OK, some explanations:
- For easy editing I regrouped the code and text in different blocks. I think this is much easier to edit than the actual main page. (Sorry to say, but the indentations are horrible and confusing.)
- I got rid of the big destinations column. It was only a list of countries grouped by continent, and to me it had no particular value. If country articles do get better than the CIA stuff we can move them under Selected articles - New destinations.
- I moved the Community column up to a more prominent place and expanded the subsections. This is handier for newcomers.
- I changed "Featured articles" into "Selected articles". I think we "feature" over 700 articles, but only a few are "selected" here.
- I changed the layout of the subsections. They are like this: followed by articles on the same line. This way the length of the page is shorter and less scrolling is needed.
- I changed "Hot topics" into "Specific topics". I couldn't figure out what was so hot about these articles. I'm pretty sure there must be a better term yet.
- I'll try to play around with the colours (especially "Community") to make it a bit softer.
DhDh 12:28, 25 Nov 2003 (PST)
- Ummm... I think "featured" means "highlighted" here. I'm not sure the blandification of the language is necessary. A "hot topic" is just a featured travel topic. Do you just want to call them "Travel Topics"? Topic is such a wide-open word. Otherwise, this looks great to me. -- Evan 13:38, 25 Nov 2003 (PST)
No problem with feature (I looked it up in a dictionary :-) I didn't like "Hot topics" because I thought it wasn't "specific" enough, but I don't really like "Specific topics" either. "Travel topics" is better -- or what about "Travel themes"? Oh, and I was thinking about renaming "News": what do you think about "Logbook"? DhDh 14:02, 25 Nov 2003 (PST)
- Well, I have one last comment. This page looks an awful lot like the Wikipedia Main Page. Is that really what we want? -- Evan 13:35, 27 Nov 2003 (PST)
AFAIC the answer is: no, not really. The problem is, I don't have enough imagination right now to make it different :-) I'll have a look at other websites (taking the TourBus) to get more ideas. And perhaps 6 December is too soon. DhDh 13:59, 27 Nov 2003 (PST)