It's not the escarpment that modifies the climate, it's the lakes. Get away from the lakes and the escarpment does nothing for the climate -- no grapes in Georgetown!
Also, there are fruit trees in the Annapolis valley in Nova Scotia, and grapes in Prince Edward county (again, the area is surrounded by Lake Ontario).
Hamilton was recently added as one of the Cities in this article. I'm good with that; I think Hamilton fits better in Niagara than it does in the GTA. However, technically, Hamilton isn't part of Niagara Region, so I'm wondering if it would make sense to rename this article to something else. From a geographical standpoint Niagara Peninsula would include Hamilton, although the expression isn't always used to include Hamilton, so it's not a perfect suggestion. Any better suggestions? Thanks, JYolkowski 23:14, 24 August 2008 (EDT)
- Looks like no-one had any better ideas. So, any objections to me moving the page? If not, I think I'll move the page next week. If anyone does object, please let me know beforehand since it would involve a fair amount of work changing IsIn tags and the like, so I don't want to move the page and then have to undo it. Cheers, JYolkowski 17:54, 2 December 2008 (EST)
- WAIT-what about Golden Horsehoe or Niagara Escarptment? Those would fit! edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 17:57, 2 December 2008 (EST).
- Golden Horseshoe is the parent region for this region, so that won't work. The Niagara Escarpment idea is an interesting one. The escarpment is the most significant geographical feature of the City of Hamilton and Niagara Region and I do like the idea of naming the article after the escarpment. The only problem is to find an article title that includes Hamilton and Niagara and not the rest of "Escarpment Country" (when I Googled that phrase, the first few hits were for places like Milton, Caledon, etc. so it may require some thought to come up with a title that fits). JYolkowski 18:21, 2 December 2008 (EST)
- i dont see the problem with escarpment...lol...watchin too much eweather network-they mention it lots. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 18:29, 2 December 2008 (EST)
- Still trying to come up with a good escarpment-related title; if I think of something I'll post it here. Another idea that I had was Hamilton-Niagara; that might work. Doing some digging, I also thought of Lincolnshire, which is a perfect fit geographically, but I don't think the term's been used for 100 years so it would be a poor choice for a travel guide. JYolkowski 18:25, 3 December 2008 (EST)
- What's wrong with just Niagara Escarpment I still don't see any problems. Includes Hamilton, etc. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 18:32, 3 December 2008 (EST).
- The Niagara Escarpment area would also include Milton, Halton Hills, Caledon, the Bruce Peninsula, etc. JYolkowski 20:01, 4 December 2008 (EST)
Again-but, this is WT, you can modify things. It does not have the be the official one. We can make sure it doesnt include the GTA! I didnt think parts of it would. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 20:04, 4 December 2008 (EST).
- True, but the traveller comes first, and we don't want to confuse them. JYolkowski 15:39, 7 December 2008 (EST)
That is what I mean by that. Otherwise Vatican city would be its own place and UBC would be a seperate area. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 16:15, 7 December 2008 (EST).