It would be good if a map of Hangzhou was provided.
I was going to externally link one, but then I read the below wikiTravel suggestion...here's the link if somebody wants to figure out how to insert it: http://hot.dahangzhou.com/top/map/
- See Wikitravel:Mapmaking_Expedition for discussion of mapmaking.
- See Wikitravel:External_links for why we might not want to link to external maps.
I feel the Learn section was link spam -- it contained nothing but links to two schools. So I deleted it. --Rogerhc 15:04, 21 July 2006 (EDT)
- What else would the Learn section be for, but to list university, schools or other locations where you can learn things in the area? Normally a little blurb describing the school is nice, but it doesn't always happen. The Big City template's description of that section is:
- If there are opportunities for travellers to study in this city -- from language to cooking classes up to full university courses -- add that here.
- I've restored (and formatted) the section for now because I don't think it was link spam. I'd also like to understand your opinion on these links a bit more so please don't feel like I am slighting you. -- Ilkirk 15:44, 21 July 2006 (EDT)
This edit removed a few restaurants with no explanation. Jpatokal 06:07, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- Jpatokal - My first edit on wikitravel. I am sorry did not post explanations. All deleted restaurants have closed. Is this the place to add more restaurants and bars etc? I could put 30 or 50 more up on this page. What is a good number? Morehangzhou 01:37, 3 June 2007 (EDT)
- Any time you remove something, it's a good idea to explain why in the Summary field just above the "Save page" button. Simply typing "closed restaurants" is enough. We don't want lists of 30-50 items, because that's just too much for travelers to choose from. Instead pick the best or most popular ones in each category, or the ones that visitors would be most likely to enjoy. - Todd VerBeek 11:59, 3 June 2007 (EDT)
- Noted. Thanks for advice. If you need anything specific to be done, let me know.Morehangzhou 03:08, 4 June 2007 (EDT)
Jerry the taxi driver
Is this worthy of inclusion, even after rewording? Cabbies who speak English even on this level are after all pretty rare in China... Jpatokal 03:21, 23 September 2007 (EDT)
I found maybe I'm first Hangzhou taxi driver at here. I search my English name use Google and found this page, it's my lucky day! you know, I'm only one taxi driver who can speak English and also have guide licence in Hangzhou, most of foreign companys in Hangzhou all like use my service, if you want know me more, please check my homepage: www.hangzhoutaxi.com.
Unsure about this review of the Hangzhou zoo
I'm unsure whether we should be keeping this review of the Hangzhou zoo:
- Hangzhou Zoo, (杭州动物园 Hángzhōu Dòngwùyuán). It has pandas and everything and is conveniently located just south of the lake, but it is not recommended to visit most zoos in China, as the animals are exploited and treated poorly (generally speaking). At least stay away from the dog exhibit. This zoo is definitely one of the worst ones in China. Besides a few animals which have good cages (mostly water-animals) it has terrible conditions for the panda, most bears and other larger animals like the elephants. Still, they made improvements compared to a few years ago, and it seems it's mostly the missing support of larger investments that seems to hinder further development in a better zoo. The entrance fee includes a circus-style animal show with tigers, lions, bears and elephants that is particularly entertaining for children (if a little depressing for adults).
Although the review is negative, (as it should be), if we don't recommend people visit this zoo, should we really have it listed in the first place? Thoughts? --14:31, 21 October 2008 (EDT)MarinaK.
Either put it into a "Don't" section, or leave it in. It is useful info after all.
- we should just give the facts - let the traveller choose. not visiting doesn't necessarily improve conditions.. i've tweaked it a bit. --Inas 01:30, 3 May 2009 (EDT)
My family visited the zoo yesterday, September 3, 2010 and we had a lovely time. The animal habitats are not perfect, but are they in any zoo anywhere? We found the meandering paths and environment a good activity for our three year old son, who loved the alligators and bears. The one caution I would mention is the central animal arena where they put on hourly shows with sad animals doing silly circus tricks. Other than that, the zoo was a nice experience and we would recommend if for families with kids.
If I had'nt read the above I proberly would have brought my kids to the zoo. When the Zoo is'nt mentioned as "a place to go", I just thougt, it was too ordinery to be mentioned.
The info can be useful in two ways. As an recommendation to stay away or be used as an appeal to visit, see the horrible conditions for yourself, and act on them.