India has many large and famous cities. Below is a list of the most well-known. Other cities are listed under their specific regional section.
 Largest cities
- New Delhi, the Capital of Ancient Bharat (then called "Indraprastha") and Modern India - The political capital of India
- Bangalore - The Garden City, Pub City, Silicon Valley of India, Land of Silk, Gold, Sandal Wood, Incense etc.
- Bombay (Mumbai) - The financial capital of India, "Bollywood" (Indian Film Industry's hub)
- Calcutta (Kolkata) - Known as City of Joy.
- Hyderabad - Pearl city of India, and part of the Silicon Plateau with Bangalore
- Madras (Chennai) - City of Temples, Home of famous Marina Beach, Automobile Capital of India
- Pune - Pune is located in the Western India and is Maharashtra's cultural capital.
 Tourist destinations
- Agra - Home of the Taj Mahal
- Amritsar - The Golden Temple, Sikh holy city
- Shimla - The summer capital of former British India is a small jewel in the lush Himalayan foothills.
- Srinagar - Famous for Dal lake, located in the picturesque Himalayas
- Varanasi - A sacred Hindu city located on the banks of the Ganges.
 Other destinations
- National reserves, sanctuaries Thekkady, Muthumala, Yercaud, Kumarakom
- Hill StationsOoty, Kodaikanal, Munnar, Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Ladakh, Leh, Kufri, Auli, Narkanda, Kullu, Manali, Dharamsala, Dalhousie, Lahaul, Spiti, Sarahan, Nainital, Mussoorie, Rishikesh, Char Dham, Kumaon, Garhwal, Gangtok, Darjeeling, Zanskar, Nandi Hills
- Beaches Kovalam, Beaches in Goa, Andaman and Nicobar.
 Sacred sites
As the birth place of several world religions, India is home to many sacred and holy sites:
- Ajanta Caves, Maharashtra State - a complex of caves representing some of the best of early Buddhist art.
- Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh - Birth Place of Lord Rama.
- Bodh Gaya, Bihar State - the place where the Buddha Shakyamuni attained enlightenment.
- Ellora Caves, Maharashtra State - a complex of caves representing Buddhism, Brahmanism and Jainism.
- Guruvayur, Kerala - Bhulooka Vaikuntam, abode of Lord Sri Guruvayurappan
- Golden Temple, Punjab State - the site of the holiest Sikh temple.
- Haridwar/Rishikesh, Uttaranchal State - Important pilgrimage centres.
- Karnak temple on the East coast with erotic sculpture
- Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh - the site of the Buddha Shakyamuni's death.
- Madurai, Tamil Nadu - Temple of Goddess Meenakshi and Lord Sri Sundareswara(Shiva).
- Mahabalipuram a seaside temple town South of Madras
- Manthralayam, Andhra Pradesh - Sri Guru Ragavendhra Temple
- Mathura, Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh - Birth Place of Lord Krishna
- Nalanda, Bihar State - Site of an early Buddhist University/monastic center
- Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh is the site of a great Buddhist stupa.
- Sarnath, near Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh - the site of the deer park where the Buddha Shakyamuni first taught the Buddha Dharma.
- Swamithoppepathi, Tamil Nadu - The head quarters of religion of Ayyavazhi.
- Tirupati and Tirumala, Andhra Pradesh - Kaliyuga Vaikuntam, abode of Lord Sri Venkateswara
- Tiruvallur, Tamil Nadu - Temples of Sri Vaidhya Veeraraghava Swami and Sri Viswaroopa Panchamukha AnjaneyaSwami
- Tiruvannamalai,Tamil Nadu - Temple of Lord Shiva