Destinations on Phuket
I'm not really happy with the current regional scheme of Phuket. Does every beach really need its own page? In Bali (a star region), a similar region such as Bukit Peninsula has the same size as Phuket, but the beaches are listed on the See page. Now I know Phuket has more visitors, but the current regions seem a bit too much. --globe-trotter 18:38, 5 February 2010 (EST)
- I see all islands of Thailand have this, including Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan. Maybe we could use the huge city template? --globe-trotter 21:06, 6 February 2010 (EST)
- Also I think the beach list could use some trimming. Most of them are empty, and Laem Sing doesn't even have any accommodation! --globe-trotter 22:07, 15 February 2010 (EST)
- And many of the islands I think should be moved to Phang Nga Province, Phang Nga Bay or something similar. --globe-trotter 18:04, 24 November 2010 (EST)
Payphones & misc telephone
It may be wise to describe the payphone situation:
- How many different types/providers there are?
- Access to 1800, 001800 & other free numbers? Payment required?
- Can you get cheap prepaid calling cards for international calls, and do they work from payphones?
Other issues to consider:
- Do mobile phones allow free access to free numbers? (FYI, NZ - yes, Aus - big fat no)
- Cost to call 1155 tourist police (landline/payphone/mobile)?
- emergency numbers (can usually lift from travel.state.gov)
- Example International call prices?
- VoIP - is it legal? is it feasible?
184.108.40.206 08:59, 20 May 2011 (EDT)
There should be NO specific scuba listings in a region article. The following need to be placed in the relevant town article, if they are not there already.
- Geo Expedition Similan Dive Center, 13/61 Moo 7 Khao Lak, Khuk Kak, Takuapa, Phang Nga (Opposite Bangkok bank in the center of Khao Lak), ☎ +66 76 485 792 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Khao Lak's largest dive center offers diving in a friendly atmosphere with an experienced crew. Day trips and daily departing liveaboards to the Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock.
- Khao Lak Scuba Adventures, 13/47 Moo 7, Kuk Khak, Takuapa, Phang Nga 82190 Thailand, ☎ +66 76 485 602 (fax: +66 76 485 607). Daily departures by our fast and comfortable speedboats to Similan Islands, Koh Bon Islands or Richelieu Rock.
- Kon-Tiki Phuket Diving & Snorkeling Center . 30 years of experience in Thailand catering divers and snorkelers from around the world. PADI 5 star dive center & GoEco operator. Daily diving and snorkeling trips to Phi Phi Islands, Racha Islands, Shark point and Similan Islands.
- Kamala Diving Center: Merlin Divers Co., Ltd. , PADI dive courses and day trips & liveaboard excursions around Phuket. Retailer of water sports gear and sportswear.
- Dive Asia , Phuket's first Padi 5 Star CDC Center, offers a full range of diving services: liveaboards to the Similan/Surin National Parks, daytrips to Phuket's local dive sites and Padi diving courses and IDCs.
- Phuket dash Scuba dot Com , Liveaboards to Similan, Surin, Phi Phi & Hin Daeng as well as day trips to all Phuket dive sites and training from try dives to PADI professional level.
- Sunrise Divers , PADI 5 Star Dive Resort specialising in Liveaboards.
- Just Dive It  Connects to Worldwide dive and sail  with longer liveaboards to the Similan and Surin National Parks.
- ALOHA  offers snorkeling rental gear, SNUBA diving, and scuba diving courses for all ages and abilities.
- West Coast Divers 
- Similan Diving  Liveaboards and overnight adventures to the Similan and Surin Islands
- Thailand Divers, Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand. Tel: 0 7629 2052 
- Tec Divers, Phuket, Thailand. 
- Santana, Diving and Snorkling  Patong Beach, Padi 5 Star IDC Center, 30 years of experience, English and German instructors available. Daily (Day)-Trips and (MV Discovery) LiveAboards, PADI Courses, Gear Rental.
SweetDreamers  offer sailing day trip to Coral Island for snorkeling with just 6 people on board.
Kon-Tiki Phuket Diving & Snorkeling Center . 30 years of experience in Thailand catering divers and snorkelers from around the world. PADI 5 star dive center & GoEco operator. Daily diving and snorkeling trips to Phi Phi Islands, Racha Islands, Shark point and Similan Islands.
- Aloha Ocean Adventures -  Highly Rated Small Group Full day Sightseeing & Snorkeling Tours to Phi Phi, Racha Yai and the Khai Islands. Premium Tours - Check for their online specials.
- Kon-Tiki Phuket Diving & Snorkeling Center - Dedicated snorkeling program to Phi Phi islands, Racha Yai, Coral island, Koh Khai islands and Similan islands. Depart every day from Phuket.
- Coral Seekers  luxury speedboat charters.
- Thailand Divers, Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand. Tel: 0 7629 2052 
Day trip snorkeling tour by Mari Tour Phuket 
- Phuket Islands trip by Phuket Thailand Trip 
- ALOHA SNUBA Thailand SNUBA dive tours Phuket, Thailand