BEFORE YOU EDIT THE MAIN PAGE: Please refer to the Main Page guidelines before editing the Main Page.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please take general discussions about Wikitravel to the travellers' pub. This talk page should be about the Main Page itself, not about Wikitravel in general. -- Evan 11:18, 3 Oct 2003 (PDT)
- Cologne Blue is evil → Talk:Main Page/Cologne Blue is evil
- Activities section → Talk:Main Page/Activities
- Romanian version → Wikitravel talk:Romanian Wikitravel
- New Main Page layout → Talk:Main Page/New layout
- Main Page policy → Wikitravel:Main Page policy
- Travel calendar → Wikitravel:Travellers' pub
- New, New Main Page layout → Talk:Main Page/New new layout
- December 2003 to April, 2004 Discussion → Talk:Main Page/Dec 2003 to Apr 2004
Change to use new Romanian layout?
So, I really like the new Romanian portal layout (ro:Portal). How do people feel about adapting it for en:?
I'd like to get in the habit of having a featured city or area on the site, just because it looks nice. Also, when a place has some kind of timeliness to it, we can both show that we have info about the place, and get more input.
For example: Portland (Oregon) is having its Festival of Roses in the next couple of weeks. Featuring Portland would be a great way to attract contributors and get the page really in shape.
Another good example would be Athens for the Olympic Games.
Any input? --Evan 16:14, 29 May 2004 (EDT)
- Excellent idea! Guaka 09:44, 1 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- Yeah! That 'is' a really good idea. -- Mark 10:11, 1 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- I've been hoping we'd do this... Majnoona 11:54, 1 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- I made a sample at User:Matthewmayer/Portal, please amend as you see fit Matthewmayer 13:32, 18 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- This looks great! I say, copy it to the Main Page ASAP. --Evan 13:50, 18 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- This looks excellent! The only comments/suggestions I have are to limit the bottom left cell by length, not number of log entries so you can have 2 long ones or three short ones. That might get rid of the extra whitespace at the bottom right. Also, you might want to add a bit of cellpadding or something to give the text some space off the table borders. But this is all real nit-pickey. I'd say go ahead and copy it over! Majnoona 20:12, 18 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- The layout looks great, I think too. It's great to see that the Romanian layout has been used! Just a note - why don't we the CSS scrollbar effect for the news, so that they can be packed in a smaller space. Other than that, it would be great. Ronline 04:35, 19 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- Right, have copied to the Main Page! Matthewmayer 14:09, 19 Jun 2004 (EDT)
It would be nice if pictures on the main page linked to the article they belong to, and not to the picture page. Newcomers don't care about this page, they care about Geneva. Guaka 13:06, 22 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- I agree. -- Mark 04:51, 23 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- My motivation in placing the Middle East on the Main Page as a separate destination category was two-fold (at least): 1. the Middle East is not adequately represented only in Asia, as several countries considered to be in the "Middle East" are located in North Africa (e.g. Egypt, Libya, Sudan, etc); 2. the Middle East is sufficiently culturally distinct from the rest of Asia to warrant its own category (compare Jordan with China, for example.....). Pjamescowie 16:52, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
I changed all headlines into links, with the exceptions of Tools and Other Languages which do not have appropriate index pages. Looking at this comment page, that seems to have been the case in the past too. Anyway, my reasons: 1) I kept wanting to click on the headlines, 2) It's easier for blind people to find a link for, say, "Europe", if it's named Europe and not "more". -- Nils 07:26, 15 Jul 2004 (EDT)
Destination of the week ??
What would other contributors think about replacing Destination of the Month on the Main Page with Destination of the Week ? A weekly changeover might create more interest by showcasing more destinations and creating an appearance of greater vitality..... A month is a long, loooooong time on the web! Pjamescowie 16:52, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- Maybe first we need a place to discuss which articles might be worthy of being the featured destination. Then, if the queue of good articles is too long, we can switch to weekly. I personally don't have a feel for how many truly complete articles are available for featuring. -- Colin 17:02, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- I second the idea of an Article of the Week. I also propose that it be chosen democratically: we create a talk page for suggested Pages of the Week, put our user name next to the one that we choose, and have discussions there about why each page should become an article of the week. Chip 20:16, 16 Jul 2004 (EDT)