Upgrade to Star
I am planning to upgrade this article to Star, so have added the checklist below to keep track of what still meeds to be done. Peter (Southwood) Talk 02:05, 11 October 2010 (EDT)
- The site is named Complies.
- Type of site specified Complies.
- Geographical location given in general terms Complies.
- Nearest major landmark, near Complies.
- Nearest City in Complies.
- Region in Complies.
- Country. Complies.
- A map showing the position and layout of the site in some detail, preferably to scale. Complies.
- Reason/s why one would choose to dive the site. Needs work
- GPS position for the site. Should put a diver at least somewhere on the site, specify where if possible specify where.
- Alternative range and bearing or cross bearings to well defined and reasonably close landmarks. Photos of landmarks desirable. Complies.
- distance from launch site or harbour for boat access (km or N.miles) Not yet.
- Optional image of whatever the site is named after Not applicable.
- Explanation of origin of the site name, translation if applicable. Complies.
- Maximum depth to be expected on the site Complies.
- If applicable, shallowest point of the site Complies.
- Range of visibility to be expected when conditions are generally considered suitable for diving. Complies.
- Description of the layout of the site
- General idea of slope, profile and rugosity
- Description of major features and landmarks
- Condition of wreckage if applicable
- Only for rocky reefs
- Type of rock, (geological age, name of formation optional)
- Strike and dip optional if applicable
- What weather conditions will result in good diving conditions.
- Any specific weather conditions which will result in unpleasant or hazardous diving conditions.
- Any special oceanographic or weather conditions the site is known for. (sudden offshore winds, upwellings, currents, plankton blooms, thermoclines etc) if applicable
- Information sufficient to allow a reasonably competent diver with a moderate understanding of the local weather and climate to forecast conditions during a planned dive over a short period (3 to 4 hours) when on site.
- Generally only for shore access dives
- Facilities must be in close walking range of parking area or entry points
- Facilities appropriate to divers and accompanying family only.(parking, ablution, fast food, dive services, picnic areas, security, beach, shade, etc)
- Adequate directions to reach the site
- A map or aerial photo indicating the position of entry/exit areas (only for shore entry ) if the main site map is not sufficient.
- Sufficient text for a person who has no local knowledge at all to find the site and identify any access areas with confidence.
- Photos of the standard entry and exit points if applicable.
Marine life and/or Features
- Photos of at least three organisms or features one may reasonably expect to see at the site
- Description of what a diver may see during a dive
- advice on photographic equipment (macro/wide angle, need for external lighting) if appropriate.
- photographic opportunities that may be expected or hoped for if applicable.
- generally at least one suggested or recommended route, with an indication of what the diver may expect to see. This may be a drift dive if applicable. "Follow the divemaster" is not really a route and will only be accepted if there are really good reasons, which are adequately explained
- Site specific hazards of any kind, including access hazards if applicable. "No site specific hazards known" is null default.
- Comprehensive listing of site related hazards (not regional hazards already in regional guide, ordinary diving hazards nor obvious sea/weather condition hazards). Advice on mitigation is optional.
- security problems and land based hazards may also be mentioned if applicable. (theft/mugging risk, animals stealing food etc)
- Skills or competence required for diving at the site, if any.
- Skills recommended for diving at the site, if any.
- "No special skills required/recommended" is null default.
- any equipment beyond the standard equipment listed for the region in the regional guide, either reqired or recommended for the site for safety of convenience. Reason should be specified if not obvious.
- "No special equipment required/recommended" is null default