Revision as of 00:02, 6 February 2007
Wow! Really fine job! Great work!Majnoona 17:30, 7 Jun 2004 (EDT)
I believe Chiang Mai is the fifth largest city in Thailand, and not the second largest.
Can someone double check or confirm the spellings of streets (and anything else)? I'm looking at a tourist map of Chiang Mai (which isn't exactly reliable) and it differs on a few of the street names, but I'm not sure if what's here is any more reliable than this is. For example: Nimmanhemin or Nimmanhaemin Road? Chaiyapoom or Chiayaphum? -- psychofish 01:23, 13 April 2006 (EDT)
- The names are in Thai, so they can be and regularly are spelled in English in dozens of different ways. Wikitravel attempts to follow RTGS, so eg. ชัยภูม should be rendered Chaiyaphum -- see Wikitravel:Romanization for the gory details. Jpatokal 02:40, 13 April 2006 (EDT)
- Unfortunately, I can't speak (or read) Thai-- so for the benefit of myself and other non-Thai-speaking writers, perhaps we should keep a list of "confirmed" or "nonconfirmed" spellings back here for our reference. -- psychofish 17:25, 13 April 2006 (EDT)
Dammit, the Porn Ping website does work, but the spam filter just blocks http://www.p*ornpinghotelchiangmai.com/. Jpatokal 04:51, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- The URL you(?) had there was an IP address, and it did not work: I clicked on it and got an error. At the time I edited the page it was [http://188.8.131.52 Porn Ping Tower] -- try it: Porn Ping Tower. -- Hypatia 05:04, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- The "dammit" was directed at the spam filter, not you... the site remains perfectly accessible at its real URL, but obviously the numeric IP has changed and I can't access it either. Sigh. Jpatokal 05:06, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- It's 184.108.40.206, but it looks like the hotel site is on a virtual host in which case the IP address can't work as the webserver is looking for the hostname in the request. Meanwhil, maybe we should tone down the language, since we have some very young contributors from time to time. ;) -- Mark 05:09, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Yes it is, but you cannot access the site by IP. Try it: http://220.127.116.11/ . They're probably using some kind of virtual hosting (multiple sites sharing an IP) so you need to request it by name to get the right site rather than the error. This is the second peril of linking to IPs; the other being that they change :( -- Hypatia 05:13, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Oops, sorry Mary, my update to my remarks above collided with your posts (twice I think), so now it looks like we are saying the same thing, I guess I ought to have added an addendum instead.. -- Mark 05:18, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- It's OK. For folks in future -- I didn't make an entire comment simply repeating Mark's comment, honest I didn't ;) -- Hypatia 05:20, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- I tried to find the real URL before removing the link entirely but Google was not helpful. I guess I should have looked at the page history. -- Hypatia 05:10, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
- It's fixed now. Sorry for the problems. I'm still trying to work out how to make the Wikitravel:spam filter work best. Input and comments very welcome. --Evan 15:19, 2 Nov 2004 (EST)
Who is removing my home videos off this page?
I have posted links to real nice short streaming home videos of Doi Suthep, Wararot Market, Khom Loy at the Loi Krathong festival and a Khantoke Dinner. I would store them here at Wiki but it doesn't suppot them. I have links to all my home videos posted on many forums and travel journal sites and everyone enjoys them. There are no advertisements or Spaming involved. These are just good home videos showing Chiang Mai, it's people and culture. Why are you removing them?
Hi Randy. I'm the one who removed the link to your video. I'm sure it's a great video and of interest to travellers, but we currently don't link to personal websites, blogs, photos, or videos (you can read more at Wikitravel:External links).Of course you are welcome to link to your videos. etcs from you user page. If you'd like you can also start at discussion specifically about linking to video if you think our current guidelines dont adress it. I really appreciate your contributions to the Thailnd guides and hope this doesn't put you off! Majnoona 18:56, 10 Jan 2006 (EST)