Destination of the week ??
What would other contributors think about replacing Destination of the Month on the Main Page with Destination of the Week ? A weekly changeover might create more interest by showcasing more destinations and creating an appearance of greater vitality..... A month is a long, loooooong time on the web! Pjamescowie 16:52, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- Maybe first we need a place to discuss which articles might be worthy of being the featured destination. Then, if the queue of good articles is too long, we can switch to weekly. I personally don't have a feel for how many truly complete articles are available for featuring. -- Colin 17:02, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- I second the idea of an Article of the Week. I also propose that it be chosen democratically: we create a talk page for suggested Pages of the Week, put our user name next to the one that we choose, and have discussions there about why each page should become an article of the week. Chip 20:16, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- We'd run out of articles very quickly. We only have so many articles that are complete enough to showcase them. -- Nils 04:17, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- I suggested that we move to a Weekly basis partly to emulate the success that Wikipedia has had with the weekly featured article..... The aim can be not only to showcase completed articles, but also to stimulate extra contributions. Wikipedia concentrates on taking a stub and improving it - we're probably not ready for that yet (or are we?) - whereas we could experiment with taking a reasonably good destination, showcasing it and urging improvements..... I also agree with the democratic choice option - it's easy enough to organise shows of support, as Wikipedia does with its featured article. Shall we go ahead and implement this? Opinions? Finally, what's with starting the month (if it must be monthly....) on the 19th? Couldn't we push it forward / back to the 1st for neatness? Pjamescowie 07:06, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- Just leave Geneva up until July 31st, then put something new there. I like the idea of taking some stub to try and get people to improve on it, but I'd say our userbase isn't yet big enough. I'd suggest adding a second "Feature Box" called "Help Wanted". Change that weekly, and include a direct link to the stub list page. Keep Destination of the Month as it is now for the "readers". -- Nils 08:55, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
Destination of the week ??
I too believe that we should have a Destination of the week instead of the destination of the month. In order to guarantee some kind of fairness for all the differente countries, we could do something like FIFA was trying to do, that is, each week we choose a new destination fo the week with a place from a different continent, after 5 weeks the first continent gets a new place
Destination of the Month
I'm adding a link to an "archive" article to the mainpage. Who / how is Dest. of month decided? Is Geneva June or July 2004? -- Nils 04:08, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- Good question - there should be some indication as to which month we're talking about..... Also (and I riased this question in Talk:Main Page), mightn't it be a good idea to make it Destination of the Week? This would probably increase interest, showcase more articles, and create an impression of greater vitality (a month is such a long, loooooong time on the web.....). Any opinions? Pjamescowie 16:57, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- Geneva was on there in June, so I'm assuming that we need something new. I guess anyone can choose. Though I wonder if there is a script in the Mediawiki software that could be used to change it automatically? There must be, since Wikipedia has a daily featured article. --Dawnview 02:49, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- We only have a handful articles long enough to be featured... Most is really very, very stubby still.- Destination of the Month works well, in my opinion. At least for now. I think what we should do is put nominations on the talk page of Main page and someone (Evan maybe?) arbitrarily choses one of them on every 1st. A nomination must have a picture too. Also, any given location should only ever be DoM once, unless there is a very special reason (say, it hosts olympic games or football championship; then it may make sense to feature it even for a second time) or we ever happen to run out of articles... -- Nils 04:27, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)~
- I believe that the month in Dest. of the Month starts on the 19th of the month, so the changeover should happen two days from now, unless we seek to reset the clock, which would make it a very short month for whatever page goes up for July 19th - 31st. Or, perhaps to be fair we can roll it back two days at a time until we hit the 1st going backwards. -- Mark 05:40, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
Oh, and, should we move this to Talk:Main Page? -- Nils 04:27, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- Yeah, probably -- Mark 05:40, 17 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- I plunged forward and created Wikitravel:Destination of the Month candidates, modeled on Wikipedia's Featured article candidates. Add candidates to the page itself, and discuss the selection logic in the Talk page. Jpatokal 10:08, 18 Jul 2004 (EDT)
Off the Beaten Path
This sentence makes uses a word "invew" that is not found in any dictionary:
"It has excellent hiking options full of scenic vistas and offers an invew of an American small town feeling."
I'd suggest "It has excellent hiking options full of scenic vistas and offers an American small town feeling."
DavisGL 11:09, 17 March 2011 (EDT)